August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Olivier Barthelemy

Looks like those oh-so-sweet pit-bulls not only have a reputation, but also have the stats to back it up:

As long as they attack or kill only their owners, I have no problem with it.

August 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wdy731

Unfortunately, intact male dogs, regardless of breed, tend to be much more aggressive and can be more inclined to attack. I'm not saying it's the reason for this particular incident, but I wouldn't take any chances – especially with a breed that can cause so much damage...

August 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mike

This is a tragedy – my heart goes out to the family of the woman and baby killed.

On the subject of pits – I've got two and they've been great for years – more loving and better temperament than the labs and huskies our family and friends have. Literally – you're more likely to get bit by those dogs than our pits. To those who think this is another killing by a 'killing breed' – in 2009 there were on average 41 murders (by humans) per day. At this point we're out killing these dogs...

However, I'd imagine the guy married to the woman killed will have a different view of pits now. I would.

August 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

"Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past.".....that's all I'm going to say in response to your post.

August 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

OK, one more thing after noticing the last thing you said..."Smart people learn from their mistakes, but the really sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others".

August 12, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

joe – I see your point – 'even if your pit looks like its not going to do you harm – it might still turn on you'. However, my main point is this: statistically speaking, your neighbor who looks all well and good is more likely to kill you than his pit.

Point 1: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Point 2: http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs.htm

Remember that there are 250,000,00 humans and there are 75,000,000 pits – humans still have a worse 'murder per day' rate.

August 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. scarlett

Personally I think that her husband killed her and staged it to look like the dog killed her...I hope they look into this scenario in the autopsy.

August 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brucet

Pit bulls are wonderful, until they kill the neighbors' kid. But its the kids fault, 'cause they look at the dog funny.

August 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Galt

Absolutely right. The REAL problem and the reason that we need to ban the breed is the large number of terrible owners who do not know how to care or socialize these animals. Pits have problems sorry. They kill and maul humans (and other dogs) EVERY year.

August 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. deadidol

So if its not the breed and the way the owner cares for it, does that mean I should get a full blooded wolf? I mean its in the k9 family and if I raise it from a pup it won't hurt me or others right.

August 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. get even

Anyone who owns this breed of dog can expect the worst, pitbulls in the US should be gassed and a law against owning this mutt, you can't feel sorry for anyone except the child in this case

August 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

I think closed minded people -who are influenced in opinion by a small group of people who raise dogs improperly and give the entire breed a bad name – should be gassed...

August 12, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Then I suppose we should gas all humans since we kill each other daily. I own a pit and she is the most loving, sweetest dog ever. She is well known and loved in my neighborhood.

August 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mike

August 12, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe Joseph

Oh great, more bad press for an excellent breed of dogs. The Yankee Bull Terrier aka Pit Bull is the original nanny dog during colonial, they are pack dogs that were bread to protect the family, especially young children, something smells foul about this story. My Bull Terrier is my best friend, and nothing but a lover, he especially likes my neighbors and all the small children in our neighborhood!

August 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristi

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for bringing that up! I had totally forgotten about that fact!

August 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dave

If there was a pitbull in my neighborhood, i'd go buy a gun as protection and carry it at all times. There is no reason at all to have an animal in the house that is capable of killing you. These dogs need to be banned from the nation, period. Just last month a piy stray came by a party and decided to enter the house. Nothing you could do to prevent it. And as thete were kids inside sleeping i picked up a chair and hit the animal, breaking the chair. If i had a gun i would of shot it.

August 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristi

That's a total different incident. There are always going to be accidents and incidents like this that can't be prevented. But a whole breed can not be judged on a few...good lord if we as a people went around doing that about everything we would all be banned from everything or locked up or dead. Who would decide who/what is good or bad? Give a little more thought to your responses before making a comment please.

August 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxanne

ANY breed of dog can kill you. I have been around multiple pits and they are the most loving dogs. I have never once had a problem with them. These dogs were used as nanny dogs back in the day and were around children and babies 24/7. Also many "pit attacks" aren't even pitbulls. They're mixbreeds and people just lump them in with true pits.

August 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

I do not own pit bulls, however the breed is NOT a bad one. The people who own these dogs are to blame. When getting a dog, any breed, you need to look for temperament. Unfortunately some breeders of these dogs are purposely breeding the dogs to be aggressive, and then the dogs are being trained to be aggressive. I have neighbors that have Pits that are extremely friendly and well trained dogs, however I also have some neighbors that have aggressive dogs-and I mean dogs of all breeds- I have two english springer spaniels that I walk every day and we have been attacked a several times by dogs that have been allowed to roam freely- 3 times we have been attacked by pit bulls, once by a rottweiler, once by a doberman, and several times by Shih Tzus and mixed breeds- the point is the owners are the ones who should be held accountable. To declare "WAR" on the Pitt bull breed is ridiculous-we just need to hold the owners and of the dogs accountable!

August 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. awijoone

NEVER EVER turn your back on a pit bull. Dont own one, dont pet one. THESE animals are bred to fight and kill. My neighbor got one from his brother and within a week he had gotten out 4 times, gone after the mail carrier, run through the front screen twice after other dogs. He disappeared and a few days later was found dead on my porch . THESE animals DO NOT belong in the city . young black thugs walk around with these vicious animals as if its their right to threaten others. FCKU these animals. and their animals KILL them both

August 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • elle

I agree. I love animals and i know that pit bulls are "cute" and can be"sweet" but they have been bred to kill and they carry that with in them. They snap and eat people. People should get other types of dogs.

August 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roxanne

no animal is bred to kill. they're trained to kill.

August 12, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. iam59

I am a HUGE-HUGE Animal Lover, but I would NEVER own a Pit Bull – nor esp. have them around small children.
    Many say, Pit Bulls need Love too... I don't think they belong in a home environment. Period. Perhaps as after hour guard dogs at a place of business. If that.

August 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Think b4 commenting

I have experienced and witnessed several dog attacks. At a party hosted by responsible people, my girlfriend was bitten in the face by a pit. I was in my back yard when three dobermans belonging to a neighbor with three kids who lived several blocks away escaped their yard and ended up charging on my kid. If you think a good dog can't turn dangerous, your mistaken. And yes, dogs can exist "relatively" independent of man. It is an ugly survival and a particularly dangerous one.

The real point is that dogs can " act " independently and "bite the hand" for their own reasons. They are dogs after all. They are not people. Their motivations and desires are differently rooted but don't deny that they can be intelligent and even creative when the need calls for it. And, they can bite ( this can be quite painful to experience). However, to a dog, biting is a natural expression of frustration. They don't think about it in terms of the hurt they ate causing you and they don't really feel remorse the way we do when we have to put one down.

Ultimately, awareness and good judgement are your best defense.

August 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@thinkb4 BRAVO! That was very well said and I get your point. Anything with teeth can and will at times bite. My Dane is VERY smart and even down right manipulative at times. What do we do though? Do we form lynch mobs and round up all of the dogs (we created) and kill them? Do we stop bringing dogs into our homes? Maybe we should wipe them out and start over by breeding them down to toy sizes. I am not sure but we can not overlook the fact the we (humans) deserve some of the blame when things go wrong. You and I will have to continue to disagree on the the difference between domesticated dogs and feral ones and survival with out human intervention. I am sorry but I have seen domesticated breeds starve in the wild when there was plenty of food available. It takes a very long time to regain the skills WE breed out of them.

August 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lolamo

The problem with arguments of those who support pitbulls is that it heavily depends on the relationship the owner creates with the dog. It's about the owner showing who's boss and who is not. Okay, thats great for the owner but how is a child suppose to handle this animal? How is a stranger who hasnt created a relationship with this paticular dog suppose to know what to do? Youre going to give them a brief 2 minute lesson that took you months/years to learn?! Bear trainers still understand the risks bears have to the average untrained-to-handle-a-bear human being! Pitbull owners need to understand that in relation to trier dogs and other human beings! Therefore it isnt okay to keepthese dogs in neighborhoods.

August 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@lmlao, Then no dogs are safe in neighborhoods. I am not saying that pittbulls are not aggressive as a breed what I am saying is ALL dogs should be handled with care. I would NEVER leave a child alone with a dog no matter what breed it is. I do not leave strangers alone with my dog. I have purchased a fence and it gets checked daily to make sure it is secure. I have a Great Dane. They are very large and could hurt someone with out meaning to. It is my responsibility to keep him and others safe. I have no children so I have the time, money and attention to put towards him. Until people become more responsible these sort of things will continue to happen.

August 12, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. carl

The best place for a pit bull is under a truck tire. Nothing but vicious animals. Yhey should all be put fown.

August 12, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |