August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Amanda

I assume all of you making excuses for pit bulls have never been attacked by one – take it from someone who has: the breed is dangerous. I was helping paint a friend's nursery when her female pit bull came in and, out of nowhere, aggressively lunged at my face, pinning me to the groud and baring it's teeth. If my friend had not ripped the dog off of me, I would have been bitten. I don't trust the breed, I don't want it around me, and I honestly couldn't care less if the entire breed is eradicated. Good riddance to dangerous dogs.

August 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

All breeds are potentially dangerous, some dogs just bite harder than others, and pitbulls are among the stronger variety. the most feral and human aggressive dog I've ever seen was a beagle, but it was just one. P.s. the dog didn't actually bite you. So you don't really know.

August 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cnnfails

IMAGINE THAT, CNN AND THE REST OF THE MEDIA FAILED TO ACCURATELY REPORT THE NEWS, SLAMMED SOMETHING THEY HAVE A BIAS AGAINST, AND WILL FAIL TO ACTUALLY REPORT THE TRUE STORY, AND ONCE AGAIN THOUSANDS OF MINDLESS DRONES WILL BELIEVE THEIR SENSELESS DRIVEL. GG CLONES OF AMERICA, JUST LET YOUR GOVERNMENT AND MEDIA DO ALL YOUR THINKING FOR YOU!!

August 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christine

Oh shut up. German Shephards are just as dangerous and are TRAINED to attack where as most pitbulls are sadly taken in and MADE to attack. Not all pits are bad. No I haven't been attacked, but most people don't get mauled by dogs you idiot. I have a pitbull and you can tell she was abused by the submissive head ducking. Get your crap straight. Pitbulls are not all dangerous. Any dog will and can bite/attack. Get over it.

August 15, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fabian

I couldn't agree more with you. I live in Thailand and there has been at least 4 fatal pitbull attacks that made headlines in the past 2 years here in Thailand.

August 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Baby Blue

Actually, the news media (and police) jumped to conclusions. It looks like the dog didn't kill her. Still waiting for the coroner's report but it looks like she fell and hit her head...

August 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus Vermalien

Because an article on the Examiner is going to be really accurate. That's why the dogs charged the CPR folks, too, right? Stop making excuses. It's time we banned this dangerous breed.

August 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • FaolRua

@ Marcus...ANY dog will charge strangers who appear to be assaulting his humans. CPR can appear very violent.

I haven't seen any evidence here that the dog attacked the woman, and I consider it highly unlikely, if they'd raised him from a pup. Pit Bulls aren't demons...they're just dogs that have been bred to have a powerful bite.

In the 60s it was the German Shepherds that everyone was afraid of. In the 70s, it was the Doberman. In the 80s and 90s, the Rottweiler. Now it's the Pit Bull. Dogs are dogs, people. It's the people who screw everything up.

August 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mysticamami@gmail.com

This is on of those stories that seriously tick me off. The PITBULL had nothing to do with her death, she hit her head, her fur baby would have tried to help her, a dog will try to help its human. He lunged at the paramedics cause he thought they were hurting her. PLEASE do some research on the breed, I would be more scared of a chihuahua, Pitbulls are very loyal dogs, when they are raised right and given love.

August 15, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marcus Vermalien

But they're peaceful dogs...I thought? Pit Bull fans will tell you that nothing's wrong with them, that they're unfairly picked on, right? Yeah, okay... Ban the breed, save lives. It's that simple.

August 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cnnfails

Marcus, if you haven't figured out that 90% of reported "news" on the media giants is a sham, than you sir, are a complete moron. You're still arguing over the fact that the dog killed her when she died due to head trauma. FFS man either open your eyes or take a lead pill and do the world a favor. As far as the paramedics being "attacked?" The dog was trying to protect its owner...educate yourself past the 5th grade. Please.

August 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. IndependentVoter

Ban pitbulls! these dogs are killers, enough of the animal worshipers hypochresy! This breed needs to be eradicated for good.

August 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ben

Shocker, this was no fall off a ladder. The dog simply mauled her, http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/16/us-pitbull-death-idUSTRE77F02820110816

August 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julie

My daughter was attacked by a pitbull when she was 8 years old while taking out the trash in the alley for me. It was a neighbor's dog who had torn through a wooden fence to get to her. No provocation. My sweet, fat, helpless cat was killed by a pitbull. I've had and been around all kinds of dogs all of my life and I love them. Except pitbulls. Get real. They were bred irresponsibly to fight and maul or kill their opponents. Our shelters are overrun with pitbulls. What is, is. Accept reality and accept the fact that they ALL have the strong inclination to be destructive and dangerous.

August 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. anon

Too bad we can't hear the pitbull's point of view. Maybe they were horrible owners. Maybe he was abused. You never know.

August 15, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. shachar

A pit bull would not be my dog of choice.

August 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SEOliver

The stats don't lie: Pit Bulls ARE dangerous.
    Dog Bite-related Fatalities in the United States
    Year/ Total # /Most fatal attacks by /# Second-most fatal attacks by
    2005/ 29 /Pit Bull (16) (55%) /Rottweiler (6) (21%)
    2006/ 29 /Pit Bull (15) (52%) /Rottweiler (9) (31%)
    2007/ 34/ Pit Bull (18) (53%) /Rottweiler (4) (12%)
    2008/ 23/ Pit Bull (14) (61%) /Husky (3) (13%)
    2009/ 30/ Pit Bull (14) (47%) /Rottweiler (4) (13%)
    2010/ 33/ Pit Bull (23) (70%)/ Rottweiler (4) (12%)
    2011/ 8/ Pit Bull (5) (63%)/ Rottweiler (2) (25%)

August 15, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. R

About 5 years ago my dad owned a pitbull who gave birth to a litter of pups; he kept 2 of the puppies.. They were NOT trained to be fighters- weren't trained to do anything. I went to visit took my dad and took him and all my nieces and nephews out to lunch. My uncle who lived next door came with us. He owned a tiny little dog, forget the breed. When we returned from lunch, as we drove up into my dad's driveway we saw that the pit puppies had gotten out of his fenced yard and were playing tug-of-war with a stuffed animal. We realized the "stuffed animal" was my uncle's dog! One of the pit puppies ripped the little dog's leg off, right there in front of all my nieces and nephews, who thankfully had never gotten out of the car. All the while, the pits had an almost evil looking smile on their faces, they were wagging their tails, as if they were happy. My poor uncle had to shoot his little dog to end it's awful pain! I would NEVER trust a pit! Sorry, but you can defend them all you want! I believe that it's in their DNA to be vicious, they can't help it.

August 16, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
    • lk

That's an awful story! Ripping the poor little dog apart is bad enough, but while it's still alive. Truly terrible. 🙁

September 10, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. BuyBadNewsSellGoodNews

If only Obama had passed the law at the right time, this incident would not have happened!!!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. brinniewales

",,,her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her..." So if she fell why was she injured with dozens of bites? Pit Bulls are dangerous. They are banned from many cities and many insurance companies will not issue homeowner insurance to those who own them. All for good reason.
    There were two Pit Bulls living two doors south of us. One was out on the beach, unattended, and unprovoked, attached one of my employees. The dog left a hole in the man's leg larger than a dime. He now has permanent muscle damage. The same dog attached my small dog, who was on a leash. Fast thinking on my husband's part saved our dog from having a crushed muzzle. What is the purpose of having a pet with the reputation of being unpredictable, violent and deadly?

August 16, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. Doug

Pit Bulls Bad...German shepards Bad....Dobermans Bad....Rottweilers Bad... These Breeds are Attack Guard Dogs and bred that way...I know some people will disagree with me on this but I wouldn't have any of these as a family pet.

August 16, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |