August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. mmmmmkkkkklllllllll

realy dylan realy, wear did u get that information from?

August 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. True-lu

Rotweiler Kills Todler. German Shepard Mauls Infant. Pit Bull kills Woman. Why do people continue to be surprised? These are ANIMALS. They are not predictable and it is arrogant in the extreme to think that we know them. it's terrible this happened but...surprised? I never am. I don't understand people.

August 27, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Buster Friendly and his Friendly Friends

Dogs don't kill people, people kill people.

August 27, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • DogLover

I agree whole hardheartedly with WhyOwnAPitBull's response.

Any pet is capable of turning on and harming their owner or others. There are several breeds that are more commonly known to be responsible for biting then the pitbull breed. I don't believe the pitpull is necessarily an aggressive breed however the main issue here IS THOSE DOGS ARE NOT CAPABLE OF INFLICTING THE SAME AMOUNT OF DAMAGE AS WHEN A PITBULL ATTACKS. This is the issue. And this is also why these stories tend to make the news. The poodle may be more likely to bite a person, but fee-fee the poodle doesn't make the six o'clock news because her attack did not cause the death of her owner, or a child and so on.

Growing up I was bitten by a dog as I ventured too closely to its yard. I might not have survived the attack had this been a pitbull. Provoked or unprovoked, bad dog owner or good dog owner..... this is a dangerous breed WHEN it attacks and like all dogs it does attack from time to time, and too often the results are devastating. I have met several pitbulls that were very sweet, however I do not support the continued breeding of this dog for the very reason of what they are CAPABLE OF. It is just too risky and with the availability of so many other breeds less capable of harming and killing should it attack, it doesn't make sense to own a pitbull.

I do not misunderstand this breed. They can be loyal, sweet, loving companions but they always have the potential of being a deadly weapon.

August 29, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucin

An unfortunate incident. Sorry for the loss of Ms. Darla.

Now to address all of the breed haters. No, I'm not going to defend the pitbulls and say OMG they are just a misunderstood dog...

Keep in mind, Dobermans for a long time were the "killer breed"
      Rottweilers were considered a "killer Breed"
      German Shepards .... pretty sure they do some damage
      King Shepards....
      Chows
      Akitas
      German Maumaws...
      Huskies....
      British Bulldogs were once the MOST aggressive breed of any kind. ( anyone who doesn't believe me... look up what they were bred for and then try to argue.)

Being a pitbull has nothing to do with it. Any dog is capable of snapping. The larger the breed, the more likely it can happen, as some dogs do have issues with their brains swelling. This causes MANY issues with the dog, often causing the dog to bite or attack. Not to mention there are several other mental disorders dogs can have that cause things.

... and... for those of you that seem to think that poodles are harmless... have you ever seen an ACTUAL poodle? when people say poodles are aggressive, they aren't talking about the little designer breed.

August 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

An unaltered pit bull can be a time bomb. Please remember to spay and neuter your pets. This may have been avoided if he was neutered. The majority of these cases are unaltered animals.

August 30, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JustHuman1951

Here's my reply...if I EVER see a Pitbull loose in my yard...I won't hesitate to kill it even if it's breaking the law. True there are other breeds that bite more often, but one the PB tastes blood...it won't stop. Why anyone would even want one of this breed is beyond me...get a Beagle, Golden or Lab.

August 30, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gsim

There are hundreds of dog breeds available as pets. They all have built in instinct, temperament, and characteristics. So what is the appeal of pitbulls and other fighting breeds? The look? they latent instinct to fight? the cool TV shows that align with the poor mis-understood breed?

If i bought a bird dog i'd want it to hunt birds, if i got a terrier i'd never want to see a live rodent in my house...and if i got a fighting dog i'd expect my face to get ripped off....or at least the face of my neighbors kid.

August 28, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Disgruntled_girl

Such thought process were allowed to flourish regarding humans, too, ya know.
      I got my pit bull because he was a stray, he was sweet and anywhere I took him to turn him in (I wasn't ready for a dog) pretty much they'd shoot him.
      So. In short – I own a pit bull because of people like you.
      People that once said blacks were only good for one thing. Or Jews were' only good for one thing. The Irish were only good for one thing... this could go on.
      And has.

August 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThatGuy

That's fine that your dog is special. I am glad you like risk. Just as if you leave a gun carelessly out and someone gets injured your are liable for damages and criminal negligence at the least, if your pitbull mauls someone, family or not, you should be held liable in the same fashion. This man who owned the pitbull should serve a small amount of time, or be entered into a community service program as some form of penance for his irresponsibility

August 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • mindcrime

YEAH EXCEPT THESE ARE CANINES, NOT HUMAN BEINGS RETARD.

August 30, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
    • JustHuman1951

I too am glad you have a gentle (hopefully neutered) PB. Problem is, some folks (aka Michael Vick) raise them in a way that amplifies their already aggressive instincts. Yeah, I know, you could do the same with a Dachshund but there would not be much "street cred" to be gained from that. And PLEASE don't say I'm being racist...I know quite a few white boys that own PBs as extensions of their egos.

August 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Paul

No need for a surveillance system when you've got a protective dog that kills. What a great household pet. More people should own them and more people should die for owning them.

August 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • HxC19D

Perhaps Michael Vick would agree?

August 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tracey

My condolences & prayers go out to Darla's husband and loved ones, but my question is; why can't we put down killer people like we do animals? Why do taxpayers have to pay to keep violent murderers & rapists alive??

August 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

what are you talking about?

August 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cleareye

Is that what Jesus said?

August 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThatGuy

Yeah... I believe Jesus said that in the revised Republican Bible... Book of Rush

August 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Socal

We do, it's called the death penalty you fool.

August 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Robert

This breed of dog is a time bomb.

August 28, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lorets

American Pitbulls get bad rap because of irresponsible breeding and upbringing. They are not born fighters or killers. STOP this ignorant assessement! This is like saying murderers and rapist and thieves were inborn! The report says they raised the dog from puppy. They respond well to her commands. They never had issues. So why the sudden attack? Has the husband been investigated and interrogated? What an easy way to put the blame on the family dog who had never displayed any types of aggression to its owners and nieghbors! Ignorant people repeat what they read and heard on the news about these types of dogs but responsible owners can attest these types of dogs are one of the best family dogs!! and for the person who sent it comment saying minorities like pitbulls are responsible for most fatalities...you forgot to include that Pitbulls are also ONE OF THE MOST ABUSED DOGS in this country!! But of course narrowminded people tend to select what they want to hear and read. GETEDUCATED!

August 29, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

The dog charged the first responders. Its also kind of hard to mimic a dog attack as far as wounds go so I'm pretty sure they would have known if the husband had anything to do with . You are defending a DOG and assuming that a human must have done it? If there is nothing wrong with pitbulls then WHY are they always the breed that is responsible for these types of random, deadly attacks. Maybe instead of sticking up for pitbulls so fiercely you should questions your own beliefs. GETUNCRAZY!

August 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • hardass cowgirl

@Lorets.Your right about the pit being a well mannered dog.I know your not saying the husband had anything to do with it.I think there was some thing wrong with the pit for it to act that way or it caught some thing.I would never own a pitbull but alot of my friends do and they are very good dogs.Any animal can snap.I own 16 horses.I train and sell them.I'm afraid that one of these days that myself or my kids will get hurt when one of them turns mean.I also own 4 cattle dogs,they to are an agressive breed.I've seen them turn on people to,they just lack the jaw power to cause the same kind of damage as a pit.I also own a boston terrier,when he gets fired up he's got powerful jaws to.I'm with you.The best thing animal owners can do is the reserch and know what is what!!

August 30, 2011 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cleareye

The German Army was made of minorities?

August 29, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pat

All dogs are stupid. Owning one is just a waste of money. If you want to throw money away, give it to me or some poor Nigerian who is going to steal it anyway. Owning a pet in general is dumb. What's even more stupid is people who are on welfare owning them. Get a pet rock! Don't expect me to feel sorry for you when your face gets ripped off by your Yorki.

August 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

Pat, were you the Nigerian jerk who recently sent me the e-mail where you asked for my bank account information to transfer $50,000? You better lawyer up 'cause I lost my life's savings thanks to you.

August 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dion

get a rubber doll

August 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nad

Totally misguided. There's no where in the Bible that God tells parents to KILL their children.

August 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pit bull owner

there is an abundance of ignorance displayed in the comments here. This breed of dog is no more aggressive than others. I was in an obedience class with my pit and a black lab. Guess which one was constantly trying to bite it's owner in the face? Here's a hint. Not my dog. Irresponsible owners are more at fault than the dog. Poor breeding, poor training, lack of stimulation take your pick. My dog doesnt like other dogs so we stay away from dog parks and she is always on a leash when walked. She is only walked by an adult who can control her. Any dog has the potential to be aggressive. The nastiest dog I ever came in contact with was my grandmother's poodle. Do your research before you judge an entire breed.

August 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThatGuy

I will gladly tangle with a poodle any day over a pitbull. As I have said elsewhere, have your pitbull but you are liable for any and all damage it causes – civil and criminal.

August 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • chowchow chowchow

take a look at the facts buddy. I trained dogs for a living. have known 3 people mauled by pits(Badly) and people are even killed by them. yes they can be sweet dogs,yes they may "bite" less than labs or whatever, but you sound like you only love "your" dogs and don't understand the concern here. as far as i know it's the only dog breed banned in denver. that is partially due to the owners who leave them uncut. don't let them jump the fence,don't let them get into the street and try to get them social time.

August 30, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JustHuman1951

So your PB is aggressive to other dogs? How long before if becomes aggressive to humans (not necessarily you)? Sounds like you oughta sleep in a Hurt Locker suit. And no matter what the breed, your dog gets loose and causes ANY kind of damage....you are liable. And if any PB strays loose into my yard, it's getting a meeting with Mrs. Smith and Wesson.

August 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WhyOwnAPitBull

Here's the real truth. All dogs (or even all pets) are capable of turning on their owner and biting or otherwise harming them. The real issue is that pit bulls are capable of inflicting great damage during their attacks. There are only a few dog breeds with the same strength, stamina, and pain tolerance of a pit bull. No matter how mad a Chihuahua , poodle, basset, beagle, etc gets, it does not have the capacity to inflict this kind of damage. There is no good reason to own one of these killers. It is obvious by all the stories you hear that these does are not a good choice for pets.

August 29, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

There are perfectly good reasons to own a pitbull– to help a living creature that's normally abused. I got my pitbull from a shelter, before she was rescued she was chained to a heat radiator on a 6 foot chain– and she was NEVER let off of it. I took her and she was bullish, slightly aggressive and as you say "unpredictable". But I trained myself to teach her how to act around people, and she learned. Now she's a country dog who lives with a black lab, a pug, and three cats who she loves dearly. She's part of the pack and knows exactly how to behave. I have the courage to take an animal and transform it, but it's clear that most of you here don't have the patience to help an animal in need. Every living thing has a right to a good life, this dog clearly was being neglected and the results were such. Go ahead and type cast a dog as if you know what you're talking about, Mike VIck thanks you for your contribution to his newly signed 100 million dollar contract.

August 30, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lunalilo

Even the name 'PIT BULL" sounds aggressive and dangerous. Since they have ugle piggy eyes, maybe they should be called Piganease.

When I see a man with a Pitbull, I always know he surely has a short diddler, and probably beats his wife. May not be true, but that is what I think. .

August 29, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jon

While I love dogs, I'll admit that I wouldn't normally consider adopting a pit bull. But that doesn't mean I don't agree with the notion that their breed has gotten a bad rap. It all has to do with how they're raised. I've been to local pet events where Pits were up for adoption, and they were among the most gentle dogs. On the other hand, if you keep one on a chained leash linked to a pole outdoors throughout even the harshest weather as a sort of "guard dog", then you're probably asking for trouble. You think a dog likes being chained up with little freedom? Being fed nothing but raw meat? You get too close to them and they'll maul you. The Michael Vick Pits were subjected to the harshest treatment to toughen them up for fighting. You can thank Best Friends Animal Society for taking them in and rehabilitating most of them (some to the point of being adopted away).

August 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |