August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. banasy©

Aaron, why do you have to be so damned nasty?
    You don't have to call people imbecile or trash to make your point.
    As a matter of fact, it makes *you* look like an arrogant bully who has to resort to insults because no would pay any attention to you otherwise.
    Now *that* can't be true, can it?

August 12, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. surfsouthbay

seems like a bad pet choice for a pregnant woman

August 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Since the dog was 2 years old... I doubt pregnancy was a factor in their pet choosing.

August 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

I agree, pregnet women have bad mood swings!

August 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. clyde

I'm gonna guess the "Beware of Dog" sign says it all.

August 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. docdoxiedog

I was just thinking yesterday when I saw a neighbor walking a young pit bull why do people keep buying these dogs. They are dangerous animals most likely from over poor breeding just like most full breeds. But for some reason it makes this breed particularly mean. I have neighbors all around here that have them and without fail they get loose and will growl, run at and a time or two attack a person or someone else's pet who are on their leash walking with their owner. Only one that I have seen loose in my neighborhood over and over again does not bother anyone. The owners excuse why the are loose, "they just keep getting out" Stop supporting puppy mills which by the way is where most pet shops get their dogs.

August 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

It is all on how the dog is raised...plain and simple.

August 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

I have two of them. They are both Canine Good Citizens, and one is a therapy dog. She works with Autistic children, and children with Down's Syndrome. She works in retirment homes and in hospitals. The ignorance on this comment board is ridiculous. Take some time to read the Pit Bull Placebo. Stop getting your information from the internet. I know it is hard in the media generation, but you are all so sadly misinformed with myth and hyperbole. I also have a Lab, by the way, her temperment is not nearly as good.

August 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG

I bet the pregnant lady in this story would have spouted the same stupidity you two imbeciles are spouting two weeks ago. . .

August 16, 2011 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

I know several Pits and their owners. Many of them behave just like oversized house cats. Breeding can lead to aggression issues, but it is more often caused by irresponsible owners or poor training.

August 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

To JG: Funny there are several human beings who are perfectly normal and then one day snap and kill someone... should we condemn the whole species for the acts of a few?

August 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

hey have u ever heard of a breeder with a good reputation?

August 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Less Than Human

Pit bull type dogs are the ONLY dogs that ever attack. No lab, or poodle, or any silly designer dog has ever snapped, bit, growled, or injured an individual or been animal aggressive. "At an 84.2 pass ratio the American Staffordshire Terrier ranks above many more popular breeds such as the Beagle at 80.9%, Collie at 79.9% and the Dalmatian at 82.4%" Any animal can attack at any time, provoked or not, for a plethora of reasons. People have created issues with poor breeding, misconduct, abuse, that I will agree. I will keep my innately "vicious" doberman, another breed that has been vilified.

September 2, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Karla

They ask for it they got it.,,

August 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLRS

Yup! Darwin at work!

August 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RUFFNUTT

i heard that phone records indicate the last call was to the vet.. the vet said she was on the phone talking about getting the dog neutered when he heard a barking noise....

August 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeffrey P

That comment about the vet was in bad taste, but damn was it funny.

August 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ashley

Crazy to me how every so often a pit hurts someone and it's all over the news. These dogs are actually VERY good animals to have around the house. I have one of my own and it's the most loyal dog you will ever have. What people don't understand is they are an aggressive breed and territorial if they feel threatened, they will attack. People need to stop being so dramatic and look at the real causes of why these dogs act out.

August 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Montgomery

Thank you Ashley for echoing my sentiments. Pit lover here

August 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

Except when they maul pregnant women, babies, children, the elderly, and other animals. Other than that, I'm sure you are right. They are a cherished blessing.

August 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Austin

Ashley, it is their nature, they are a bred, killing machine, kinda of like you where bred slightly SLOW, its not your fault, its the system.

August 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

I'm not slow, I have a GPA of 4.0. Enjoy your weekend.

August 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Austin, I'm inclined to blast you for your childish insult toward Ashley, but you butchered your post so badly I'm not 100% sure what you are even trying to say.

August 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

August 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • JClarke

A woman named Tina Canterbury in Florida said almost the exact thing you're saying. She had two pit bulls, both altered, that she had raised from puppies. She called them her "bully babies." She treated them like children - they even slept in the bed with her and she would hold toddlers on their backs and allow them to ride the dogs like ponies. It was her contention that pit bulls were misunderstood and as long as you raised, trained and treated them correctly, they were the greatest, most loyal dogs in the world. The pits had free run of the house and back yard and when she left for work every morning, she would go to wherever the dogs happened to be and hug and kiss them goodbye. I've always wondered what Ms. Canterbury was thinking that morning in October 2007 when she went outside to hug her bully babies goodbye and they killed her. Within minutes, her "babies" had reduced her to a mass of raw meat that wasn't even recognizable as a human being.

August 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

JC, that's not how you raise a dog. I wouldn't be putting toddlers on a dog's back and think that I could get away with it. How about an example of someone who raised a pair of pitbulls and actually treated them like DOGS.

August 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kriss greenn

Thank you Ashley! You are one that has it right. Austin: they are not breed to kill, unlike humans. When a dog attacks it's sometimes a reflection of how the owner has treated them. I've had NUMEROUS pits and other dogs that were considered killers and were supposed to be put down. I was able to turn them around and not one of the dogs has EVER attacked me or their new owners. It's all in how you approach them and how they were treated. Pits bounce back the quickest from the worst abuse you can think of and turn out to be the best pets!!!!!!!! GO PIT BULLS!!!!!

August 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Ashley, to each their own. But, this was her dog that turned on her. I've raise 4 dogs over my life and all 4 would have died for me or my children not killed me – including my Chow! I have several friends who own pitts that have told us not to bring our son over or turn our backs on the dog, needless to say we don't visit them any more.

August 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lolamo

Ashley do you even understand what you said? All you did was take the attributes of a pitbull, which ALL sides agree on, and try to twist the words around. Of course they are good arounf the house– when you want to protect your house because you know the pit is going to definitely offend ITS territory. I stress ITS because even the homeowner may violate. Lions, bears, and alligators are terroritorial aswell. What you did is what people say when it comes to the word "retard". They say, "when we joke we dont mean anything mental about it.we just are poking fun of someone's lack of memory or airheadness"... As if "memory" and "airheadness" isnt mental! Reality is these dogs feel threatened more than others and viciously attack! They dont scratch u like a cat and run. They chase you down and keep biting!

August 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lolamo

I meant defend its territory. I'm sure every husband and father would love for their wife and daughter to be gaurded by an aggressive animal who will be territorial. But the risks of a pit turning on their precious jewels far outweigh the "benefit" of having one.

August 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

That's RIGHT!

And, Osama bin Laden was a very kind, loving and compassionate Muslim...

August 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitbulls are the BEST!

Ashley, people that bad mouth these sweet dogs, probably haven't ever seen one or can even tell the difference between them. They are just People who like to cause drama and argue on a obviously right topic. They are called trolls.

August 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Vick, and you, know what pit bulls are good for

How does a loyal territorial dog know that the Fed Ex guy carrying a package is not an enemy that the family must be protected from? They are animals who can kill with their jaws and no "oops, sorry" can undo that.

August 13, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRCLMTY

Pit bulls are great – kind of like having a very loving time bomb, except you don't know when it's set to go off!

August 14, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

JClarke, I am a trainer in Austin. I tell people all the time NEVER to let a child ride on a dog's back. If she did that, she is a misinformed woman, and I can't imagine what else she did wrong. They are dog's NOT horses. I am very sorry, but that woman did not excercise good judgment at all.

August 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vet Tech

Ashley,
      It's all over the news because usually the pit has MAULED OR KILLED someone. Yes, ANY dog can attack and bite but the pit can KILL someone! It does not matter if the dog"did not mean to kill" or that it acted on instinct or "how it was raised"- fact is nature takes over and it is able to kill. When are you and others like you who defend this dog going to get this through your heads?I am a vet tech ( 10 years) and I see this all the time-owners asking about traing their pit after it has tried to bite them. In fact, a few years ago a client almost lost him arm thanks to his beloved pit( whom he had raised from birth). So, I will never have sympathy for these dogs nor will I allow one in my home.

August 19, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Conky2012

You don't have a 4.0 GPA. That is a very outdated number. If you were telling the truth and were still in school your GPA would be higher then that if you were anybody special. Besides GPA scores don't apply to critical thinking, which is way more important in life then most of the garbage you wasted time memorizing in school. Dumb dumb dumb.

August 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • lesa with an e

Lolamo–that is the red flag I have been talking about where people make the mistake. If you allow YOUR dog to guard YOUR house..its not really YOUR house. you have allowed the dog to take the lead...HUGE mistake with large dogs. They can alert, by barking, but the owner has to step in and dismiss the dog. That way the dog doesnt own the house...the human does. My dogs, my rottweilers, get one bark...I take a look...then tell them "off" which means go away from the door or window. If they attempt to bark immediatly again..I claim the space and make them "place" which is on their beds. They are NEVER allowed to be the first one at the door when I open or go out and they do NOT get to bark at will.

August 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldostritch

A lot of people that own pitbulls get them to be "tough by proxy". Far too many of them.

September 3, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mike B

OUTLAW PITBULLS.. AND NOBODY ELSE WILL BE KILLED BY EM!

August 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

outlaw the owners who don't know how to raise an animal

August 12, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

I guess the pitbull agreed with Ashley. Shame the pregnant woman had to be eaten to prove it wasn't raised correctly. 🙁

August 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

I have never heard of a poodle mauling someone, either...annoying someone to death with their yapping I CAN see, though...
    And I am just kidding!

August 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kit

My brother would disagree with you. When he was 2 a poodle charged him and bit his upper lip in two. He still has the scar and he's 21 now.

August 12, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Never seen a poodle capable of mauling someone to death, but their bite isn't pretty and can leave some painful and deforming injuries.

August 22, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Austin

I just love how many people defend these natural born killers, aww shucks they just rip the throat out once golly gee wiz dont get all up set about it, you kid upset my four legged killer, it the kids fault.
    Why dont you hear about any other breed that kills with such consistency.
    The Dogs should be BANNED, the owners of such animals should be held to the law, as if they owned a gun. BUT your dog is sweet and loyal, I get it, yours is a sweet and cuddly KILLER.

August 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • cpuenvy

Austin, you should do your homework before going off on a tirade. ALL dogs are capable of killing people, the owners don't realize that and they treat the dog as if it is a human. Anyway, read the following article. It states that Pit Bulls cause 1/3 of the dog bit fatalities but that children have been killed by Pomeranians. The reason Pit Bulls are up there, I believe, is there are so many of them and their owners don't understand how to treat a large breed. The local rescue in my area mostly rescues Pits from down south, because that is mostly what is there.

August 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicky

90% of fatal dog attacks are by dogs that have not been spayed/neutered: There is not a single case of a fatal dog attack by a spayed/neutered pit bull type dog (National Canine Research Council);

81% of dogs involved in bite incidents were not spayed/neutered (Texas 2002 Severe Animal Attack and Bite Surveillance Summary)

August 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

That is because intelligent people get that it has NOTHING To do with breed and everything to do with the owner. Pit bulls were involved in 2% of all attacks in the 70s. Meanwhile German Shepherds were the #1 killer. In the 1920s, it was Blood Hounds. In the 80s, it was Dobermans, now you never here about Dobermans. Why do we blame the victims? It is not the dog, it is the owner. You are a fool if you truly believe these dogs just snap. There is more to the story– there always is....

August 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • megafairandsquare

I hear and read about MORE tragedies caused by these pitbulls than any heroic acts...Sorry, not a fan

August 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • faith

Wow, Austin, you have a tremendous amount of free time to devote to trolling. Perhaps you could spend some of it volunteering at a rescue, get a litle education. ; )

August 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • lesa with an e

Austin-there is NO killer gene NOR is there a born killer....its a lazy owner NOT doing the right thing.

August 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sam

Just kill the animal already and get it over with. Execute it and give me the pelt as a rug. Worthless creature

August 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike B

I SAY AGAIN.. OUTLAW PITBULLS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE GETS KILLED!!!

August 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kriss greenn

No, you should be outlawed and put down

August 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Maybe we should outlaw humans to, they kill everyday.

August 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

Take a quick look at some other things that have been outlawed, what does that do every time. I makes them even more popular to the masses. I have two Pits that live in house with 3 cats and not once have they even growled at one of them. This is a breed that needs a lot of exercise and a ton of discipline, if you don't have time to spend on those two things, you do not need this type of dog. I've seen a lot of comments on horrible nature and "bred to kill" about Pits. Simple truth is the media needs an ambassador for death stories for their nightly or weekly news feeds so they are on Pit Bulls, in the 80's it was Doberman Pincers, in the 90's it was Rottweilers, and now it's Pit Bulls. Outlaw this breed and they will find another large breed dog to put in the forefront, hey maybe next time it will be the German Shepherd.

August 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

good lord stop being such a drama queen YEESHHHH

August 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

oh stop being so dramatic

August 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Demiricous

If you have a big dog then you have a responsibilty to keep it leashed and chained up. Walk it let it get exercise I'm not saying prison them. But keep them away from people. If you can't control it you shouldn't own it. Ive lived on a farm and raised animals my whole life. You have to be dominant. If not you endager yourself and others.

August 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • rocg

One of the few rational comments on this board. I live in a neighborhood where most dogs are smaller breeds, Labs, and Goldens. Basically, your average suburban "family" dogs. I walk my dogs (one's a pit mix) 2x a day and on average once or twice a week some moron's dog will come running at us barking and snarling. I don't care what kind of dog it is, I yell "NO" and pull out my pepper spray while getting ready to kick it.

The owner is ALWAYS the problem, and most dog owners don't apologize or accept any responsibility for having no control over their dogs and the poor behavior of the dogs. Don't adopt ANY animal if you are not prepared to do your homework, care for the animal properly, including vet bills, etc I'd say 90% of dog owners are incompetent. Ask yourself, do you walk your dog every day? Would you give up your pet if you lost your house? Would you give up your spouse or children if you lost your house? Answer yes to any of these questions and you shouldn't own a goldfish let alone a dog or cat.

August 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PatBostwick

Most pit bulls that kill and seriously injure people are family pets that were raised from puppies and have never been mistreated, so it is NOT how they were raised. Pit bulls were not bred to be pets, yet, people try to turn them into lap dogs. This makes about as much sense as trying to turn a tiger into a house cat. Large dogs need space to exercise and people who keep any large dog – particularly pit bulls, Rotweilers, German shepherds, Akitas, etc. – inside the home or confined in a small fenced area, is asking for trouble. Although no one in their right mind would want a pit bull in the first place, had this particular monster been kept outdoors, where dogs belong, this woman would probably be alive.

August 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

I actually wanted a pitbull...and I went and got one. And it's like someone above said if you show the dominance the dog will listen. They are actually a lot smarter than everyone portrays them to be. But when you show aggression towards them, they are going to give it back to you. That area of town is not the best of places and chances are the dog was not treated and raised properly..I would bet anything on that..With me having a pit, I know what they are like and I can tell you now my dog would NEVER attack anything or anyone..People just need to learn how to raise animals. Every animal should be raised differently only for the pure fact that no animal is the same.

August 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kriss greenn

Once again a person spouting out crap with out research. Yes SOME large dogs do need space and exercise but leaving the dog in a back yard doesn't make things better it actually make it worse. They are not a aggressive breed, and no MOST of the ones brought up in good homes are the once attacking. This same stuff could have happened with ANY breed. The only reason why you don't hear about it much is b/c the media knows people want to hear about Pit Bull attacks rather than a lab or Jack Russel serverly biting a kid.

August 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

You are gonna love this! My Great Dane not only lives in my home but he also sleeps in my bed!!!!!! Someone should convince him all dogs belong outside! lol

August 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • HellCat AllieCat

Seriously, please do not post your untrue statements/judgements about a breed you have clearly not fully researched/ made an attempt to understand. Do you realize that the dogs that are routinely identified by the misnomer category of pit bull are either American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, or American Pit Bull Terriers? Or you think they fall into the pit bull category simply because their head and jowls seem large, even though they bear no similar bloodlines to a terrier? That these breeds were originally known as the nanny dog? That it was the first WWII breed shown on posters? That they score fourth in behavior assessments, above golden retrievers and collies (Lassie, anyone?)? Yes, we sadly hear the negative about this terrier category of breeds, but have you ever considered seeking the vast positive media? Check youtube and you will find how many heroes have overshadowed those that were disgraced for their negative nurture...HENCE, WHY ANY DOMESTIC PET OWNER SHOULD ALWAYS SPAY AND NEUTER IN THEIR AND THEIR PETS' BEST INTEREST. IT SAVES LIVES, BOTH HUMAN AND ANIMAL. I realize you who HATE/MISJUDGE/MISREPRESENT/ and REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND will choose to disagree, but I worked in a shelter as a certified vet tech for 6-1/2 years with a population of 500+ dogs per year, 85% "pit bulls"< and in that time encountered ONE with negative behavior towards a human...I know many of you have clearly demonstrated that you are breedist, I truly hope you're not racist too...

August 13, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jean Sartre

"I worked in a shelter as a certified vet tech for 6-1/2 years with a population of 500+ dogs per year, 85% "pit bulls"< and in that time encountered ONE with negative behavior towards a human..."

Gee, I wonder why the population in your SHELTER was 85% pit bull... might it have something to do with no one but Charlie Manson wanting these bi-polar killer dog?

August 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitbulls are the BEST!

Hey jean maybe its 85% because people like you bad mouth them and make owners get scared to death. I bet your favorite part was to euthanize them you weirdo!!

August 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitbulls are the BEST!

Pat your whole tiger theory is funny, because their are people who raise tigers since cubs and then give them to zoos and/or sanctuaries and they remember and love their owners. Animals have brains so they can love just like any other living thing

August 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRCLMTY

So the safety of children depends on each and every pit bull being correctly raised? That makes me feel so much better, knowing how conscientious the average pit bull owner is.

August 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • lesa with an e

Pat--I disagree. The reason being is that its all about the owner. Dogs are NOT born killers or have a killer gene. Its the person who owns the breed needs to realize its smart as a whip. Any dog..small or large HAS to be socialized and has to have a pack leader to make a good companion. Otherwise the dog will just act like a dog and become its own leader. They HAVE to have a leader in the family..

August 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DVM for 25 years

Ashley wrote: "With me having a pit, I know what they are like and I can tell you now my dog would NEVER attack anything or anyone." on August 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Ashley, this comment by you proves without a doubt that you do NOT understand the breed and should be the poster child for why people like you have no business owning this breed. Yes, pits are okay to be owned by the right people.....but you are not one of them if you truly believe your above statement. RESPONSIBLE (and realistic) owners of pit bulls are the first to acknowledge that their dogs (no matter how they were raised or how sweet they are) have the POTENTIAL to take down and kill a full-grown man on a whim, because the breed was INDEED originally created for the explicit purpose of killing, and has the physical and mental makeup to do such a thing without any warning whatsoever. Behavior is very much a heritable trait, and while how a dog is raised is certainly a factor in its personality, it's not as much so as you seem to believe. As a DVM in private practice for 25 years, I'm willing to bet that I've seen and evaluated thousands (yes, that's with an "s") more of these dogs than you have. Yes, bites are more likely to come from chihuahuas, poodles, etc.....but they do not have the physical ability (nor psychological likelihood) to take down and maul a full-grown man to his death. Pit bulls do, and should be owned/kept ONLY by those who are mature and rational enough to understand that fact and acknowledge it. You don't seem to fit that category are not doing any favors to the reputation of this breed or its owners by your ignorant and blinded comments here. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you in the news one day as a victim such as this woman, because it's clear that you do NOT understand the nature of this breed and refuse to address it in the proper way. I see people like you every day in my office....."But doc, I don't understand.....he/she has ALWAYS been the sweetest dog ever and has NEVER attacked anyone or another dog EVER....." while I'm tending to the usually-fatal damage that has been done to "innocent bystander" dogs and/or sending their human owners to the hospital if they weren't already transported by ambulance in critical condition. Not many chihuahuas can accomplish either feat. The link provided by someone else in this thread about the killer Pomeranian involved a 6-WEEK-OLD BABY, not a fully grown human being. The absolute number one breed over all those years is the pit bull. Ask any veterinarian who has been in practice more than one month, and you'll hear the same thing. I've trained personal protection dogs for almost 30 years now, and can tell you without a doubt that Dobermans, GSDs, Boxers, etc.: all VERY predictable and easy to read and control. Pits? Ummmm.....nope. They are smart and can be trained as well as any of the aforementioned breeds, but are without exception "loose cannons" like soldiers who came back from the Vietnam War. Even with my extensive background in this area, I could fend off a Doberman or German Shepherd that suddenly "snapped" and attacked without provocation....but I'd be dead meat if a pit bull were to do it, unless I had a gun (not needed to fend off the former breeds when they attack.) They are indeed killing machines if they develop the inclination to kill.

Should they be banned? Not necessarily, imo. But I think special licensing should be required for ownership.....including 2 years of intense animal behavior classes at a college level, plus a license fee of $50,000 per year if the dog is spayed/neutered and $1 million if it is not. That would effectively weed out those who truly care about the breed and want one for the right reasons, and not for the "protest" factor or "status" of having one.

August 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • DVM for 25 years

I also think certain "blind defenders" of the breed have overlooked the facts that reports of human deaths by breeds other than pit bulls almost always occur as a result of:
      1. "pack" mentality which develops when several of them get together and attack as a group (with pits, it's almost always a single dog acting on its own.....or occasionally, a pair)
      and
      2. deaths by other breeds are almost always related to secondary infections and other sequelae to the initial attack injuries (with pits, the deaths almost always occur on the spot, at the scene of the attack, because it's the dog's explicit intent to kill, and not just fight/maim.)

August 29, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Leah

I adopted a husky/border collie mix, the first week I had her, outside kids were playing with her in the grandmother's front lawn and what happens???? A PITBULL that got loose from some neighbors yard zeroed in on our dog and went full mode attack!!!!! No reason at all.....just came running full speed and bit/attacked our dog!!! What if it would have attacked one of our kids? My husband pinned it down because it was running after me and our dog inside of the house!!! I don't care how "gentle" they CAN Be....I won't EVERRRRRRR trust one after that incident. And yes, we DEF called animal control!!!!

August 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sjane

I would have killed it then and there....

August 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Guess what, some dogs don't like other dogs. This has nothing to do with how that dog would have been toward your child. More ignorance. Not getting along with dogs doens't translate into humans (ask ANY trainer/behaviorist). My neighbors Lab didn't like my pit bull, but that was Ok, we kept them apart. About 50% of dogs don't like other dogs. Your neighbor should have been responsible, and that is a problem.

August 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • MLRS

The correct answer here is a reliable round like .38 +P high expansion hollow points out of a revolver. .357 offers too much muzzle flash and noise.

August 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

how do you know it was a pit?

August 27, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |