'Police Academy' actor and NFL star Charles 'Bubba' Smith dies
August 3rd, 2011

'Police Academy' actor and NFL star Charles 'Bubba' Smith dies

Former NFL star and movie actor Charles Aaron "Bubba" Smith has died, the Los Angeles Coroner's Chief of Forensic Examinations said.

Smith spent nine seasons in the NFL as a defensive end in the '60s and '70s. He's perhaps best known for his role as Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

Police and fire officials were called to Smith's Baldwin Hils house after "he was found unresponsive," and pronounced him dead, said Ed Winter, assistant chief of operations and investigation for the coroner. The body will be taken to the coroner's office, where an autopsy will be performed to determine cause of death, Winter said.

SI.com: The NFL goes Hollywood

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. brokenteeth

Man I loved him in Police Academy.

August 3, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jaynicia

AWWW MAN!! Police Academy was on this weekend on Comedy Central!

RIP Bubba...one of the good ones...

August 3, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MikefromKenner

As we all look back, I will forever remember when he failed to hit the brakes because Mahoney didn't tell him. The look on that guys face was priceless and that moment was one of those classics. He is known for so much more, but each of us, in our own way, will remember him in a way that will preserve him forever!

August 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Norman

RIP I still watch Police Academy. I grew up on it. I loved this guy. They don't make them like that anymore!

August 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jmwarren

Bubba lived down the hall from me at Michigan State. A true gentleman, now here's a funny story for you. All dorm rooms were shared, and they put a genious14 year old in the same room. So Bubba has a girl over in the middle of the night, and naturally they're making some noise, the kid wakes up and starts screaming bloody murder. Everyone on the hall woke up to see what the hell was going on. It's still a laugh for all of those who were there. BTW, one of the best football players in college/pro history.

August 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Matt

Even in death, NFL QB's are still afraid of this guy and rightly so. He was such a fearsome player than Tom Brady should be on the lookout for a supernatural blitz from The Other Side. Bubba will be missed!

August 3, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. David2100

The first thing I remember him in was Stroker Ace. The jack broke at the end of the race and he lifted up the side of the car so pit crew could change the tires.

August 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sylvia Saint

He was a hell of a player for the Colts.

Why doesn`t this story say how old he is?

August 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaynicia

He was 66. I think it's because the story is still breaking...

August 3, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • rustypop58

He was 66

August 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jazzy

R I P

August 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kali

Bubba you will be missed – condolences to the family – great football player !

August 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Inmate 432187

Bubba will always hold a special place in my heart even though he sold out to be a fake cop in a few movies. Bye buddy.

August 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bear with eagles eyes

I will always remember his line on the lite beer commercials Taste Great and yes as Maloney buddy in Police Accademy movies R.I.P.

August 3, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phearis

Gone too soon. Take care Bubba. 😦

August 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BillinCA

I will always remember him as Hightower even though he acted in other movies and TV shows (Married...With Children comes to my mind). I was too young back then to remember him as a football player. Through his acting, even though he always played as a big tough guy, he actually seem like a big gentle guy when I imagined him as being in real life since I have never meant him. My sorrow goes to his family and hope he's in a better place.

August 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brad S.

"YAMA YAMA YAMA YAMA YAMA... I'm so hungy I could tear the heart out of the belly of a yak." "Would that bring your brother back?" No man, I'm HUNGRY!!!" -Police Academy RIP

August 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |