Anthony Sowell sentenced to death for killing 11 women
August 10th, 2011

Anthony Sowell sentenced to death for killing 11 women

An Ohio jury recommended death Wednesday for convicted serial killer Anthony Sowell in the murders of 11 women.

Relatives of the victims gasped and hugged each other as Judge Dick Ambrose announced the first verdict for victim Tonya Carmichael. The courtroom erupted into applause after Sowell, dressed in an orange jumpsuit, left the courtroom.

The final decision rests with Ambrose, who scheduled a hearing Friday to impose the sentence.

Sowell, who frowned as the verdicts were read, was convicted in July of 11 counts of aggravated murder more than 70 other charges, including abusing corpses and kidnapping.

As part of the sentencing hearing, Sowell made a statement on Monday without being under oath or facing cross-examination from prosecutors.

Sowell was visibly agitated and occasionally tearful as he recounted claims of childhood abuse - both physical and sexual.

Sowell said his childhood "was like a war," with his mother and grandmother constantly arguing, yelling and "whopping" the children.

He did not elaborate on the crimes for which he was convicted.

"I don't know what happened, it's not typical of me," Sowell said. "I can't explain it and I know it's not a lot, but it's all I can give."

Sowell's convictions ended a saga that began in October 2009 with the discovery of the first two victims' remains inside Sowell's home. He eventually was accused of killing at least 11 women ranging in age from 25 to 52.

1. Ninja

So long, Sowell.

August 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Robert

Hope this guy burns in hell forever

August 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bruins hater

we are already in hell, its only when we die that we become free.

August 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim F.

Sentenced to death – gee, ya' think???

August 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sheila

This is one of those sickeningly tragic cases; where euthanizing the deranged animal is the best answer. There is no releasing/rehabilitating a person that has done what this man has done. I am sorry if he was indeed horribly abused as a child, but seek out psychological counseling; have yourself locked up in a mental hospital – not, what he did.

August 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Katie

"It's not typical of me." I would assume that around the eleventh time you do it, murder could be considered a typical behavior.

August 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hexum2600

Exactly what I was thinking.

August 10, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sameeker

Jurors in Ohio seem to be smarter then those in Florida.

August 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sharky

For all you granola-eating tree-hugging hippies, this planet cannot support the number of people that are currently on it. This guy has willfully surrendered his right to exist. If you want him to spend the rest of his life in prison, YOU pay for it.

August 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tree Hugger

I didn't read any comments here, saying it was a bad idea to give him the death penalty. I agree with the verdict, as well. But I take exception to you thinking that tree huggers have any different opinion than you about this. Trees don't kill...People do. Well, okay. Trees do kill, when they fall on your car, as your driving by.

August 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Two wrongs don't make a right

Do the math, moron. It's been proven that it's more expensive to commit state-sponsored murder than to keep the person locked up forever.

August 10, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Casey

My lawyer told me that his victims drowned in the pool....

August 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • RandyRant

Totally tasteless and not even remotely funny

August 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mehmeh

This guy is truly sick. I know a guy who was called in by the police to evaluate the decomposition of the first body found. While there, they started discovering more bodies stashed around Sowell's house and yard. My friend said it was one of the most disgusting crime scenes he had ever been to.

I'm not usually a fan of the death penalty, but this case seems pretty open and shut. What a sicko.

August 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ja

the death penalty appeals should expire should expire after five years, in cases such as this one, otherwise, it is a joke,

August 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rachy007

"I don't know what happened, it's not typical of me,"
    Ummmmmmmm ok...
    I'd hate to see what IS typical of him when he's not pretending to be Hannibal Lector.

August 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck Acrie

Why is it that all serial killers always are the subject of child abuse or molestation. What passes as child abuse today was accepted punishment for not obeying your parents in years past.

August 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

"It's not much but I'm sorry. You're right. It's not much.

August 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bugmenot

Duh....... ain't 'nuff neither

August 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. roberta

We are entertaing them too much with taxpayers money, he should have been put to sleep along time ago

August 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. susanna king

Im so sick and tired of hearing all the lame brained excuses these killers use and there lawyers and society take as facts.The truth is they like to hurt people its a choice they make

August 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |