August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Angeli

Actually Pit Bulls were bred for dog violence not human violence since they were bred to fight eachother. Also they were bred to be kind to humans since a human would have to go into the pit to break them up or control the fight. NONETHELESS they were bred for violence and pit owners should be responsible owners. I think people should need licenses to own dogs and certain requirements that go with that. I'm really disgusted by irresponsible dog owners and those that take on dog ownership and then send them to the pound when they are sick of being responsible for them.

August 15, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • responsible dog owner

let's just ban them.

August 15, 2011 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
    • CT

Are you trying to say that a license magically makes dogs not attack? Do you have some knowledge that these people were not responsible pet owners? Or were you just unable to resist ranting about responsible pet ownership on an article that had NOTHING to do with that subject?

August 15, 2011 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Dylan

OK, time to review some history. First, pitbulls were bred as war dogs in Roman times, to go into the entrenchments of the enemy, the "pits", and attack the humans therein. Only much later were they used to fight each other for the amusement of really messed-up folks. They were, however, bred for violence, and as such are capable of horrific atrocities such as this story. You don't need to feed a pitbull gunpowder to make it capable of violence, in fact some well cared-for pits "snap" due to inter-cranial pressure as their brains keep expanding in their skulls, but an adolescent non-neutered male might just react just as violently as a result of challenging their human owners' dominance, something that can be seen in many canines. I believe the latter may have happened to this poor woman. Until that moment they can be the nicest, most loyal dogs, albeit protective and sometimes aggressive to non-pack members. That is why I would never have one.

August 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Dylan, you just made that breeding history up, start to finish. They're a cross between a bulldog and terrier breeds, both of which are from Britain.

August 15, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Dylan- intra-cranial pressure? You dumb moron!!! That's what they used to say about Dobermans! MYTHS!!! Ignorant idiot!

August 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. James

The entire breed should be destroyed.

August 15, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Wow... really? hahah! That solves a lot. NOT. Not every pitbull is gonna hurt someone. It's nurture.

August 15, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • really?

humans kill too...

August 15, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Davethecanuck

Won't happen... the idiotic vocal minority always gets their way.

Yes Wow, thank you for stating the obvious.
      Unfortunately the solution to this problem isn't going to be pointing to all the good dog owners after an attack like this happens. As always, it only takes a few to wreck something for the whole. Heaven forbid your rights are infringed upon to the point where you must get a pet who's breed is less inclined to rip the throat out of a child.

August 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boater

Funny... As the human "breed" kills more people than pit bulls do, should the entire "human breed" be destroyed, too?

August 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. skibear

Once again, I hear about another mauling by a pit bull. Now, watch the pit bull-worshippers start crying about how all breeds are the same, breed is irrelevant, etc. Yes, while ALL dogs have the potential to bite and even maim, most of time a mauling is done by a pit bull, so you do the math. All breeds are NOT the same, and any dog owner must realize this.

August 15, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Reasonable1

Ban all pit bulls, eradicate the breed and you'll cut dog attacks in half, at best. More likely you'll just move dog attack statistics to another breed. Stop letting people have un-neutered male dogs and you'll eradicate dog attacks completely. Having an unfixed male dog in your household is a loaded gun. It's not the breed, it's the testosterone and alpha male dynamics to blame.

August 15, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • GK

The APBT is not even in the top five breeds for dog bites. You're more likely to be bitten by a Golden Retriever, America's favorite family dog, than you are by a Pit. I don't see you crying that Golden Retrievers should be eradicated.

August 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mike

Show me a pitbull and find its attached to a person with low self esteem. It gives them a sense of power and they get a bullying agressive stance which dogs pick up on. A dogs demeaner is a reflection of the psyche of the owner

August 15, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Brea

Mike...What an overgeneralization you have made. While this may be true in "some" cases, it is NOT true in all of them. Sounds like someone here is a know it all.

August 15, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Michele

Mike, I would have to disagree with you on this one. I own a Pit mix and I have very high self esteem, I do not own this dog because I feel I need to bully people, I own this dog because he needed a home and I was able to look past the breed in order to give him that loving home. I invite you and all the others who are down on the breed to come to my house and spend time with all four of my dogs, I have A rotti, a pit mix an chow mix and a Morkie, and out of all my dogs I would worry the most about the chow mix biting someone, because he can be the most agressive out of the bunch. Maybe you and all the others should get some real education about the breed and not just go off what you read online.

August 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmmmm

I take my dog to the dogpark every day, and just about every person who owns a pitbull there got it as a "rescue". They didn't pick the dogs because of their insecurity, they picked the dogs because when they went looking at dogs (or in one case, found one on the side of the road) these dogs needed to be cared for.

Still, I will admit I chose a dog that didn't have a reputation of incredible torque in their jawbones.

August 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lgough

ALOT of breeds are "mastiffs' not just a pit bull/staff terrier. so are you going to get rid of your black/chocolate/yellow labs also? they are mastifss as well, i believe.

August 15, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • spell check!

It's a lot NOT alot. Alot isn't a word. Thanks!

August 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Menemenetekelupharsin

IIt should have been Michael Vick. Then the dog would be a hero.

August 15, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • StanLee

you're as ignorant as you are an idiot !!

August 15, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. ByeBye_ApplePie

Pit bulls and gun ownership are our friends in helping keep the population control within manageable numbers. Stupid people shouldn't breed but when they do, it's nice to know there are "natural" methods for keeping it all under control. 🙂 Love ya, love ya!! 🙂 🙂

August 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lee

Dogs can sense hormonal changes .Also, there is one question I have...Had the anial been violent before? was it showing sings of aggression twords the pregnant female? Had the Dog suffered an injury in which it had to defend its self...the only witness is dead. This is a sad tragedy.. Usually attacks have a reason and the entire scene should be examed as a murder scene..and questions need to be asked...Why did the dog attack... and not just pit bulls are prone to this..But all dog and cats can lay damage to there owners. and dogs of any breed can "Kill" ..

August 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Menemenetekelupharsin

You used to tell the teacher that the dog ate your homework, didn't you? It's showing.

August 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

I love the breed but I have to disagree that all dogs are capable of doing the same amount of damage that a pitbull can. I'm not talking about temperament, I mean size and strength.

What happened to that family is really sad. I feel terrible for them.

August 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

@ sarah
      You are wrong. The pit bull is the only dog breed that can lock it jaws once it bites down. Other dogs can be forced to release their bite on you and most can be intimidated to back off. The pit bull, once it attacks, it does not let go, it does not give up and even if you kill it, there is a chance the jaws will remain locked. Pit bulls can inflict more damge per pound then the biggest bull mastif or rotweiler. Honestly, if I had a choice, I would rather try to fight off a Rott. And the statistics show there are almost 4 times as many Pit attacks then the next most aggressive breed, the Rott.

August 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Sorry sarah, misread your reply until just now. You are right, the PIt bull is way more damaging.

August 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

@Doug, you are so sadly misinformed and ignorant. You believe in myths!! Pit bulls do not have "locking jaws"! Do you even realize how silly you sound? Please read the "Pit Bull Placebo" by Karen Delise, the same "myth" about "locking jaws" was said about blood hounds in the 1920s, and then Dobermans, and now pit bulls– it has been scientifically disproven– there is no such "mechanism," and pit bulls do no more damage than dogs of similar size.

August 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JR

I read this article and thought this is another story that people will use against pitbulls. Call me a pitbull apologist, naive, or just an idiot. I could care less because I know the media loves to demonize this breed for their headlines. I am aware that pitbulls have maimed and killed people. So do other breeds. However, the stigma biases everyone's view of the breed. There is a lot of bad information about the nature of a pitbull. A lot of it is from the media. Why do we rarely hear about the German Shepard, labrador, or chiuaua attacks? Because they are not sensational enough. Why did I feel the need to post this? Because of this article dealing with this exact same story: http://www.examiner.com/american-pit-bull-in-national/pacifica-dog-mauling-what-really-happened-1. I think people need to find out the facts before they start calling out for the destruction of a breed. If someone didn't tell me that the coments posted were for a dog attack, I would think I was reading comments from a lynch mob from the middle ages looking for a witch.

August 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Falling off a ladder does not sound like it cause the kind of damage described in the article. She may well have fallen, but it sounds like her dog chewed on her. I'd be happy if the evidence points to some other conclusion than her own dog killed her though.

August 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

OK, you are an idiot. Ther have been studies done and statistics compiled. Yes there are a few other aggrssive dog breed, Chows come to mind. However, the Pit bull is at the top of that hill my friend. You want to know why you always hear about pit bull attacks? because there are so many more of them then any other breed. In fact, they are 3 times as likely to attack, unprovoked, then the next breed on the list (Rotweiler) and have recorded more attacks then all the other breeds on the list combined. DO some research before you go defendng just a violent animal.

August 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Oh, and this is where I got my info. Just a partial list you understand, but enough info to prove my point.

August 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

I understand that there are many well tempered pitt bulls and many owners absolutely love them as pets. i will never call for the destruction of a breed based on the actions of a few individuals, but I have no doubt that pit bulls are inherently more violent than any other breed. countless data support this conclusion; you want to know why you don't hear about labrador attacks? Its not media bias. 1. Labs don't attack people very often, and 2. labs don't kill people when they attack. don't go around claiming this breed isn't dangerous, because it is. some people are qualified to handle that danger, and some people (as in anyone with kids or little experience with dogs) are not.

August 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Doug– you prove yourself to be the fool citing that website!! That woman is a web designer who compiles faulty research disproved time and time again. Try to post any real facts on her site and she deletes them. Veterinarians, behaviorists, shelter workers all disagree with her, but she a "website designer" is a specialist? No, she is just an ignorant hater, like you, who knows NOTHING about the breed. You want facts, go to the National Canine Research Council, which obliterates her junk science.

August 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jeremy

Ok pitbulls are generally aggressive animals. Pitbull lovers can contradict everything everyone else is saying with ignorant rhetorical questions, but in the end they are or were still bred for violence. This breed of animal does not need to be stopped, people just need to stop buying them.

August 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Doug

You know, all you people defending Pit bulls because most are well behaved and only a few are bad, You never hear about a collie going nuts or a Labrador mauling a 2 year old. The fact that only a small percentage of them do it and there is generally no sign of when or if they will turn makes them a dangerous animal. If it were up to me, I would sure try to extinguish the breed. Poeple only get them because they are considered good mean dogs to scare away intruders or what not. They do not get one because of their natural calm nature or they are a good family dog. They were bred for one thing that that purpose is illegal everywhere in the US. Now that they do not have a purpose anymore, I say we do not need them.

August 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

FACT: You never hear about it because the media reports pit bull attacks 280 times more often than any other dog. FACT: There is no reliable way to count dog attacks by breed (SOURCE, the CDC, sho stopped counting in 1982, citing the inherent problems with breed identification). FACT: DNA evidence found that even shelter workers only properly identified breeds 4% of the time. FACT: I have been working with pit bulls for 10 years and have doubts that the dog in that picture even is one, but HEY, that is how it is with the MEDIA FRENZY.

August 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ALGATOR

Response to Doug, it's pure myth for a Pit to 'lock" their jaws, it's all strength, no locking. I believe all dogs can be dangerous, my Jack Russell is just as likely to bite someone as my German Shepherd, but I have taken the time with them and they have never bitten anyone or anything.

August 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

So, just because you think it is pure strength, that makes it better? If I walk into a room with a Jack Russel, I am not going to keep an eye on him to see if he is going to attack me. And if he does, he may damage my jeans or possibly nip at my shoe. You really comparing a Pit to your Jack Russell??? You are a fool.

August 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Susan

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack"

I've got it. It's a pit bull.

August 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Do you think these people will ever tell the truth? Why the h*ll wasn't there dog fixed? Almost all dog attacks in the US are unfixed male dogs. That tells me right away that they were not responsible. There is more to the story, period. But, we will never know.

August 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tom

Bull is a misnomer for these types of dog. Look at the morphology – the oversized head is a retained feature of a puppy. The grab and shake behavior of pups is favored for fighting – mature dogs will bluff too much- and the lovable dependent side of these dogs is the puppy biproduct that draws people to them. These breeds would be better called "pit pups".

August 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |