August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Rene

Why wasn't this dog neutered? I imagine that idiot owner was going to breed this dog because there just aren't enough pit bulls out there. The only sad thing is it didn't get a chance to maul the husband/father.

September 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ruti

Pit bulls should all be exterminated! The owners should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, both criminally and civily for any bad acts of their dog.

September 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chuck

I think pit bulls are misunderstood. I have a pet rattlesnake who will not hurt anyone unless provoked. We let our children play with him all the time. We also keep loaded guns in the house for them to play with when their friends come over. I'm thinking about getting some hand grenades to play catch with in the backyard. Come on people! I read about a pit bull attack almost weekly. Not all are killed but many are simply maimed and scarred for the rest of their life and after looking at them you would think they might be better off had they been killed. It's always the same response. He was such a good dog, I just don't know how this could have happened. The same response I will give when my pet rattlesnake bites you or that hand grenade blows your hand off while we're playing a game of catch in the backyard. I just don't know what happened, he never bit anyone before. Again, the handful of pit bull owners in this country are making the rules that impact the other 99.9% of the people who do not want to get their eyeballs chewed out of their ear separated from their head from a pit bull attack. ???

September 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wuzzup

OK, Greg and Darla were responsible "pit bull owners". Unfortunately, they were not responsible to the one person that mattered most...

Each other.

I'm sure this couple loved their killer, too. Just as did Roy Horn adored his Tiger...even after he was turned into vegetable lasagna.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with living in denial...just be dead sure you're right.

September 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

From what I understand, the tiger did not attack Roy. The tiger was actually trying to protect him, but humans are a little more fragile than tigers. If I remember correctly, the tiger was not killed.

Your analogy is flawed.

September 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. owiseone

It's a FACT that pit bulls are responsible for a disproportionate number of horrible attacks. It's a FACT that many of these same dogs did NOT exhibit particularly dangerous behaviour in the past. It's a FACT that many of these attacks are on family members (especially smaller and weaker than the home's "Alpha Male" owner). Does every pit bull attack and kill people? No. Are they a significant risk? YES! It is a dangerous breed, mutated to potential of horrible behavior.

The breed should be exterminated. It seems that half the owners are insecure weak men who are trying to look tough. Put your brass balls on guys and go buy a chihauhau!

September 7, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. SHAY

Working for law enforcement I hear of dog attacks all the time! Most involving smaller dogs... The reason you dont hear of the smaller dog attacks is because they are not large enough to be life threatening. I myself have been attacked by a rottweiler, sharpei, and a pitbull... the pitbull was my PET.... and he only bit me because it was dark and he did not know who i was although he did not bite down hard, once he realized who I was he released his grip! The rotty on the other hand was actually in heat.... and was my grandmothers dog... It is very true when a dog is in heat that it will attack to defend its mate whether you were a threat or not!!!! Any fast movement or close contact around the female will trigger a male in heat to attack and act viciously as if they had rabies!!

September 7, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ohsnap

Dogs have a very keen sense of smell. Are you telling me that your dog, your PET (as you described it) couldn't identify you by your scent?! And it attacked you? Sorry, your argument loses validity right there.

September 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. arthu

Even small dogs have been known to attack kids and babies. You should never leave a child or incapacitated person around any animal.

September 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. patdog

It's Always pit bulls. Lets ban them once and for all. This would have been prevented if pit bulls were illegal.

September 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucin

@patdog

Unregistered guns are illegal.... oh wait... most shootings and deaths from shootings are with unregistered weapons...

Ban a specific breed all together, you say?
      Hitler tried it with the Jews and "non-aryans"
      The US had a huge rights movement about something like this...

September 9, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JayDee

The facts speak for themselves.

In the 3-year period from 2006 to 2008, pit bull type dogs killed 52 Americans and accounted for 59% of all fatal attacks. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths.

September 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucin

@JayDee

let me put emphasis on pitbull TYPE dogs. This is due to reports misclassifying and reporting dog bites occuring by pitbulls. Most often if there is a mix breed or an unidentifiable dog... it is thrown in the "pitbull type" category. So... get us a good statistic that shows the American Staffordshire Terrier, The American Pitbull Terrier, The American Red Nose Pitbull Terrier, or even the blue nose. And then quote your statistic.

September 9, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MissE

Since we're eliminating aggressive dogs we should eliminate stupid people. Then, hey in the past there were kids who shot their classmates, let's ban children too. And well while we're at it we should just kill of our entire race because really aren't we a little more aggressive and violent? Just in the American civil war 600,000 people were killed, I don't know about you but I'd say that's quite a bit higher number than 52. Also according to USA today 4462 soldiers have been killed in the Iraq war. That is humans killing humans.
    I have a pit bull cross and you know what, she is the sweetest and wimpiest dog I've ever had. STOP grouping all these dogs together! Punish the deed of dog fighting(the reason pit bulls have such a bad rap) NOT the breed.

September 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Big D

I have 2 pit bulls a Male 3 years old & Female 6 years old, & a little wire hair terrier female 2 years old. Guess which one attacked my 3 year old son & bit him on the arm & face. Thats right our 5 pounds little wired hair terrier NOT My 2 PITBULLS

September 8, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Karen, Houston

then why do you have these dogs if they attack your children. who do you love more, your child or your dog?

September 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mel

This dog attacked an ADULT, not a child. WHY own a pit bull at all? Any parent owning a pit bull (and child or anyone else is hurt by it) should be charged with being an IDIOT. Pick a different breed!!!!!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mel

OH, and yes, smaller dogs attack at times too, but a Pitt Bull will KILL, so there IS difference and THAT is why people don't like them. They are ANIMALS people, not as important as HUMAN LIFE...and if you have a brain in your head you wouldn't even risk having a dog like this! These dogs don't show prior tendencies of doing this...doesn't that tell you something??? USE YOUR BRAIN and just think about that!

September 8, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Karen, Houston

These dogs should be outlawed. Just last week in Houston a pit bull mauled to death a 13 day old baby while he was sitting in a bouncy seat, and the parents were in the next room. Insurance companies won't even insure a home with a pit bull.

September 8, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Lucin

Yes, they do. Its called Bite Insurance. It covers all types of dogs.

Jews were outlawed once. Join the hitler band wagon. Should we exterminate the breed too??

September 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. It could have been me!

I was semi-attacked by a pit pull just after I found out that I was expecting. A little girl in my neighborhood was riding her bike and let her pit pull dog out to play with her. I was moving my trashcan from the curb when suddenly the pit approached wagging his tail, apparently friendly. Before I knew it, he was aggressively jumping on me trying to hump my leg or rather the whole left side of my body. When I tried to get him to stop by gently holding on to his collar and saying "down", he began trying to nip at me. Long story short, I helped the little girl get the dog back in her house by putting my dog's leash on her her dog. I should have gone in my house and called animal control. The dog got progressively more aggressive each time I tried to get him off of me (he was trying to grip me with his claws around my torso, and it hurt). The little girl was like, "He doesn't like being on a leash. Dogs need to run free" . Unfortunately, this is what a lot of people believe that own this breed of dog. I am thankful I was not harmed beyond a few scratches, but this situation, and others like it, are how people die from pit bulls and other dog breeds that are bred for their aggressive traits. The dog that killed the woman in the article was not neutered; maybe, this situation started with the dog trying to hump the victims leg too. So horrible. Please take care of your animals, spay & neuter- and PLEASE, PLEASE, don't let them roam free!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |