August 11th, 2011

Unemployment claims fall to 4-month low

The number of first-time filers for unemployment benefits fell last week, dipping below 400,000 for the first time in four months.

There were 395,000 initial unemployment claims filed in the week ended Aug. 6, the Labor Department said Thursday, down 7,000 from an upwardly revised 402,000 the prior week.

Economists surveyed by Briefing.com were expecting jobless claims to rise to 409,000.

The figure had stayed above 400,000 since early April.

FULL CNNMONEY.COM STORY
  1. SICKTOMYSTOMACH

can you sue the government? Im just asking..no idea
    We should all file a class action suit

August 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. slider

At least for the next year and a half the most secure job in America is that of working on Obama's teleprompter crew.

August 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sindee

OMG, Philip DOES hijack the threads!

😡

August 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sindee

I understood Bermille's post:

You don't qualify for unemployment if you are employed.

Plain as freaking day! Epic fail, GROG!!!!

August 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Grog

@Sindee: Go call the unemployment office and see what they say. It's not a fail because you said so. My post covered all the bases and I'm sorry you think in 2 dimensions. You fail based on facts. Haha.

August 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

@SICKTOMYSTOMACH..., yes, you can sue individuals who are employed by the federal government in civil court, but YOU must be able to prove that the individual meant to harm you in some way. An example would be the 9/11 victim's families lawsuits that name individual of the Bush admin., including George W. Bush himself. They're sueing the House of Saud also, for financing 9/11. These cases have been dragging-along for years now. And even if Bush is found to be liable, he can then appeal the case all the way to the Supreme Court, who might very well refuse to even hear it!

August 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sindee

I don't know what they may say in a half assed place like Michigan, but I WORK at a freaking unemployment office, and if one is employed, one is NOT qualified to apply or collect unemployment.
    Your answer is an epic fail.
    Because it isn't true, and yes, I say so.
    Now, go off yourself, you arrogant little twit. Spreading misinformation as "fact" isn't a way to look smart, either.

August 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sindee

My last comment was directed at Grog.

August 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fedup

Sindee "I WORK at a freaking unemployment office, and if one is employed, one is NOT qualified to apply or collect unemployment." Hate to disagree but I hired an employee full time 2 weeks ago but he can't work cause he will lose his unemployment. So he goes to the ESC and was told to work 20 hours or less and he gets full unemployment. Tomorrow will be his last day cause he was hired full time to talk on the phone to customers, customers are calling him back and he's not at work cause he's working for the ESC at this point!

August 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

My goodness can tell you work at the unemployment office Or should i say reside there not to sure any of them actually work but they sure have a way of treating customers that would get you fired from any other buiness

August 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Yeesh!
    Thankfully, I'm have never had to collect unemployment, but I would have had a few choice words to say to someone who treated *me* the way Sindee is treating Grog here...*she* gets an "epic fail!"

I think she's a troll, anyway.....

August 11, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. debraclayton

If I’d had the courage of my prior convictions, I would have been shorting DNDN. But no, I bought into the “wisdom” of the crowd - and now 70% of that particular stock investment is gone. Why? http://bit.ly/qKhgIl

August 12, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. chillipepper

Proof the recession is over and everything is just fine and dandy. just kidding

August 12, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

10s of thousands of American lawyers provide only one service to their clients: sueing the Social Security administration. They run late-night/early-morning TV commercials at their target audience: people who have spent their life as a drunkkard/druggie, and whose fraudulent SS claims have been denied. Our SS admin. simply cannot afford to fight these fraudsters in court, and so grant the lazy bums full disability for life. Do you know anyone like this?

August 12, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. the prophet

@Philip What you suggesting is that our war interventions and economic down turns are planned by our Government? Who is making billions out of these conspiracies at the expense of the subordinated population?

August 12, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |