August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. jeff

The best part about hearing people say that their pit bull is a real sweetie, is knowing that they will be killed by numerous powerful bites marks.

August 20, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jeff

Its maddening listening to pit bull owners claiming that pit bulls are so sweet. Its nice to see one of them get it in the ass. At least it wasnt the neighbors family. Go pit bulls go. All pit bulls should be named darwin.

August 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HollyG

This is why I own a collie. Tragic story.

August 21, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Gort01

Just think what the dog would have done to the baby???? something is wrong with people that have pitbulls that kill...what is this couples malfunction? cant wait to hear from family members about their dog raising skills....

August 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • HA25

Holly, if you think Collie's can't be vicious dogs you are living in a dream world. They are easily on any top-10 dog bite lists out there.
      Not that that puts them on par with Pit Bulls mind you, but I wouldn't leave a Collie running free or around a young child unsupervised.

August 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bayousara

Well, it all has to do with population control. Two down because of stupidity. Is it genetic? Might be.

August 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • anthony

you own a collie cause your a close-minded follower, square.

August 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • CRAZZZYYYY

Obviously if there were no prior issues with the dog its not the raising skills in question. Many things may have happened and to speculate on anything withot all the details is irresponsible. And fpr the record.... German shepherds and CHOWS account for more then a third of dog attacks look it up...

August 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bibi

Hard to believe that the dog did this. They have had the dog since it was a puppy. Somebody planned and instigated the dog to do this, if the dog did. Hope it all come to light soon.

August 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ashleysodumb

Anyone that thinks pitbulls only react to how they were raised are morons, the breed is named pitbull because they would be set loose to kill bulls in a pit. I think the wrong person died in this story, go play with your sweet doggie some more ashley I would love to see your opinion after getting bit. I'm sure the woman that died was as dumb as you and I bet her last thoughts were "oops I was wrong about pit bulls" guess we will see you posting your nonsense in the next dog attack story huh? Yeah

August 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • getyourfactsright

no ashley pitbulls were not thrown into pits to fight bulls. They were used as bait for bulls. Bull handlers used the breeds tenacity and fearlessness to their advantage and sent the dogs out to bait the bulls into the directions the handlers wanted. Later this breed was used in pit fighting since a bunch of males didn't have enough testosterone to fight each other and instead unleashed dogs on each other in a pit to kill one or the other.

August 23, 2011 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
    • zevra

First of all, Pit bull dogs should not be allowed in any household as they are a dangerous and unpredictable breed! and to talk about someone that just passed away like that is shameful! You will have to answer to God for that one!

August 23, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Spruce

As an owner of a pit bull for the last five years I can tell you they are a loving and forgiving breed. ANY dog can snap, infact in my house it is the beagle you want to watch. She is very much a dog with limited people that she views as safe. While our pit will play with anyone. Even my cousins child who hits her (he has been told to stop but does it to his dog and thinks it is ok) she is calm with him and lets him pet her. You should never judge a breed. A bad dog is just that no matter what breed they are.

August 23, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • HA25

Spruce – Darla (the victim) would have said the exact same thing about hers only a few weeks ago. You can't judge a breed by one dog. These dogs don't belong in a civilized society. I have had experience with 4 of them all bad. 2 of course owned by drug dealers.

August 23, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ

I am a long-time dog owner, and dog lover, who had to recently revise his views based on the first hand experience of going through a viscous and unprovoked attack last month by a neighbor's Rottweiler which got loose and attempted to kill me. While I still do agree that you can't really judge a breed, my overall feelings about the difference between a smaller and generally less aggressive breed (which can just bite you) vs. a larger and generally capable of more aggression breed (which can attack and kill you) have changed. I don't know what the answer is as far as society goes, but can tell you that your reality is much different when you are simply discussing this issue than it is when you are being chased down and ripped open by an animal that can toss a 180 pound man around like a rag doll. I am lucky to be alive and to only have permanent disfigurement. The conversation really needs to be framed around "bite" vs. "attack." A cat or mouse or squirrel can bite you, but it takes something larger and stronger with a genetic predisposition toward attacking a man-sized prey to "attack" you and kill you on the spot. I can tell you first hand that you never, ever want to be attacked like this, or even vulnerable to this type of attack.

August 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Spruce-Here is the issue with "any" dog snapping: A beagle isn't going to kill you. It lacks the strength to do so. Pitbulls are bred to be fighters, their jaws are powerful. I'm sorry, but this defense of pitbulls is ridicolous. Please show me a study where they aren't in the top 5 for attacks in any given year and they always are at the top for attacks that result in fatalities. Stop defending a breed that should be outlawed.

August 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Face Reality

Pitbulls: trash dogs for trash people. Shoot 'em on sight. The pitbulls too.

August 26, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joe in CA

Out here in California,there are two types that keep and breed these dogs.White trash(although,just "trash" in general might be more on target) and drug dealers.The pot growers up here in Northern CA love them because of their aggression,perfect guard dogs for their pot farms.I agree,the breed should be outlawed.And to people who say "well,any dog can attck..." Yes,but lets compare it using snakes.You can go to a pet store and get a python.In theroy,a python CAN hurt,if not kill someone.Sure.But when was the last time you saw a King Cobra at a pet store? A cobra,like a pit bull,is a killing machine.Only an idiot would keep one as a pet.

August 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • getyourfactsright

and we should outlaw and ban all dumb "joes" from posting to forums. sterilize the breed. I have only had bad experience with the 20 I have known so they must all be the same. Kill em all.

August 23, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. Adam

Pitbulls aren't good with other animals, but they love the hell out of humans. I won't deny that I wouldn't want one with another animal, but humans are a pitbull's best friend.
    Before Pits, it was Rottweilers, before that it was Dobermans, and before that it was German Shepherds.
    Why is it so hard to believe that the owners who raise these dogs the wrong way are responsible?

August 23, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
    • DZA

"...but they love the hell out of humans." Yeah, as a snack.

August 23, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patty

You hit the nail on the head! So true. But people are driven by fear.... they don't understand. Especially people who dislike dogs... they would never understand. I have a pitbull, and she is the sweetest dog on earth. Condeming a breed is like condeming a 'race' - oh wait, we've [humans] have also done that...

August 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. becks

I've been reading the comments and I have a question for the commenters who want pit bulls exterminated....where does it stop. If you get rid of the pit, then what breed will be labeled as the most dangerous and then also exterminated? I do not have a pit, however I have a pure bred Chow and I've actually had people tell me that they'd rather own a pit before a chow. Yes, they have an awful reputation and you either love them or hate them, but I did alot of research on the breed and spent alot of time finding a reputable breeder who bred for temperament.

So what I'm asking is if you exterminate the pit, how long before we're exterminating the rottie, doberman, german shepherd and chow?

August 23, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ken

Despite the US probably having one of the highest ratio of petowners in the world, so many people don't understand their own animals. NO breed is inherently more prone to bite than another – it's all a result of training. Unfortunately, every decade or so a new breed is designated the "badass" dog and all the careless owners who dream of having a personal canine attack squad flock to it.

As someone who knows how to handle a dog, I would actually much prefer dealing with a Pitbull than an aggressive Chihuahua – because you can bet your money that Chihuahua owner is running behind it cooing and would verbally abuse/litigate you if you laid a finger in defense. And for the record, I'm not a Pitbull owner (prefer Collies), nor do I have a Rott/GSD/Doberman. But I've seen beautifully trained dogs of all four breeds. If anyone's to blame, it's really the puppy mills that practice no responsibility in pruning more violent bloodlines, and the owners for not owning their dogs properly.

Case in point: How many dog owners let their dogs walk in FRONT of them while on a leash? Even though that's among the worst things you could possibly do?

August 23, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. huge heart

THREE TIMES? THEY SHOT THE DOG THREE TIMES??? ONCE WOULD HAVE DONE IT. WAY TO MAKE THE DOG SUFFER. HOW MANY TIMES HAD THE DOG BEEN ABUSED? NO DOG ATTACKS FOR NO REASON. I HAVE A PIT. I LOVE HIM. I TRUST HIM MORE THAN MY GRANDPAWS LAB MIX. WHO ATTACKED ME. IF IT WERENT FOR MY DOG, THE HUSKY LAB MIX WOULD HAVE KILLED ME. BIG THANKS TO MY PIT BULL. AS FOR HIS WIFE, ITS SAD BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT SHE DID TO HIM. ITS PROBABLY HER HUSBANDS DOG AND SHE DIDNT LIKE IT.

August 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • zumajim

Yes, the cops shot it *only* three times. The point is they killed the damned thing. They could have emptied their guns into it for all I care. Few dog breeds have the aggressive nature and more importantly the *huge* jaw muscles that give the fangs the strength to puncture automobile tires. Pit bulls should be outlawed, or at least classified as weapons, regardless of how "sweet" they can be when they're not mauling and killing people.

August 23, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motivator

zuma please shoot yourself in the face numerous times... you'll be doing the world a favor

August 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • getreal

If "one would have done it", then the dog didn't feel the last two shots. So what are you crying about? Please do keep in mind that a pregnant woman was torn to pieces and killed in a very terrifying and painful way. The issue of how to handle pit bulls around humans is a different issue, but those heartless fools who want to mock the family should take a step back and look in a mirror and imagine it was someone that they loved.

August 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • getreal

And therefore you, who KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED, are going to blame the woman whose body was torn to shreds.............you THINK you have a huge heart ... you have NO HEART..........

August 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe

When I had to insure my house they asked me if I had a dog. When I inquired as to why they said that this particular insurance company wouldn't insure you if you had a certain kind of dog. They based this information off statistics, just like all insurance companies do with everything. Facts, not feelings.

The list is as follows. Pit bulls, rottweilers, mastiffs, huskys, german shepherds and dobermans.

You want a family dog? Get something like a brown lab. They will happily follow you off a cliff just to maybe get your approval.

August 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. notthedogsfault

There's soooooooo many warnings signs of a dog that is about to snap. Don't blame it on the "breed," blame it on people not being educated on how to raise a dog.

August 23, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jth

It is amazing how many times you read a story and the people/neighbors/friends say the same thing. They were such a loving dog, so gentle, such a good dog. I don't understand. Does anyone else see a pattern here? I love dogs but I just believe some breeds have a lot more agression and need more caution being around. I will not allow them in my house because I have 3 small children and will not forgive myself if something like this happened to them.

August 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pearl

This whole story seems strange because the dog was hovering over her and then charged at anyone who would go near her. Dogs do not perceive humans as food, so it seems that the dog was protecting her.

Those of you who claim that pitbulls are a vicious breed and have always been, please do some research. Pitbulls were considered nanny dogs in the past. Banning or requiring sterilization of a certain breed of dog is quite a horrible idea. The idea that we are superior because we are human beings and can make these kinds of decisions regarding animals is just ludicrous.

August 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kozy

when will people learn, she probably was the type that said"oh my dog wouldnt hurt anybody" and to think they were gonna bring a baby into this situation, im sure the mother gave her life for that babys cause it would of been a horrific death that was for sure gonna happen....

August 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |