August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Amanda

What I find so amusing about all these Pitbull bashers is that I bet you 98% of them have never been around one and 99% would not even be able to properly identify one. These people thrive on drama and live in over hyped fear perpetrated by shoddy media stories.As to the woman who says we need to get our priorities straight and that humans come first- Says who? I for one prefer the company of animals over humans any day of the week.Personally I think humans have no right to band any animal considering we humans are the ones for murdering and destroying the very planet we live on.I am sorry for the family of the woman who died but her death does not make for a ban on a beautiful companion which is the PitBull.

August 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitbulls are the BEST!

Wow couldn't agree more!!

August 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitbulls are the BEST!

Wow TOO TRUE!!

August 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • tzvikf

I won't bash a pit bull, but on the other hand; whenever hearing a story about a dog killing a person, it almost always seems to involve a pit bull. One never hears about a Bischon Frise or a Golden Lab killing anybody.

August 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • js55610

I just read an article that said, "According to residents of the Napora neighborhood, the dog did not maul Darla Napora, 'just found out the woman fell off a ladder and hit her head...husband came home found the dog standing over her...he put the dog outside...it got loose and cops shot the dog...thinking that it had mauled the lady. The dog had blood on its body because he was trying to nudge her to make her move..."
      The article then went on to say that Darla's father wants to wait for the results of the autopsy before any conclusions are made as to her death, and said that those who originally covered the story need to re-examine the facts.

August 13, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharp

Any dog can turn. Best not to take a chance on large & powerful dogs. Terrible tragedy.

August 14, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

wow – couldn't disagree more, amanda. pit bulls are bred killing machines. sad that you would defend them so vigorously. almost as irresponsible as owning one.

August 14, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • JAM

Wow! STFUB!

August 14, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
    • janet

Pittbulls love their families & children to death....they will rip your throat and rip you to shreds until you are lifeless, and then lay next to the dead body....Yes pittbulls love you to death.....IT IS THE BREED!!!!

August 14, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Ray in Vegas

Amanda .. you are absolutely wrong .. and possibly lying. It may be true that any dog, including pitts, can be friendly for awhile around persons they know ... but they are aggressive to any strangers they come across. I'm so sick of people always saying how wonderful and friendly these dogs are ... they are stubborn and very difficult to control. I think any breed, including Pitt Bulls and Presa Canarios, that were originally bred to fight and kill, should be phased out of existence. They certainly should not be allowed to breed. Most of the types that own pitt bulls are NOT the types that ever read a news article anyway . .. so they are probably ignorant about all the reports of adults and childred being mauled and killed by them. Outlaw these animals. They are monsters.

August 22, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MasterVen

and i expect my labs to do what they have to do to protect themselves! Ill take care of myself in the same way;)

August 13, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LUckydevil

This guy is so lucky. People pay alot of money to get rid of thier problemsand not only did he get it for free, he got the cops to take the dog out. Bullets are exspensive people! cudos to you sir 'Raises his guinness'

August 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agreement

lol

August 13, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • poo-particals

thats proper funny

August 13, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • patcrimes

You people are scary...this is the future that America has to look forward to!? No wonder we will never surpass the Asians!

August 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • lfgs

Oh gosh! She was pregnant ! What kind of human are you to make this comment...

August 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. patcrimes

I

August 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. patcrimes

i agree with Amanda most people who bash pits only know what they see or hear in the media and I agree I almost would have the company of a animal than humans I have had pits and rots all my life I'm talking when I was a child we had them in the house I have children myself starting age 5yr a dog is just like a human in a lot of ways they treat u the way they are treated I'm sorry for what happened but remember there 3 sides to a story and not sure we've heard all the story's yet it's wasn't so long ago America was ready to hang Michael Vicky for fighting and treating pits badly but now u want to kill the pits people make up ur mind

August 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

You and Amanda don't like generalizations about your precious killing machines, however you both generalize that most people who take issue with these bred killers do so with no prior knowledge or experience of their violence. Just walk around any city, you will see lowlifes, thugs, and other insecure people trying to intimidate and project a tough image. Yeah, if I walked around with a lion or tiger, you might get out of my way too. I and my dog have suffered several attacks, always from pit or pit mixes. They need to be banned and exterminated.

August 14, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. QueenofCoffee

Yesterday this woman was killed by her pit bull. Today a little boy was killed by his grandfather's rotweiler. These are killer dogs...I don't see other breeds chasing and attacking their owners and others on such a large scale. If you house killer dogs you need to expect this type of behavior. In Texas two young girls 5 & 7 on THEIR front porch with THEIR chihuahua were attacked and their dog shredded before their very eyes. Those poor girls are scarred for life. What a mentally ill society we live in. We have genetically altered the animal for killer purposes. So the owners deserve what they get. Death of this kind is so sad. However, if they house killer dogs it is better for them to attack their family then innocent neighbors whether they be children or adults or small pets. Now ABC trying to change the story stating woman fell down the ladder. So where did the dozen of bite marks come from???

August 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • patcrimes

Ever think the dog had been mistreated. A.k.a. starved? That's in any animals nature, and no this wouldn't be the first report of that happening either. As far as ABC and the story with the ladder...there again is always 3 sides and no one will ever know what happened cause those who know are dead.

August 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • amhache

Fell down a ladder my a**! You people defending a killer breed are idiots. Yes, there are wonderful, affectionate pitbulls. I've known a few myself. But the fact remains this is a breed that was created to be violent and aggressive. Having a pitbull in a home with children is criminal, as far as I'm concerned. If you want to own a pit, be my guest.
      Just keep them the hell out of my parks.

August 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • tracey

Before you breed haters start spewing off at the mouth, perhaps you ought to research the FACTS. Fact: Pitties score in the top 87% – or, for those of you ignorant, that means EXTREMELY HIGH – on dog temperament tests. Fact: Pits do not have a locking jaw. Fact: Pits were originally called The Nanny Dog because they are so good with children, mild when handled, and LOYAL – this loyalty to please their masters has been exploited by humans. Fact: nearly all the Vick dogs have been rehabbed into family homes, some even went on to be certified therapy dogs ... now, I put to you that if pittes were INHERENTLY BAD and DANGEROUS, these facts would not exist. It's your very type of ignorance that creates the culture that leads to the media frenzy that is supremely exampled by this story. Perhaps your ignorance is blissful to you, but in the end, it's dangerous.

August 13, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiffcop

amhache
      since when do you own parks, I allways thought parks was public places for everyone and dogs if allowed, I understand everyone wanting to slam pit bulls yes you hear about them in the news almost daily, but there is also the little dog attacts that happen everyday that is just not good news.. If anyone on here knows about the history of the dogs you would know they are great around children and anyone for that matter... I own one and to be honest my 15lbs dog puts her head in his mouth.. they even share a steak,, would your "chihuahua" or( any breed )do that. prob not it would snap at you and then you would just laugh cuz its too small to do much. But doesnt that make your dog aggressive and a risk, as for the poor lady and baby that lost her life, I am truly sory for her family, I hope you find the truth and peace you deserve, because with a pit bull involved I am sure you will not find much peace with the media.
      And to all the people so willing to put down the breed look at all the rescues and shelters of all the abuse these dogs not beasts as so many label, endure.. isnt enough enough, Havent they endured enough hate.

August 14, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. amhache

You know, even IF this poor woman fell off a ladder ( yeah right!), what kind of monster of a dog would react by CHEWING her face and chest ?
    Seriously!?

August 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mike unknown

I have been around good natured pits, and have seen aggressive ones. The fact is that they are dangerous either way. Nature designed them to be good at one thing. And that's not wrestling with small children. They are not a family pet and shouldn't be allowed to be. They will turn on a dime and have shown that in times past. People get them as a accessory to their lifestyle. Like when movie stars adopt African babies and think they are really helping. Many babies can be adopted right here in the states. A case of the look at me's. If I ever see one in my yard it will be the last time it ever comes in my yard. Good or not, I value my life and the life of my precious 2 yr old daughter.

August 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • lfgs

I AGREE WITH YOU!

August 13, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike zaldivar

Ever see the crease between a pit's eyes? that's where the Native American battle axe that i own will be if i ever catch a pit in my yard!!!!

August 13, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike zaldivar

These things are bred for one purpose only, TO KILL!!!! they should all be destroyed!!!!

August 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pitbul owner

I have always owned pitbull or pitbill mixes and have never had any issues with them. it has nothing to do with the breed its the way they are treat and taken cared of. if you abuse your dog ( any dog) will be aggressive. All of you pitbull haters, have never owned one in your life. I have know and seen other dog attach people and other animals and those are the non agressgive breeds.. please i would rather have a house full of pitbulls then another breed.

August 13, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

"have never had any issues with them" – that's what they ALL say. yes, keep your house full of pits. but don't let them out of the house EVER.

August 14, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. pitbull owner

August 13, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike zaldivar

when your kid gets eaten you'll wise up!!!

August 13, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Never owned a crocodile either

All those pitbull haters have probably never owned a croc either so I don't know why they're scared of the one I have in my pool. The only ones who kill have probably been starved or mistreated.

August 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Heather

Quoting the neighbor's opinion on what kind of dog a put bull is added no value to the story. Just fluff to make the story longer. Poor journalistic standards.

August 13, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

His comment was accurate and to the point. Opposite of fluff.

August 14, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Julie

Disturbing

August 14, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lynne Ann

ANY Pittbull that gets loose, comes near me or my family, WILL BE KILLED. Period. I will never tolerate this breed of dog, don't care what "statistics" say to the contrary. Not interested. Me, or any of my family will not be it's statistic. Ever. And I don't really care if you don't agree with my statement. Facts are, this breed of dog is BRED TO FIGHT AND KILL. If YOU want it for a pet...better be prepared for the eventual problems that will follow.

August 14, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. George

It amazes me to see all of the pit bull defenders deny the facts about this vicious attack. What is it about pit bull owners? It's called cognitive dissonance. One might ask the same about people that have wolves or wolf hybrids. The are at least equally dangerous and unpredictable. I don't get it.

August 14, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Its look-at-me people, who want to make some kind of statement or image rather than have a more mainstream pet as a companion. Maybe these people don't raise the pitbull right in first plce as they would not raise any pet right – so any breed might be dangerous raised by these self-centered types.

August 14, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |