August 2nd, 2011

Ancient ape skull found in Uganda

Scientists say they have found a 20 million-year-old fossil of an ape skull in Uganda.

A team of French and Ugandan paleontologists found the skull at a site called Napak XV, said team leader Martin Pickford, according to the news site The Hindu.

"This is the first time that the complete skull of an ape of this age has been found. ... (I)t is a highly important fossil and it will certainly put Uganda on the map in terms of the scientific world," Pickford said Tuesday in Kampala, according to France's Expatica.com.

The skull belonged to a male Ugandapithecus major, an ancestor of today's great apes.

The expedition was led by Pickford, of the Collège de France in Paris, and professor Brigitte Senut of the Paris-based National Museum of Natural History, reported Uganda's New Vision website.

The discovery will enhance understanding of the development of apes and humans, the scientists said.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • France • Science • Uganda
  1. banasy

@coffins:
    Who was stumped?

August 2, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

Ahhh, never mind. Evolution.

@leeintulsa:
    Maybe it was not a man's hand, but an ape.
    From 20 million years ago.

August 2, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. @Greg

you will never get him to name anything, because he makes thing up as he goes along. he is certifiably full of sh!t. good luck with him even answering you, greg, because he's a bible bully. that's the worst kind.

August 2, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

who ever you are, at least he knows God, what do you know? NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and SHUT THE BLANK UP !

August 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. James Amotta

Hey they found the Atheists ancestor.

August 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CSnSC

It makes no difference if I agree with you or not. If you just post PAGE AFTER PAGE of ANY book you are just an ASS practicing typing. It makes YOU look stupid. I have a large library here in my den, but nobody will care but lawyers if I F-ing post them here.

August 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mygrandsonsapuppy

Well...you need God to understand scripture. Most of Bible phrophesy has already been fullfilled...to the letter! Only a small portion left to be fullfilled and it's happening daily.

August 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gaunt

Please provide a specific example of ANY Bible prophecy that has been fulfilled. You said 'almost all of them have' so it should be easy for you to provide just ONE. Unless, of course, you are a pathalogical liar.

Oh and claiming prophesies such as "something big will happen someday in a country somewhere" was fufilled by the events of 9/11 is flagrantly desperate and dishonest. So please provide a specific example.

Well?

August 3, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

So there were apes in uganda 20 million years ago? Who'd have thunk it?

August 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. leeintulsa

@mygrandson...: Claim what you want, there were never good times from which to now descend to bad times. They are just times..

Lots of rose-colored history books out there. As a child, i was taught how to hide under my desk at school from a nuclear blast. My parents waited *in lines* only on certain days of the week to get gasoline.

We have it so bad. The world's gone mad, we're all gonna die, yada yada yada. Same as it ever was.

I wish you people would just get taken up already. Leave me behind. Please..

You pathetic souls who seek some sort of end times because your sad little lives aren't worth living make me sick.

August 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Listen to leeintulsa.
    Just times.
    And rumors of times.

August 3, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I believe that the fossil is a sign.
    I don't know what it means, but I believe that it's some kind of sign. Of something.
    We just have to figure out what message is being communicated to us by this sign.
    It can be proven that the fossil was caused by a force.
    Perhaps I can build my church on this fossil and make a lot of money.

August 3, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. mygrandsonsapuppy

@leeintulsa I don't expect you to understand. Just the fact that you call me names and get so hateful, is a sign of the times. You don't even know me and yet you judge me, think you know what I believe and say hateful things. In the past 100 years or so, we've gone from horse and buggy to Rockets and Space travel. Never before in the history of mankind, could the final prophesys be fullfilled but with the high-tech we have...Revelation makes perfect sense. I grew up in the same era you did and I remember a time when kids were taught respect and manners. These days, most kids OR adults don't have either. The list goes on but I won't bore you. I wish you well. Peace.

August 3, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. "For people will become lovers of money...

...rather than lovers of God."

August 3, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. "Having a religion...

...but proving false to it's power."

August 3, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Actually

Ancient Uganda was found to have replaced where once a skull had been. The skull had turned back into the dust it was made of to begin with long, long ago

August 3, 2011 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. mygrandsonsapuppy

There are over 200 specific prophesies alone regarding the Messiah in the old Testament. EXACTLY when he'd be born (to the day!), where he'd be born, how he'd die, how the people would treat him and those are just a few. I don't understand why people that talk badly about the Bible usually haven't really read it. There are so many things that have been fullfilled in the History of the Jews but you, Gaunt, need to do your own research. Israel becoming a nation! No one saw that coming, but it had been prophesied and it happened.

August 3, 2011 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |