July 28th, 2011

Latex Casey Anthony mask fetches almost $1 million on eBay

A big spender on eBay shelled out almost $1 million to get inside Casey Anthony's head.

A Los Angeles eBay user called "prophunter" wound up with six rubber renderings of Anthony's face that had been used in a parody video and put one of them up for auction on eBay. That first mask  garnered a winning bid of $999,900 Wednesday. It beat out 104 other bids that started at $25 on  Monday.

In the description field for the item, the seller billed it as "possibly the most frightening mask on the planet."

The mask's expression is, well, expressionless, capturing the image that became a national obsession over the course of Anthony's almost six-week trial for the 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. Anthony was acquitted on July 5, drawing the vocal ire of crowds outside the courthouse, social media users and television personalities nationwide.

On HLN's Showbiz News Tonight on Wednesday, Popeater.com columnist Rob Shuter pronounced then-active bidding "tasteless, but it is capitalism."

For comparison's sake, the most expensive set of Charlton Heston's stone tablets from "The Ten Commandments" fetched $87,000 at Christie's in 1995, which would be a little more than $120,000 today.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Justice
  1. Babs

This is what the winning bidder left in the feedback: You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to profit off a childs death!!! Buyer: Member ******* Jul-28-11 15:19
    CASEY ANTHONY LATEX RUBBER MASK EXT. RARE (#260823841484) US $999,900.00
    Do an advanced search on CA mask checking the box for "completed listings"" Then look at feedback profile for seller.

July 29, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. DEE

This should be a halloween mask and sould come complete with duct tape and heart-shaped stickers

July 29, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. James

What a sham. The buyer is probably CNN, FOX NEWS, NBC, ABC or CBS and the sale was for the benefit of Casey Anthony. Just a way to pay the lying murderer for an interview and then deny it. A sham, joke. Checkbook journalism is nothing more than capitalism, not any of the pie and the sky lofty goals that journalists profess all the time.

July 29, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. James

I hope she sues and gets her money off of this guy making cash off of her likeness. America needs her to start partying again.

July 29, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Susan G.

There is NO MONEY for that mask. The winning bidder has NO INTENTION of paying, and has left feedback for the seller already telling him that he should be ashamed of himself. AWESOME GUY! THANKS!

July 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

I will have to look at the news to see if in fact that $1M was a scam not to pay.

July 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J

I think this is horrific. The money should go to organizations and families that help and aid in the recovery of missing children/abused children, etc. I'm in total disgust.

July 29, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. eilsel

Go crawl back in your cave...

July 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tonya

I think its disgusting for whomever would want a mask of that P.O.S... Even though she was found not guilty of killing her daughter she still knows what happened to her. Somebody had asked me "what if she knows who did it and they are threatining her life if she tells" my answer "if somebody killed my kids and I knew who did it, if I didnt kill them first I would tell and I would tell them youve already taken my reason away for living so bring it" she should be absolutely ashamed of herself she is a horrible person and may she rott in hell...

July 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

This is a sick joke. I don't believe it for one minute. As stupid as soome people can be, no one would spend this type of money on a mask that has no real value. It is just a piece of latex and people who would have a milliion dollars to spend on anything they want, would not spend money on something with no value.

July 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. are122

I'm waiting to see a miniature set with 12 little jurors in dunce hats.

July 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Icefun

I'm thinking that when it comes time to pay – this guy will step up and say' "Oops...I lied. Guess you know a little about that now don't you CASEY."

July 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dano

You can thank the news media and Nancy Disgrace for all BS....She was found NOT GUILTY....Get over it already....That's our justice system for better or worse...Yeah, I didn't like the verdict either....

July 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louise from Toronto, Canada

For better or worse is when you get married. That phrase has nothing to do with the judicial system.

July 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. YouBetcha

Shouldn't there be a whole where her mouth is? Then at least it might actually serve a purpose.

July 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LordofBobz

Oh everyone is so whine and cry because they spent a million on a mask. why do you care? if he wants to waste his money go ahead. If the guy wants to sell it then good for him. You are all pathetic.

July 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marky

folks...go on Ebay yourself and you'll see that this article and the amount is pure crap....please.....

July 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |