Chinook a military workhorse
About 1,000 Chinook helicopters have been built for the U.S. military.
August 6th, 2011

Chinook a military workhorse

The CH-47 Chinook that crashed Saturday in Afghanistan is the workhorse helicopter of the military, used for decades to haul large numbers of troops and quantities of equipment.

Depending on the configuration, the tandem-rotor Chinook can carry 33 to 55 troops, plus two pilots on the flight deck, according to Jane's Defence Equipment and Technology.

The Boeing-built copter runs on two Honeywell engines providing 3,000 to 4,000 horsepower each. It is capable of speeds up to 159 mph. The front rotor turns counter-clockwise while the rear rotor turns clockwise. The Chinook's three cargo hooks can lift up to 60,000 pounds of equipment.

The military fleet of nearly 1,000 Chinooks comprises multiple configurations with different types of mission-specific avionics, armor and equipment, including night vision, weather radar, infrared engine noise suppression and infrared countermeasures to ward off heat-seeking missiles.

About 450 Chinooks have been sold to other countries' militaries, according to Jane's All the World's Aircraft.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Aviation • Military • U.S. Navy
  1. chippewal1

Please, people show some respect to these fine men who have lost their lives !!!! What is your point of talking about things in the past and discussing nonesense,this is not the time.. These men have a Mother, Father,sister, brother wife ,children who have lost their loved ones..Can you imagine sitting in your home hearing this from the media / White House knowing it could be your loved ones ??? I pray for these families and I thank these hero's for the sacrafice they have made...

August 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • maj

I agree with chippewal1 – show some respect and sympathy to the men and women and their families who server our country.... It may not be perfect, but at least they are doing something positive about it.....

August 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Miz banasy

@HIKER:
    The RUFFNUTT that posted on this thread @ 2:25 is the real Ruffie.
    Trust me.
    Ruffie's got an irreverent sense of humor.
    He is a jokester.
    His troll took his name because RUFFNUTT is a memorable name.
    Just thought you'd want to know!

August 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HIKER

@ Miz Banasy...look on the (deadliest) thread 10:58 am looks like the real RUFFNUTT is addressing the FAKER...

August 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HIKER

BTW...Doesn't look like a Whale tru-up on the (Mystery Substance) thread...LOLOL

August 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. HIKER

Hey...Cesar how yous doing buddy...anyone ever buy you a beer at the Olive Garden, yet? LOL I saw your post on another thread and wanted to leave ya a howdy !

August 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Axman

That info is all wrong. The gross weight is 50000 lbs and each engine produces around 4800 shaft up at 100% n1. It also has a top speed of 175 knots. and there are not 1000 chinooks in the army. Less than 500 in operation. I am a chinook flight engineer if you are wondering. We are the red headed step children of the US Army.

August 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • HIKER

Can we say *lazy* researching by reporters !

August 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Axman

Yup. If it was a Blackhawk the info would be accurate. Also the forward and aft hook can carry 17000 pounds each or 25000 in tandem an the mid hook can hold 26000 but with fuel the aircraft weighs about 32000 leaving only 18000 pounds of carrying capacity left

August 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • HIKER

It amazes me that with all that weight, those fat A-s-s-es can fly....LOL thanks for the info and are you currently flying ?

August 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Axman

I'm full time NG flight engineer. I got back from Iraq about 2 years ago and am going to Afghanistan in the next couple years if I'm unlucky. But I fly on chinooks only, most reliable aircraft in the US Army and the safest. And unfortunately there is no way to stop an rpg..

August 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • HIKER

So by your reply, I take it at least the Air is still going to be protected but land is will be vulnerable...interesting! how old are you ? and why so long till you see foreign soil again?

August 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Vlodek

Axman, regardless of what you fly and your opinions about the bird, I salute you and every serviceman (and woman) for your bravery and your dedication to our country. I don't know you at all but every part of my being prayes for your safe return to both your family and friends.
      When I visited the marine air station in North Carlina, I could not get used to the soilders referring to me as "sir" but you are certainly a proud bunch and I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and all of your comarades.
      Thank you for defending my, my wife and childrens freedom.
      God bless you and all of your fellow servicemen.

August 6, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • G.S.Hadley

Then you ought to know that a Pave hawk (any Pave Hawk) will leave any Chinook in the dust.

August 7, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. emrys

Maybe someone from the military should put me in my place, but it seems silly to me to use these in a hot area. Wouldn't it have made more sense to spread the team out across multiple black hawks or something? Spread your risk? Seems like there was another incident like this involving a chinook earlier in the war. They seem like too big a target for a combat mission, with too much risk.

August 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • HIKER

But you have to remember all the defensive power it has at it's disposal !

August 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Axman

I'm in my 30s and have been doing this for over 10 years. The Guard doesnt deploy as much as the active army.

August 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. HIKER

Cool so you you get to jump out of the chinook into the ocean...WEEEEEEEEEEEEE sorry just a little levity in a dark subject man, what's the wildest story you got..minus the blood and death

August 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Army Aviation

Army pilots are air crews are the greatest and most fearless crews there are. Going into a hot LZ taking ground fire, and they keep coming! God bless them, and the fighting men they carry!

August 6, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • HIKER

Hard to believe ANY ground fire would be able to take that B-I-T-C-H out!

August 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marc

Hostile forces can't get within 50 miles of an aircraft carrier, because of all the layers of protection. Why do we send a sitting duck like the Chinook out, with such a valuable cargo, without being accompanied by other craft providing suppressing fire? Besides from the devastating human cost, it is insane to train these SEALs for years, at a cost of millions per man, and have them taken out in a moment by one guy with an RPG!

August 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Isaac

so sad that the lives of amazing warriors like this are being thrown away on these ridiculous and silly wars

August 6, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Let's just put the blame where it belongs Isaac, that is, on the Republicans and the so-called "blue-dog" Democrats who were so busy trying to placate the MIC and being "politically correct" . Barack Obama is in no way free of blame in this,either!!!

August 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. vetnam vet

Why were they all on one aircraft? No one puts all their eggs in one basket? Plus the Chinook is easily shot down. I know this as I was a crew chief in Vietnam. Lots of lies from military experts on the TV right now.

August 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. George Patton

The true tragedy here is that these men died for the MIC(military-industrial-complex) so that the greedy American corporations can exploit Afghanistan's hidden mineral resources and the good-for-nothing, right-wing politicians in Washington to promote their political careers. Barack Obama has got to go and that's all there is to it!!!

August 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HIKER

Because their all dumb A-S-S-ES , unlike the ones making the decisions of other wars! and yes there have been F-U-C-K-E-D up ones in others but maybe with the media so easily accessable now, we see the mistakes more.

August 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |