August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. RUFFNUTT

well how cool is it now to have that pit-bull? pits aren't normal mean unless they are trained that way.... mine was nice and playfull

August 12, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • grandpaof3

I bet the dead lady thought so.

September 7, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

this also might be a case where "all dogs go to heaven" doesn't apply..

August 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jessica

This is a sad story, but I'd love to know a bit more history on the dog. 2 years old, unneutered....that already tells me something.

Where was the news coverage on the Golden Retriever who mauled a child in Ontario, Canada?? Where was the news coverage of the Shiba Inu that mauled and killed a newborn baby several years back?

Dogs are dogs. Not fuzzy little humans. Suffice it to say, there ARE dangerous dogs out there, but I would hardly say pits are inherently dangerous. I own two and work extensively in pit rescue and advocacy. Never been bitten by a bully breed. Oh, but I have been bit bad enough by a Boxer X Lab to puncture my thigh and leave nasty scarring for the rest of my life....

August 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • clyde

Unneutered? You and anyone agreeing with your are either ignorant or very naive. There is a huge difference in being bit and being mauled. Dogs bite and it's to be expected, I guess, I've never been bitten by my own dog and I'm old enough to have owned 7. I have a lab now that has never bitten anyone. Very few breeds maul people, neutered or unneutered (if that is actually a word). Please wake up or we will be reading about you one day.

August 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ERin

CLYDE- You clearly have not learned that Nuetering a male dog can help with agression problems have you????

August 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

And you obviously missed his point. My min pin bit me the other day when I grabbed him from behind the wrong way. He didn't maul me to death. That's the difference. My last dog was a rescued pomeranian who was so frightened from previous abuse, I couldn't even clap around him. He was mauled to death by a spayed pitbull. And the owner insisted she had never shown any signs of aggressions ever before.

People have a right to take the risk of a dangerous animal in their home. This man is facing the consequences of the poor decision to allow one in a house with his pregnant wife. It's when others are affected by those poor decisions that things get out of hand.

August 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • clyde

Erin, I'm all for 100% neutering of male pit bulls after they are of age. That will solve the problem real quick. I think it depends on the breed. Maybe neutered are less aggressive but, as I said, there is a big difference between bitten and mauled. I don't think I've ever heard of a poodle, lab or retriever mauling someone to death. May have happened, but if it has, it's so rare, I haven't heard of it, and i read alot of news.

August 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Thank you for being level headed and pointing out the very clear fact that most news stories do what they can to embellish. We NEVER hear about other dog breeds. But since idiots raise Pitts incorrectly they are in the spotlight. Awful because the breed really is outstanding. And yes, for those wondering; I have one,and it's not my first, nor will it be my last. If you raise the dogs like any other family dog they are great...People may want to look at the link below before they continue to pass false judgment . And before you say there are dogs that pass higher make sure they have tested as many (some dogs have a 100% but hey have tested 3). Once you look you will see they truly do have the "potential" as any dog does, to be a great dog. It's all in the raising.

August 12, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kit

Why do people always bring up Poodles like they're the nicest dogs on earth? One attacked my little brother when he was 2 and tore his upper lip in 2.

August 13, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

pit bulls are dangerous killers and need to be banned and exterminated. there is no comparison to other types of dogs.

August 14, 2011 at 2:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Lucin

@responsible dog owner

I Think hitler said the same thing about jews...

August 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • infonomics

Here's a short history: The pit bull killed a pregnant woman.

September 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • grandpaof3

Jessica: How did you learn about all these other dog killers?

September 7, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. clyde

I'm real amazed the police had to put it down, I would have slaughtered it without thinking

August 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kesha

So really Clyde, you're just a jerk – that's what you're trying to tell us right?! Couldn't just have compassion and say something along the lines of "condolescences." You have to attack other on here – gee, are you a pit-mix?

August 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • clyde

You would be classified as an idiot in my book kesha. I'm not a jerk and I'll stand by my statement that if I came home and my dog, not matter what it was had killed my wife or child, I would have destroyed it in a heartbeat. You can think that is some kind of attack on this man and his wife but it's just a fact that I posted. You need to buy larger panties or find a man cause you are really uptight.

August 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

I agree with Clyde....

Darla was due in December, she was 5 months pregnant...I would have ripped that dog to pieces.

August 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

if you haven't got a gun, how would you rip a dog like that to pieces? i am just surprised he didn't think to lock it up somewhere so it doesn't kill the cops when they got there. it's hard to believe that it was somehow allowed outside the house (in the yard) once it had killed a person.

August 13, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Ahhhh Reeaaaallly??

August 13, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG

"You are just an ignorant slob. People like you are the ones that have pitbulls MURDERED for something that "Maybe" happened!"

Yeah. . the guy comes home to see his pregnant wife on the floor with bite marks all over her face, neck, and torso. The dog is standing over her dead body with blood and flesh in it's mouth. Yeah. . . there's no way the dog did it. You are a f%cking idiot.

August 16, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mark

There is something very fishy about this whole story. 1. The dog, for 2 years, didn't have any history of this kind of behavior and hasn't been a problem in the past. Now this? 2. The husband was not inside with his wife. 3. The dog wasn't dead before police got there. I must say, if I came home and my wife was dead on the floor as a result of my dog attacking her – the dog would be spread all over the house!

Don't be surprised if they find out the husband killed his wife.

August 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

Mark I totally agree with you. Thats the first thing I thought too. The fact that the dog was still alive, or not even locked up in a room is very strange. Several red flags go up on this story and I wouldn't be suprised if the autopsy comes up with a different cause of death

August 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

So bite marks and saliva left on the victim are magically going to be who's...the husband's? What are you getting at?

August 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill groce

i agree "the dog was was hovering over her" i dont like or trust pit bulls but this dog sounds like it might be in protection mode

August 12, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Agreed! I hope the media follows up on this story.

August 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

i guess alyssa is the only one following the obvious?

August 13, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Ahhhh Reeaaaallly??

I totaly agree with you the first thing i thought was that the husband murdered her! And the people here that say she was covered in saliva and bite marks dont know chit. In the article none of that was stated. It was just by her. And that also is a good reason why it jumped at the CPR person it probably thought she was getting attacked again because Pitbulls are a very Over Protective breed. And why wasnt the Pit covered in blood but the husband was? What he do roll on top of her corpse to get bloody? BALONEY!! .

August 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray in Vegas

I thought exactly the same thing! And the dog was just loose when the cops got there? So the fact that the DOG did it would seem very immediate and obvious. I do think the dog did it but I also wonder if the husband caused it somehow .. maybe training the dog beforehand.

August 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RUFFNUTT

@clyde... maybe they were thinking about using the dog over iin england for crowd control"?

August 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahhhh Reeaaaallly??

aha

August 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Charleton Houndston, National Canine Association President

Dogs don't kill people. People kill people.

August 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahhhh Reeaaaallly??

Could not have been said better!

August 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

Pretty sure the dog killed this person...

August 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. J.D. Lorek

What a tragedy! Unneutered, unexercised and untrained dogs lends itself to such an outcome. With ownership of canines comes much responsibility, Especially bully breeds ..

August 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

@Charleton – LOL!

You're kidding right? And I suppose bears, lions, and alligators don't kill people either. You are an idiot.

August 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

i think it was sarcasm

August 13, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

yes, and "aahhhh reallly" didn't catch on LOL

August 14, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. Canadian Genius

They should have just called in Cesar Millan. Or that annoying old English lady. What was her name again? You know, that "walkies" lady. Assuming she's still alive.

August 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trivia guy

Barbara Woodhouse? She died years ago.

August 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

HA! Got me. You were kidding.... that's funny!

August 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Aaron

Jessica, you imbecile. The statistics are clear: almost 70% of Dog Bite Related Fatalities are caused by Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Presa Canarios. Being that these breeds account for such a small percentage of the dog population, it is CLEARLY a breed-specific issue. PERIOD. Discussion over. So tired of uneducated trash spewing misleading information...go to school, read, Jessica!

August 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Source?

August 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Dog bite statistics
      Each day, about 1,000 U.S. citizens require emergency care treatment for dog bite injury.1 The following studies examine injury occurrence and the breeds most likely to bite.

Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada,
      September 1982 to June 25, 2010
      By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2010, Merritt Clifton, editor of ANIMAL PEOPLE, shows the breeds most responsible for serious injury and death.
      The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers, presa canarios, and their mixes:
      80% of attacks that induce bodily harm
      70% of attacks to children
      83% of attack to adults
      69% of attacks that result in fatalities
      75% that result in maiming

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006
      to December 2008
      A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in a recent 3-year period. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
      The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

The breeds most likely to kill

In recent years, the dogs responsible for the bulk of the homicides are pit bulls and Rottweilers:

“Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996….[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities.” (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)

The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006

August 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

August 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Thank you Karen, for citing a specific, legitimate source without running off at the mouth.

August 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al Gore

You got owned Canadian Genius

August 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

I asked for a source, and got one. I actually just got through reading the JAMA article cited in the first CDC post that Karen listed. How is that owned? At least I didn't call anyone an imbecile.

August 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ERin

Ok Aaron first who the Hell are you to call people trash? Do you know this people personally or are you just an ass who feels the need to insult people?
      Second, your statistics are false. The reason they have those kinds of numbers is that they link many breeds into the pit bull class when it comes to attacks. Many of these attacks are terrier mixes and will be called Pit bulls. Many will have a small amount of pit bull in them but have more of other breeds than actually pit bull. The media has been putting pit bulls as the primary source even when they are not. Pit bulls are powerful animals so can do much damage when they attack. It is known that small dogs actually attack more than big dogs but do not cause as much harm do to their size and strength. So tell me Genius...are all dogs horrible then? I have been attacked by numerous Jack Russel and Miniature pinchers so should we call for a ban of them?

Your Ignorance shows that you know nothing about the breed but like to spout off like you do. This story is about a poor women who had a horrible thing happen to her, not about a specific breed. I will gladly get another pit bull as soon as mine passes. I was raised around pit bulls and in my 30+ years have not had a problem. Of course NO dog should ever be let alone with a kid regardless of breed. Also, you clearly do not know the history of Pit bulls either. When they were first brought to America they were named the "Nanny Dog" due to the fact that they were great with kids and their gentle nature. Why do you think after 150+ years of being in America we have only been hearing about these "Pit-bull" attacks the last few decades? Clearly if this has ALWAYS happened there would be a lend record of these attacks for centuries seeing as they were the #1 dog in the U.S since the 19th century to mid 20th century. There is not. Pit Bulls were linked to a few attacks and now are labeled as viscous and lumped in with the majority of attacks when they are not always the cause. There was an attack like 5 years ago about 20 minutes from me. It was said all over the news that a pit bull attacked her elderly owner and she was killed. Well..... I know the women’s grand daughter and guess what? The dog was a Rottweiler, not a Pit Bull... a completely different breed of dog. Hmmm now I remember ignorant people like you saying the same comments on that news story not even realizing it was not a Pit Bull.

This story is heartbreaking and feel for the women. This dog was a bad dog and clearly something went wrong. To condemn a species it the same as to say since most crime is committed by Black or Mexican (just for example, not saying it is true) we should condemn the whole race.

August 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

ERin, where do your statistics come from? But what really intrigues me, "I have been attacked by numerous Jack Russel and Miniature pinchers"....why so many attacks? What were YOU doing that caused this?

August 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

Aaron – For the Win! Take that you lame Pit Bull enthusiasts.

August 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

Keep defending those monsters, they should all be put down.

August 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahhhh Reeaaaallly??

I think your the Imbecile here! Pitbulls have huge mouths and teeth so once they bite (Like any normal dog) it is hard to separate them and it does WAYY More damage than a Chiuaua who in my opinion is way more violent and aggressive except its tiny so its bites can't do much damage.

August 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Uneducated trash like you? Who make up statistics...and get them from the internet...so they must be true....The only source that ever tracked statistics by breed was the CDC, but they stopped. WHY? They realized it was totally inaccurate and impossible to tell what breed, and that pit bulls in particular (because they are NOT a breed) were being counted as a category of about 12 breeds (a bit unfair). So, they stopped. Now, there is one idiot lady, who counts based on media stories. Only problem there is the media is biased (another study shows the media reports
      "pit bull" attacks 280 times more frequently than say Lab attacks) so counting based on media reports is TOTALLY flawed. So, take your ignorant crap and shove it.

August 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mikey

@Alyssa: You should be put down. Go get an education first, otherwise keep pumping my gas.

August 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kim

Totally agree with Jessica....our college-aged son rescued a pit at 6 weeks old from a pit fighting farm. We were reluctant at first but had him nuetered and sociallized. At 2 years he's 55 lbs of pure sweetheart......much better than our previous dogs (Golden Retriever, Yellow Lab, Samoyed). Goes to doggy day care once a month and plays well with other dogs at the dog park. It doesn't matter what breed, dogs are animals and need to monitored and trained appropriately. This is a sad story but let's wait to pass judgement until all the facts are known.

August 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • clyde

Are you saying your other dogs mauled people? I'm confused at how this one is better.

August 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

The one that mauled my dog was fourteen, spayed, a family dog, and had never shown any sign of aggression. Good luck.

August 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus is Number 1

Wow awesome people like you are what help these poor dogs get rid of the Stigma that follows them! Bless You and your kind family!

August 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

yeah, good luck. there will be blood, tears, and regret. Remorse...not so sure.

August 14, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Mikey

@Tyler: I own a 15 year old Pit who is the sweetest thing in the world and gets along with all of my cats and my two other dogs just fine.

See what I did there? Everyone can lie on the internet, as we all know 90% of statistics posted on the internet are false (another see what I did there moment).

August 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@Mark:
    )24, He was kidding.
    He was satirizing Charelon Heston.
    He did it pretty well, I might add.

August 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kim

Aaron – guess you must be an attorney......the statistics you state as fact are found on all of the lawyers who represent plaintiffs for dog bites webpages. I suggest you school/read from an independent source, perhaps k9magazine or others, that state the most aggressive dogs are usually the smaller dogs. No need to be insolent when trying to make a point. Would your mother be proud of how you verbally attacked Jessica?

August 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I don't know if his mother would be proud of him, but I know I certainly was.

August 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

Smaller dogs don't maul people. Mothers are just as ashamed of ignorance as they are of insolence.

August 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |