At least 76 people died in Norway in a terror attack July 22 that started with a bomb blast in the capital Oslo and continued with an hour-long gun rampage at a camp for Labour Party teens and young adults on nearby Utoya Island. Police arrested a lone gunman, Anders Breivik, 32.
[Updated at 1:22 p.m.]Â Here are the latest developments.
- Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg says an independent commission will be set up to investigate Friday's bombing in Oslo and shooting on Utoya Island. He said he hoped it would reduce the risk of such attacks happening again. His goal is for the commission to report back to parliament within a year, he said.
- Norway's police have released the names of 13 more of those killed in Friday's attacks. Twelve of them died on Utoya island, the scene of a mass shooting at a Labour Party youth camp. The 13th was killed in a blast targeting government buildings in Oslo. The youngest among them was 14-year-old Sharidyn Svebakk-Bohn.
-Â Police and members of the public rescued about 300 people from the waters around Utoya during and after the mass shooting, police said Wednesday.
- Police are using a mini-submarine and a special boat to search the waters around Utoya, local Police Chief Sissel Hammer says. People's personal effects have been found on the lake bottom, she says. "There is much work left" to do in securing evidence, she said, and the island will remain cordoned off.
- Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg rejected the idea that Norway lost its innocence in Friday's terrorist attacks and said he hopes the country will grow stronger in its commitment to its core values: "It's absolutely possible to have an open, democratic society and at the same time to have security measures and not to be naive," he said Wednesday.
- Jens Stoltenberg said he is thinking more about the victims of the attack than the suspect: "I think about the acts he committed, and they are horrifying - but in one way or another, I've created some distance to that man."
- President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden visited the Norwegian ambassador's residence in Washington Tuesday to "offer condolences to the people of Norway after the tragic killings that occurred last week," according to a White House statement.
- Police in Norway have released the first four names of victims of Friday's terror attacks. Three of the four identified died in an explosion outside government offices in Oslo. The fourth, named as 23-year-old Gunnar Linaker, died on Utoya island, scene of a mass shooting at a youth political camp.
- There are other countries involved in a Norwegian investigation into last week's terror attacks, police said in response to a question about suspect Anders Breivik's claim to have been in contact with terror cells abroad. Police declined to name the other countries, saying "the investigation is in Norway."
- Police investigating a terror attack in Norway last week will examine video footage and study the blast effects to determine where a bomb was placed, they said Tuesday.
- Police in Norway have 15 forensic scientists combing Utoya island for clues following a mass shooting there last week, they said Tuesday.
- Police in Norway declined Tuesday to say how many people are missing after a bombing and mass shooting that killed 76 people last week. They have said in the past that they were searching for four or five people.
- Police in Norway declined to say Tuesday where the suspect in last week's bombing and mass shooting is being held.Â At least 76 people were killed in the attacks.
- Police in Norway will release a partial list of the names of victims of Friday's terror attacks online Tuesday at 6 p.m., they said. They will post an update at 6 p.m. every day until all the victims have been identified, they added.
- Police in Norway have armed undercover officers on patrol, they said Tuesday, in the wake of last week's terror attack that left 76 people dead.
- Anders Breivik was "a little bit surprised" that his attacks succeeded, his lawyer Geir Lippestad says Tuesday, adding that Breivik had not expected to get to Utoya Island.
- The suspect was on drugs to make him stronger and more awake during the attacks, Lippestad says.
He says Breivik "may be" insane, but that it is too early to say if he will mount an insanity defense.
- Anders Breivik, 32, appeared in closed court Monday. Judge Kim Heger later says Breivik admits carrying out the attacks but claims they were necessary to prevent the "colonization" of the country by Muslims.
Breivik says the deaths are the price the Labour Party had to pay for its "treason," the judge says.
- Judge Heger orders Breivik held in custody for eight weeks, until his next court date. The first four weeks are to be in solitary confinement to prevent the possibility of tampering with evidence, the judge says.
- The suspect's father, Jens Breivik, tells Norway's TV2 that his son must have mental problems.
"In my darkest moments, I think that rather than killing all those people, he should have taken his own life," the father says, answering a reporter's question about mental illness by saying: "There is no other way to explain it. A normal person would never do such a thing."
- Police announce Monday that the number of confirmed dead in the bombing is eight, an increase of one from previous reports. The number of dead on Utoya is 68, down from earlier reports as high as 86. That makes the confirmed death toll 76, down from earlier reports of 93.
- Police say they are investigating Breivik claims that two other terror cells assisted him in the attack. They do not confirm the existence of the cells.
- Breivik is charged with two acts of terrorism, police spokesman Henning Holtaas says. The maximum sentence is 21 years in prison, with the possibility of an extension at the end of the term if the court rules Breivik is still a threat. Norway does not execute people.
- A 1,518-page manifesto bearing Breivik's name circulates online, containing rants about the rising number of Muslims in Europe, describing detailed plans for getting weapons, explosives and fake uniforms, and saying how to avoid detection by police while preparing the attack.
- Almost 200,000 people participate in a memorial Monday in downtown Oslo to honor the victims, authorities say.
- Ringerike hospital chief surgeon Colin Poole says he has never seen gunshot wounds like those of the victims from the island, and speculates the injuries were caused by expanding or "dum-dum" bullets, a hospital spokesman says. Police decline to comment on the type of bullets the gunman used.