Gotta Watch: Windshield worries
A horse leaps onto a moving vehicle, startling the driver.
August 1st, 2011

Gotta Watch: Windshield worries

Driving can be dangerous, but it's not just distracted drivers or speeding-ticket dodgers that makes it so tricky. Sometimes road hazards can turn into near-death experiences. A piece of wood can become a dangerous projectile or a sneaky snake could ruin your summer travel plans. You've gotta watch how these windshield worries more than interrupted a few road trips.

Snake's surprise – Snakes must love modern transportation. They've slithered onto planes and stressed out Samuel L. Jackson and now, it appears they've taken a liking to automobiles. In this video a scaly serpent slides up a car's windshield as it cruises down the interstate. How would you have handled this scary situation?
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/08/01/dnt.tn.snake.surprise.wpty"%5D

Flying debris – A two-by-four unexpectedly flies through the windshield of a moving car. Luckily, no one was hurt. Get an inside view of the frightening event.

[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/04/06/exp.am.windshield.plywood.cnn"%5D

Now that's horse power – Imagine driving down a road when a horse literally runs over your car. The result is a compelling, if not shocking, video where the animal crushes the windshield and roof.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/08/05/vo.israel.horse.car.israelch2"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Gotta Watch • Snakes • Travel
  1. Child Endangerment

They said, they don't like snakes. Why would they continue going further into a situation that endangers the child in the back seat? If there was a snake on the windshield, then how about pulling over and looking for one under your seat, or one your child is sitting on?
    Ignorance is not an excuse. They were wrong in harming the snake, and endangering the child in the car. After they became aware of a distraction, they continued to laugh and ignore a distraction that could have caused an accident, and hurt the child/children in the back seat. They should be prosecuted under the Federal laws related to wildlife protection, and child endangerment.

August 1, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • RB2

I'd have pulled over and stomped on the snake repeatedly until I was sure that the saucy mess under my boot wasn't moving any more.

August 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • tres

Oh my goodness...please get a life.

August 1, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

Nice to know you're a confident, secure, caring individual, RB2, and that you don't consider yourself superior to things that frighten you and hence wish to do meaningless violence upon those things. Also glad to see you're a compassionate person who isn't entirely self-involved with his status as a human being...

August 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • a slozomby

because the odds of a snake working its way through your air conditioning are basically 1 in a billion. where as this snake slithered up into the engine compartment and then migrated to the windshield when the engine started.

August 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

"I didn't even think about pulling over" Mindless person. No clue. Stupid.

August 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • a guy

You are bright! I just know there is a federal law out there that protects snakes on windshields while barrelling down a highway. Under that same federal law it states that a driver must pull over and crush the snakes head in with a shovel like every other american would do. I think the feds need to prosecute now!
      As far as the child, is concerned we all know that they should have pulled onto the shoulder of a busy highway, while other cars are going about 65 mph, and remove the child from his seat to make sure the snakes cousin vinny is not hiding underneath. Just make sure the child stands on the shoulder of the highway while they do this so as not to be in the way of traffic.
      You are a looney toon... Get a life...

August 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You are so dumb. Common sense tells me that there isnt a snake inside the car. Please tell me how a snake is going to get into a sealed car. As far as i know, no snakes are capable of borrowing holes through sheet metal. The engine is easily accessible and warm which is why the snake was there in the first place.

August 1, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not On YOUR Life

You've got to be kidding me. Get over yourself. I'm not condoning animal cruelty, but that does not define what these people did. There's no way I would have gotten out and checked under the car. While anything is possible, I wouldn't have thought about checking in the car. What would you propose next? Life in prison for bouncing a check?

August 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TiredofRightyTighty

I'm no snake expert in the midwest, but I keep chickens on the east coast, and my children and I catch non venomous snakes all the time in the chicken pen, and put them in a bucket, drive them down the road, and let them go. People fear sharks even though they seldom harm humans(especially if they are not in the water), and this snake looks non venomous,definately not a water moccassin stated by the husband in the video. Snakes are a part of the enviornment and they do a job, and guess what humans are a product of...what job do we do except screw this place up?

August 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Guys

Get a clue, most snakes are harmless. The only venomous snakes that don't have rattles in the US are water moccasins, copperheads, and coral snakes ...all of which are dead easy to ID. If a snake doesn't have a rattle and it isn't one of those 3 ...it's harmless.

It's almost certainly a corn snake or gray rat snake based on the markings and the shape of the head. Both are harmless (non-venomous) and rarely bite even when handled. They also feed almost entirely on rodents, and thus are of great economic benefit (especially to agriculture) even if you aren't a bleeding heart animal lover. It's certainly not a pit viper of any kind. There was no reason to not pull over and let it escape save ignorance.

August 1, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gals

Please, there's plenty of reason. It surprised us, it's hot outside, the kids are already aggitated, just don't feel like it...I mean the list goes on and on. It's one snake, and I'm sure it won't make that same mistake twice (especially since it probably was flattened...). Jeez, have a memorial service for it why don't you (and the rest of you who are so offended).

August 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

I'm personally not "offended" by your behavior, Gals, I just happen to find your mindless, careless, self-importance rather droll. Instead of acting like a frightened cave man who jumps at sounds in the night, why don't you progress to an enlightened state of humanity and realize that the life of something "less than" you might in fact be more beneficial to the world than your meager contributions will ever be. ie. you, as a human, do nothing to help the world in its natural state, that snake, however, does...

August 1, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gals

Awww, thanks MJ Shaw. This is fun, we should do it more often ;o)

But I do actually have to get back to my life now...carry on! (Hope you get the top score for number of comments...you've got 3 that I can see on this page so far–keep it up! You might actually gain something from this, in absence of having a life) Ta-Ta!

August 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realist4200

MJ – I couldn't have said it better myself. Much respect to you

August 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You are a twidigit softie, it it wasnt a public form I would tell ya exactly what ya are. chi9ld endangerment, crulity to anamals, what about impeeding traffic, Yea he stops to let the little snakey wakey go and gets clipped by another motorist? I want to put a snake on youe airplane jerk so you can apply the air brealks to let the thing go.

August 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • vonspoo

geez gals, don't you have some kittens to stomp on or something? what kind of special people does it take to not just pull over instead of possibly causing an accident? could you possibly be any more self centered and self important? ohhh geee the kids were crabby.. so lets endanger the people behind us while we laugh and crush a snake to death hahahahaha! isn't that fun kids?

August 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Steve

I'm scared of babies if one crawls out on my car hood when I'm driving 70 down the highway...

August 1, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • troop40

LOL!!! That was great!

August 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Steve

I'm aslo scared of republicans....

August 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I'm scared of democrats. lol

August 1, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Carol

If you think I am going to pull over so it can get off your crazy. Who says it will slide off. I would keep going and if no cars were close throw on my breaks hoping it would fall off.

August 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ Shaw

I often want to slam on the accelerator pedal to teach dumb pedestrians and bicyclists a life lesson as well, but compassion always keeps me from doing so... Damn compassion, I really need to learn how to quit that habit.

August 1, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

No MJ, the law keeps you from hitting pedestrians.

August 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Please

Okay, okay.

I'm holding a memorial service in honor of the poor snake that was probably smashed into the hwy. All of you sniveling little babies please bring a candle and a $10 donation to the "Save the Snakes That Crawl onto Your Windshield While Your Driving Down the Hwy Minding Your Own Business Foundation" to the address below:

August 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • troop40

I think Child Endangerment and MJ Shaw should have to bring $100 a piece.

August 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. unafy

I am very happy for the horse smashed that bull man’s car, because he is driving toward animal!!!

August 1, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gary Canada

they should have turned on the windshield wipers to see what would happen 🙂

August 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scott

Wow, that snake video ruined my day. They obviously weren't scared – they were perfectly capable of driving, filming, and LAUGHING. They just couldn't be bothered to pull over. 'Dropped off and slithered on its merry way.' Right, at seventy miles an hour. Pretty sick CNN!

August 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Seth

Poor snake. 😦

August 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jake

Why do I have to watch the same commercial three times in order to watch these three videos? Isn't once enough? The intenet is getting worse than TV. Come on CNN.

August 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. scared of snakes

They drove by multiple offramps. Pull-off to the left, turn-on your hazards and just let it slither off. They didn't even need to consider getting something to help the snake to consider 'beatin' feet.' Watching that man speak, it's easy to see how effeminate he is. However, he's not so sensitive to consider that that animal needn't have died, for his video-'journalistic' pleasure. He could have gotten his "look at me!" facebook video, and allowed that creature to have slid-away into the grass and cover, which it surely would have done, if given the chance. Nice lesson for your children, guy. It's not that you're not a man; there's no question that you are not. The matter is about your lack of decency, when faced with a situation in which nothing needed to have died. Tisk, tisk. You are selfish, incompassionate, irresponsible and a coward. Aside from that, I'm sure you take care of every item on your 'honey-do' list with a smile on your face and a lispy 'yesss-dear.'

August 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Snake H8r

Anyone dumb enough to pull off a major highway- entrance ramp-or not. and get out fpor a snake whil endangering their HUMAN life & that of their family needs their license taken away permanently.

August 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jamie

Sounds like MJ Shaw needs to get la!d once in awhile. What a bitter loser.

August 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jakedaawg

"child endangerment"–People like you are the problem with America! It would be far more dangerous too pull over than to just continue on. You have a lot of rights in America, the "right not to be offended" is not one of them.

August 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |