August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Louis

Not only do I not own one of these horrible creatures; I don't allow my neighbors to have one either. Two years ago our backyard neighbor got one and I tormented them until they got rid of the P.O.S. They have a three foot fence and I have two young boys and there was no way I was going to allow the situation to persist. I gave them two weeks to remove the killing machine from the premises and they complied; if not I would have certainly taken matters into my own hands. Like others have posted, why take the chance when there are so many other breads you can own. Those who insist on owning and/or defending these creatures will receive nothing but scorn from me.

August 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wildcat

My buddy was a breader for a couple of years. My wife and I helped deliver one of the litters and my wife took a male puppy. We had another dog and a couple of cats. The other dog was an 8 yr old shepperd mix, wonderful dog, true guard dog. Sounded like a monster if someone was walking down the alley. As the puppy got older he became more aggressive towards the older dog to the point we had to take the older dog to the vet for a couple of times that he was cut up. All my animals know that I am the leader of the pack but it took awhile for him not to attack my older dog. I assume he was just trying to establish pecking order but the fact remains that you just couldn't trust him. Yet my older female cat loved him. He never attacked my cats because he knew that was not allowed. But when it came to the dog I guess it was just ingrainede in him. So the wind, rain, thunder, load noise etc would set him off. Destoyed my back porch, ripped out telephone wire, chewed new screen doors etc. We have grandchildren and we could just not feel right about that. The wife made the decsion to give the dog up(her call). She has always had big dogs in her life so it was a hard thing for her to do. A few months later she went to the pound to get another dog and came back with a ridgeback(I don't think that is what it is) 100lbs of fun. Big docile male who when my cats first saw him and hissed he rolled over on his back. I think he was abused at his last home because he was kind of spazzy and scared. I love animals, all kinds. We have 3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 turtle and one fish. But personal opinion, I would never own another pit because you just don't know. His stud male knew me for over 8 years but if I went over to the house when he wasn't home the dog would try to come thru the glass to get me. All about personal choices and I choose not to tempt fate.

August 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John Q.

Garbage comments. Statistics just make the issue worse as pit bulls are the dog of choice for those of questionable behavior. Raised correctly all dogs are equal in terms of mentality, the only difference for some of the "dangerous" breeds is the powerful jaws which when something does happen it can be more gruesome (which is why it's the dog of choice for them). Those of you with blatant hatred or distrust for pit bulls are driven entirely by the media's spin on it. Raise any dog incorrectly and you increase your risk, but the amount of attacks are so minimal in the grand scheme that it's the same as people's fear of sharks when they go to the beach.

August 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

Finally someone with some common sense! My family has owned 5 pit bulls and they were absolutely magnificent dogs who were very loving. You have to know how to treat these poor things unless your going to unleash their power.

Garbage comments indeed.

August 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay L

Agreed, Jon. Breed Specific Legislation is the public's way of "dealing" with an issue without really dealing with anything. There is no such thing as a bad dog but there are many, many bad owners. If you can't handle a Pittie, don't own one. It goes to show the amount of forethought of this couple that they would still own the two dogs when she was pregnant. Not wise though my heart goes out to the Husband. What a nightmare.

August 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

I agree as well, pit bulls are no more likely to attack a person than any other dog. The reason I wouldn't own one and why I respectfully fear them, is because their bite is more likely to kill, making them very dangerous. The unfortunate reality is that so many irresponsible people own them and breed them with extreme carelessness.

August 26, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dale

If you own a pit bull, you should be made to have it registered as a lethal weapon. Why anyone would want to raise a dog, that has the ability to tear a human to shreds, in a neighborhood filled with potential victims is beyond me. These are not dogs that only show aggressiveness when treated or trained poorly; they are instinctively territorial and very aggressive. I think they and their owners should all be forced to be neutered.

August 27, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
    • lala

Hannah, you're an idiot.

So you owned 5 great pit bulls huh? And that's supposed to negate the horror of one going bonkers in the head (like they often do for no real reason) and killing it's owners?

Do you even REALIZE how many dead pit bull owners LOVED their pit bulls, and thought they were the sweetest, most gentle dogs on the planet? According to Greg Nappora, these dogs were kind, loving, easy, tame, etc....!

So what made it snap then? Since you are such a pit bull apologizing genius....? What makes them ALL snap? Was it Darla's fault because she (according to you) "didn't know how to properly handle it" by falling off a ladder??? CRAZY PSYCHO. And you're comment is complete garbage.

August 27, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • lala

John Q, last time I checked shark attacks were dangerous and something to watch out for, but not be scared of.

However, we don't keep sharks as pets..... to play in the neighborhoods and attack innocent people who wanted nothing to do with a shark regardless.

You'll never get it, because pit bull apologists are extremely dim witted, but I'll try:

If you go into the ocean, especially certain parts, you know the slight risk you are taking of getting attacked by a shark, jellyfish, whatever! However, if you don't go into the ocean you shouldn't have to fear still getting attacked by a shark at all! Half the time it's the innocent neighbor down the road that gets mauled to death!

Keep your nasty beasts on a chain and away from my family.

August 27, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • gsim

All dogs are not equal...i bought a bird dog because instinctively she hunts birds and is breed to not only be better physically at it but have bred in bird sense. I could train a rat terrier to hunt birds, but but it would take a lot more effort and it would still probably want to chase field mice.

Sure you could train any dog to be vicious, but fighting dogs have been bred to do a much better job at it. To think your pitbull/or similar dog doesn't have any instinctual habits is idiotic.

August 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • midge k

To some extent I do agree with you. Typically, if a dog is raised "right," it will not be agressive or violent. However, it is an absolute fact that Pit Bulls have a much higher propensity to bite...and because of their strength/jaws the bite causes more injury than most other dogs. My husband is an attorney and I work on a lot of his personal injury cases. I also have managed a personal injury law firm for six years. I have worked on 19 dog bite cases in the past 6 years. 18 of them involved Pit Bulls. Only 1 was a Pit Bull that was not a family pet (basically just used to breed dogs for fighting). All 17 of the others were lovable, well behaved, trained, reliable family dogs,without a bite history. In all 17 of these cases, the owners were absolutely shocked that their Pit Bull had attacked anybody. In five of these cases thePit Bull attacked the child in the family. Being an owner of 2 Rottweilers, I used to get offended when people "stereotyped" Pit Bulls (Rottys also). But numbers dont lie. I have seen over and over and over again that Pit Bulls attack much more frequently than other breeds.

August 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • xpez2000

"You have to know how to treat these poor things unless your going to unleash their power."...If this isnt the dumbest comment ever. in other words...take care of these dogs or else they are going to kill someone..

Why does that even need to be a risk???
      Especially when the power that is unleashed will probably be an innocent bystander...

Who draws the line where carelessness exists? forget to feed the dog until later? dog was hungry from running around in the yard? The dog was scared of the delivery man? The dog took the toy from the child and the child wanted it back so the DOG bites his arm off???? For those wanting to keep these pets and feel the that everyone is being to concerned about their well behaved dog...You havent seen all of the reports of all of the PIT BULL incidents around the world! they are gruesome and unbelievable like it was the result of wild animal attack!!!

August 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • fedup

I was bitten by our family dog (half Pit) when I was 15. The injury to my face was ghastly and painful beyond belief but luckily was not fatal and healed up pretty well. This was after years of dealing with this dog becomming aggressive and obnoxious for no apparent reason. My parents chose to keep the dog and not report the incident. The dog is long gone now and I blame alot of his behavior on the way he was "trained" to behave. But, since then I have only owned, rescued and rehabilitated all types of cats. Including ferals. I have a bobcat that I would trust before I'd ever trust a pitbull again. They are clean, don't spray, are great hunters, keep my house free of bugs and are loyal, affectionate companions. They stay indoors and the only injuries are to my furniture. Whatever kinds of pets you choose, please adopt them from shelters or off the street and keep them inside. And treat them well, they deserve it.

August 27, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shark_VS_PitBull

JohnQ – better check your facts. The year 2000 was the highest number of fatal shark attacks being 11. In the 3-year period from 2006 to 2008, pit bull type dogs killed 52 Americans and accounted for 59% of all fatal attacks. That's 14 a year average for that time frame. The New York Times reported in July 2008 that there had been only one fatal attack in the previous year.On average, there are 16 shark attacks per year in the United States with one fatality every two years. Looks like bit bulls trump sharks.

August 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cheyla

Immediate execution without a trial – maybe if we had that in humans, we could eliminate prisons and balance the budget!

August 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tony B

Dogs of Different Breeds are different. They were bred for different purposes. I have owned many dogs in my 72 years including Pit Bulls. I would not want to hurt a Pit Bull even accidentally by stepping on a sore paw or something like that. I feels the possibility of a Pit Bull Flying into a rage is much more likely than other breeds. Never let a child play unsupervised with a Pit Bull. I feel like this breed is a mistake in the modern world and should be only handled by the most experienced pet lover.

August 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Arkie

The people making stupid comments about pit-bulls must be the same people who were stupid enough to vote for Barak Hussien Obama...

August 26, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

And your comment is equally stupid.

August 26, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

I agree

August 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

with the first comment not the person who replyed

August 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. George

Pit bulls are animals; and like ANY animal, they may (at some point in their lives) revert to "natural animal instincts". While this is a tragic story, it does prove an interesting point; no matter how much you try to plan for the unexpected, it's called "the unexpected" for a reason. If we could adequately forsee and avoid every possible dangerous situation and scenario, no one would ever be in a car accident or a plane crash. I feel that the Napora's took reasonable precautions with the particular dogs they chose to own, and were aware that certain behaviors by the dogs were "possible". Again, this turned out to be a tragic situation, and one that Mr. Napora will have to deal with for the rest of his life.

August 27, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. Martina

The only people would want to keep these ugly and dumb-looking dogs is to boost their egos because this is the only way they know how.

August 27, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
    • mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

well you know nothing about pitts so you know what I think that you should do a little reasearch before you go and say something rood and inconsiderate like that. you know what you are, someone who belives media and cant make an educated decison. If I were you, I would meet a pitt angel before you make another big mistake and sterio type the breed like you just did again.

August 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mark jones

Are you people NUTS! This breed is like a loaded gun. How many people have to be killed by their "family pet" before we outlaw this breed? Anyone who owns one gets what they ask for...

August 27, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Honey 2000

I agree, this breed is a mistake because of the unpredictable and uncontrollable mayhem that occurs when they "snap". They attack and don't let go. This couple thought they were good owners too, no doubt. I am sure there are many examples of these dogs being great pets, but for me, the "x-factor" of unpredictability is not acceptable. I think we would all re-evaluate this breed if viewing of the horrific photo evidence of these gruesome attacks were made public. Family dogs are sweet golden retrievers, or similar, not pit bulls! If you want to feel protected, go buy a gun, not a "loaded gun" pit bull.

August 27, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Phil G

This is a mildly sad case, but thankfully for all the innocent people who don't choose to harbor dangerous animals in their houses the person killed was the one who made made thefoolish risky choice to keep a dangerous potentially lethal pit bull in her house.

No one has ever been killed by a labrador retriever or a saint bernard or a newfoundland etc etc.

In those truly sad cases where a pit bull kills an innocent person other than its owner, I believe that the owner should be held criminally repsonsible as if the owner herself had comitted the murder. The very act of owning a dangerous breed and thus endangering the life and limb of the innocent public requires acceptance of full responsibility for ones choices.

August 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nikki

Ok so you know what ive had enough of people trashing pit bulls. Layla you know what just keep your rood comments to your self. how many pit bull have you had? hmmmm lets see none!!!!!!!!!!! they all dont snap and they all arent agressive,I would know because im very good friends with someone who has a blue pitt. so you know what i say its not the breed that has a problem its us and if YOU have a problem with what I just said, then take it up with ceaser milan.

August 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED

August 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tracey

I pray for this poor woman and her loved ones! Having lost a family member to a pit bull attack myself .. that is really the most important issue here. This young PREGNANT woman lost her life! I dont care where the problem lies at this point..owner or breed but something has to stop these horrific killings from happeneing. I understand people being passionate about animals..but I would also love to hear the suggestions they come up with to fix the problem after theysee their loved ones litterally eaten to death in some cases. I think when the blood and the horror are something you have actually seen, not just intellectualized, it can shift perspective!!

August 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. xpez2000

Say what you will about about friendly pit bulls...BUT no other dog has the potential to completely shred a human being like a pit bull. So be it as it may that some pit bulls are friendly this breed has the most lethal potential to inflict severe trauma upon a human being. THAT IS THE ISSUE...not whether or not some pit bulls are nice and wouldnt hurt a flea.

August 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |