August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. dogluvr

Wow. You people scare me.

August 12, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rICHARD

"The couple had had the dog since it was a pup." . . .. to me, this is the most damning statement in the article. It explains the nature of the breed; UNPREDICTABLE.

August 12, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonny

Not saying it happened but how are you discounting that the animal could have been abused so readily? By profession I've been around hundreds of pit bulls and it's easy to tell which ones came from loving homes and which ones came from abusive homes.

August 12, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mel

When i was pregnant my dog bit me. They say dogs can sense it. I got rid of the dog. I didn't do anything i was just sitting on the couch and it came up and bit my leg. its just a real sad lost to loose your wife and unborn child that horrible

August 12, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MasonthegreatGreatDane

I am just curious, when we gather up all of the pitbulls in the world, kill them or stick them "under truck tires" and there are no more pitbulls left on earth what then? Will the dog bites and deaths stop? What breed will we blame then? We should just wipe out everything we fear and everything capable of killing us.

August 12, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • concerned citizen

like people? other humans? they are pretty dangerous

August 12, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becka

Then everyone will hate chows or german shepards. Thats how humans work.

August 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

yes, statistics of deaths and/or maulings by pit bulls will go down to zero, dramatically reducing the numbers for all fatal dog attacks and maulings.

August 15, 2011 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. justpaula

There is something awfully fishy about this story....

August 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • I agree

Sounds a bit fishy to me too, something is missing.
      It is a very sad tragedy and situation.

August 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robbin

Pit bulls and more than one, who would want them as pets among small kids. They have teeth they bite. My heart goes out to the family.

August 12, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wil

Yeah, round up all the pitbulls and most of the attacks will stop and practically all of the deaths. It's weird but if you breed the biggest strongest most aggressive of anything over generations you get big strong aggressive whatever its is. When evolution does it's it's called natural selection but this is breeding. Your pets were bred to to be aggressive but not to be pets. You get what you deserve.

August 12, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

You really think that if we killed all of the pitbulls there would be no more dog attacks or dog bite related deaths. Wow. FYI I do not have and have never had a pitbull. I just know that ending them will not end dog bites. It is also a proven fact that people and the media have gone after different breeds over the decades. Chows, dobermans, st. Bernards. Do you remember the movie Cujo? I worked in a very large animal hospital and came in contact witb many breeds and I have to say the most agressive was Husky type dogs. Almost always had to be muzzled. I saw one rip my co-cheek off. Dogs bite. All of them. You can't argue that.

August 13, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

Sorry wil for any typos. I am having a hard time on my touch screen phone. I meant *co-work, not co-cheek or anything else I messed up 🙂

August 13, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. TvNYC

Pit bulls are vicious and most of them are dangerous. The truth is you can't have dogs around pregnant women or kids because they sense the lesser love you have for them because you obviously care more for your kids or future baby than a dog. In retrospect, these two dogs could have been trained by the husband to kill his wife! Not safe to have dogs regardless. Too bad dogs and people could be unsafe, may god bless their family and may this woman and unborn baby rest in peace!

August 12, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonny

You are insane.

August 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guys, seriously?

Really? When my aunt was pregnant with her first child, before she even knew, she was wrestling around with my uncle in their living room. Their dog started barking at my uncle and nipping at his t-shirt. They could see that they were irritating the dog, so they stopped wrestling. Later that wee, my aunt found out she was pregnant. Their dog potentially save my cousin's life. So please, unless you know what you're talking about, please shut up. 🙂 Have a great day.

August 13, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Libby287

This story is so sad! I do own a pit bull and reading the comments have reminded me how hard it is to own a pit bull. My pit is a rescue from a humane society. She was lit on fire by teen boys who thought the whole idea was funny and recorded doing so. A sad situation! She has been the best dog I have owned however. I like to consider myself careful. We went to obdience training as well as socializing her immensely. She is spayed also. I was bit by last dog being a lab beagle mix who had food aggression. My own fault for walking by him but regardless I never thought I'd own a pit and now I won't own anything else. Its so sad to see how pits suffer

August 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Robert

Read these headlines and tell me which ones sound normal...

Man killed by pit bull

Man killed by bear

Man killed by gold fish

Man killed by chihuahua

In other words... Don't be stupid. Chihuahuas don't kill their owners, that is a fact. Pit bulls kill their owners. Don't try to act like this is a false stereotype.

Some people would defend Jeffrey Dahmer.

August 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

cars also kill their owners. that shouldnt stop people from loving cars...

August 13, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. andy

most large and some medium sized breeds can kill, but not just pit bulls. someone put her husband on suicide watch, poor family.

August 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Guys, seriously?

People seem to forget that dogs evolved from wolves. Every single dog out there has the ability to kill, or at least injure, a person. Pitbulls simply get a bad reputation because people used them for attack dogs. Honestly, if people had used a small and adorable dog (i.e. papillion, pomeranion, etc.) for attack dogs instead, people would still be having the same reactions to those breeds. It has nothing to do with the breed itself, but the bad reputations and stereotypes they get. My uncle has a german shepard and pitbull mix, and he is the sweetest thing in the world. He's a giant teddy bear that wants nothing more than for you to throw a ball his way and pet him. People need to take a chill pill, and realize that pitbulls aren't the only dogs attacking people, and that they can be extremely sweet if raised right.

August 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Oyster

Pit bulls are 5% of the dog population yet account for 21% of all maulings. Owner negligence? Really?

Where does the "pit" in pit bull come from?

August 12, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dude

Are you kidding me? It had everything to do with the breed! Sure, all dogs are capable...but attacks are MOST likely to come from pit bulls! They were bred that way for a reason!! Pull your head out and get real!

August 13, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. nae

this is so sad! and a bad ordeal. i hav owned 2 pitts and they where great. they where trusted around my toddlers and would never show anything but love towards them. but they can be trained to be mean and a lot of people dont understand that a pitts brain can become to large for it's skull and cause things like this to happen. pitts are an amazing breed and gorgeous breed, but if one chooses to have them they need to be attentave of the animal. again very sad ordeal and thoughts go out to the family!

August 13, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |