July 28th, 2011

Latex Casey Anthony mask fetches almost $1 million on eBay

A big spender on eBay shelled out almost $1 million to get inside Casey Anthony's head.

A Los Angeles eBay user called "prophunter" wound up with six rubber renderings of Anthony's face that had been used in a parody video and put one of them up for auction on eBay. That first mask  garnered a winning bid of $999,900 Wednesday. It beat out 104 other bids that started at $25 on  Monday.

In the description field for the item, the seller billed it as "possibly the most frightening mask on the planet."

The mask's expression is, well, expressionless, capturing the image that became a national obsession over the course of Anthony's almost six-week trial for the 2008 death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. Anthony was acquitted on July 5, drawing the vocal ire of crowds outside the courthouse, social media users and television personalities nationwide.

On HLN's Showbiz News Tonight on Wednesday, Popeater.com columnist Rob Shuter pronounced then-active bidding "tasteless, but it is capitalism."

For comparison's sake, the most expensive set of Charlton Heston's stone tablets from "The Ten Commandments" fetched $87,000 at Christie's in 1995, which would be a little more than $120,000 today.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Justice
  1. TODAY

They forgot to put little hornes :))

July 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bill

Too bad the mouth doesn't open on that thing, amirite?

July 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Billy

Folks, anyone can bid any amount on ebay. I'll believe it when I see a cancelled check!

July 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jeff

Yes, the person who bought this can't afford his tax loop holes closed

July 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bfree

Next saga will be Casey suing them for selling her likeness without permission!

July 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

I think when you are a public figure you can't control the use of your likeness except in certain ways. Go on tv and wear that to advertise a product and you would probably lose your freedom, but just to make fun of her you could get away with a lot.

July 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LJ

It won't get paid for.

July 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wilson

I'm sure the buyer won't follow through. Even if it is a real buyer. Fake auction for publicity.

July 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. erich2112x

I'd wear it to church....and just start going, "psst, psst" to get people to turn around and look at me.

July 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • erich2112x

And start whispering faintly into the ears of the people sitting in the pew in front of me, " I did it".

July 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

Ummm, all you people saying this $ should have been used for something else are morons. What you should be saying is, why did some idiot shell out a million bucks for something that you can get done for a few hundred? I can take a picture of Casey to any custom costume/prop shop and they will make these masks (which is exactly what the original owner did). It just makes no sense. It's like paying a million bucks for a T-Shirt that says something on it.

July 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MoMO

Halloween, is around the corner.

July 28, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Oracle

Ebay branding propaganda. Just another e-bay hoax. Fake bid, fake win, fake money.

July 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck

Whoever bid this much did so to make sure he couldn't sell it. They will never pay the invoice.

July 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. black cat

How do you make someone like Casey LOOK like a monster?

It required quite a few subtle touches. I like the too-big eyes, the slightly misshapen ears, the too-tight hair and the sinister pouty lower lip.

You lot just don’t appreciate great art.

July 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Whadda

I think its all hype. They let the bid go that high just for fun. No one in their sane mind would pay that sum to get hold of a creepy mask.

July 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. paula

Who in the world would pay $1 million, for a rubber mask, of the most hated woman in the world?????? And what do you want with them? If you have that much money, to buy stupid $**t, then I'll send you my address, and you could send me a check!! I would put it to good use!!

July 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |