August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Alyssa

According to Darla's Babies r Us Baby Registry, her child was due in December.

August 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. erika

How sad. My fiance wants to get a pit bull and we have a 2 year old. I am going to have him read this story. It goes to show that you never know when they will turn on you. And I hate to point fingers at pit bulls but seriously do you ever read a headline that says "Golden Retriever mauls child?" It's sad that they are getting bad rep.

August 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

Your husband lacks some brain cells. A pit bull in the house with a toddler? Yeah that's a great mix, good luck with that.

August 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • hyperionsix

To your point of being wary of pit bulls I will offer this. Ask your fiance this. We have a two year old child. There are two doors. One holds a Pit Bull the other a Retriever. We MUST leave the child alone in one of the rooms and behind locked door for ten minutes. Now choose.

August 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • dale

the problem with pit bulls is that they are extreme pack animals and consider humans as part of their pack, so there is alpha maneuvering that takes place all the time–little children are considered just another dog vying for position–as long as the child doesn't do anything that is construed by the dog to be trying to change the positioning of the pack, they are fine–problem is, children and even most adults don't know what that move is that might set them off. it's not the dog's "fault" but is a brain flaw that makes them dangerous–no matter how sweet they are most of the time.

August 12, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlandrz

I dont agree, its the owners its not the dogs fault. Its all how you treat your pets and if you hit them etc.
      I think she did something to the dog to make him snap like that.

August 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

If you allow your fiancee to get a pit bull you are an idiot. Just remember that.

August 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Actually, wasn't it a golden retriever that ate that woman's face in France?

August 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

It is all in how you raise the animal. I own 4 pitbulls that have all been raise with my children, my kids can even go up to there food bowl and put there head in there and my dog just back up. I get so tired of people saying bad thing about the breed. Like someone said above you never hear about any other type of dogs biting people, that because they dont put those on the news, doesn't mean it does not happen. I have had a crocker spaniel attack me before. My step mother has own alot of different breeds of dogs and she has be attack many of times by differnt breed (not pits).

August 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

Erika you'll never find a dog more protective and loving of their family including children than pitbulls. I myself have two and very good friends of mine have 6 and very very young children.

Each dog should fit the family like adopting a child and if it makes you uncomfortable than don't get them. It'd be a shame for this breed to no have unconditional love. Personally, I won't get cats or small dogs because they seem vicious. I've actually had my pitbull attacked by a Scottie and he did nothing to react.

Like with people dogs are the product of their enviroments. In this case it sounds like the husband might know a bit more than he's telling..

August 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

My wife is 5 months pregnant and we have 2 pits and a Chihuahua. I feel safer with my wife having a dog in the house that can deter a rapist or thief. One of my pits is 16 and the Chihuahua and the other pit are 1.5 years old. They guard my house and will be trained to guard my baby. The jealous Chihuahua is the one I worry about with the baby.....besides my wife knows where the handgun and pepper spray are! It's all about how you raise the dog... who is the alfa in your house hold? I make sure that I am in mine and my wife as well.

August 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craigsf5

Your fiance is a fool. He and the couple in this story are ignorant people...candidates for, Darwin awards.

August 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmac

I have 5 children & a pit bull. They are wonderful, loving animals but like anything else needs to be raised in the right environment.
      People who want a guard dog, get a Pit Bull or other form of "aggressive" dog and they raise them to be aggressive, then act surprised when the dog attacks someone. People who want to have a "tough dog" do not get Golden Retriever, therefore no Golden Retriever is ever raised to be aggressive.

The fact is, dogs, like people grow up the way they were raised. If someone has a Beware of Dog sign & puts a spiked collar on their dog wants you to be afraid of their dog and raise it to be intimidating.

August 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Here are the temperament statistics: Pit bulls pass the American Temperament Testing Society’s test at a rate similar to, if not higher than, many other medium-to-large, powerful breeds. The American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier pass at rates of 86.4%, 84.2%, and 89.7% respectively. Compare this to Golden Retrievers (84.9%), Great Danes (79.9%), Weimaraners (80.5%), and Standard Poodles (86.3%), to name just four common breeds. They also do extremely well when compared to small breeds: Chihuahuas (71.1%), Pomeranians (75.8%), and Papillions (80.2%). You don't HEAR about it because the media is biased about pit bulls. Golden Retrievers attack too. Two German Shepherds mauled someone in my town this week. It just didn't make national news. Pit Bull attacks (even with similar severity) are reported 280 to 1 vs. Lab attacks (source: National Canine Research Council)

August 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • lesa with an e

its called doing your research and being a responsible dog owner. Dogs arent born to kill...that applies to all dogs by the way.
      Fear mongering doesnt help the situation...

August 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. west

remember, there are nearly six billion people on the entire planet. 20 thousand people die a day.

its not like they were all killed by pitbulls.

stop calling for this breed to be outlawed. its ridiculous.

dogs, all of them, are inherently dangerous. they are predators, evolved from wolves. they will always have a "killer instinct", just as we humans do.

the biggest problem in my mind with dog attacks and the like is that these dogs were "purebred" or as I like to say, inbred. as long as people continue to overbreed dogs, especially large dogs, there will be problems.

August 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

You are an idiot.

August 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy

West... you have no idea what you are talking about... I concur with Patrick.

August 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Patrick and Judy are both idiots. All big dogs can be dangerous and pit bulls are blamed for attacks by Argentine dogos and other similar looking breeds. I have 2 pitbulls and a Chihuahua and the Chihuahua is the one most likely to bite a kid....trust me. The only difference is that the Chihuahua will probably not kill the child but the same is true for any big dog! Bunch of dog hating idiots!

August 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ALI

You are 100% right....!~!!!!

August 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 009

A family should have the breed of dog that the family can handle.
    If you're not strong enough as a personality to master a pit bull, get a Shih-Teze.
    The dog senses quickly WHO YOU ARE.
    A dog looks for a master strong enough to protect it.

August 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • monah

Do dogs accept "masters" or just a "master?" Pit bulls are dangerous but then many other dogs are too. However, if a golden retriever, lab, or any other dog attacked and killed its pregnant "master?" it would be in the news as well. There are more articles about pit bull attacks simply because the breed attacks more than any other breed. I once had a sweet Chow Chow that as a puppy was bitten by someone's pit bull puppy. My chow never bit anyone in the 14 1/2 years I had him but I bet you anything that pit bull puppy bit a lot of other dogs and people.

August 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • lesa with an e

AMEN! Petco doesnt teach a dog leadership...the PERSON teaches the dog leadership.

August 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

It says they had the dog since it was a pup...I smell foul play.

August 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Public Servant

That is exactly the first thing I thought. Unless the dog is rabid, I have a funny feeling that there is more to this attack than meets the eye.

August 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

I agree, my first thought is that it was a set up, which now make me feel bad for the dead dog. I pitbull wouldn't keep attacking, and the fact that the pitbull went after the first responders makes me think it was trying to protect the woman...

August 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kayce

The dog was found standing over the woman's body, not mauling it. I have had pit bulls and will stand by that breed forever. My pit bulls adored children and played well with them. I will agree that some dogs or animals who have inbred DNA may carry higher aggression and are more dangerous than others. However, this dog was not seen attacking this woman. The dog charged the first people on the scene due to protection of his owner laying on the ground, in my opinion. My pit bulls were protective of my family, as they should have been. This needs more investigation. PS, the only dog that has ever bitten me was a Chihuahua and a Dalmation. All breeds are dangerous if not understood and taken well care of.

August 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*KGold

It may have something to do with a smell differential due to her pregnacy. It might have confused/upset the dog.

August 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lola

On this story alone, I commented that there are not bad breeds only bad owners as to why pitbulls have such a bad rep, I also put that there was possible something wrong with this actual dog, if the people around the dog said there had been no aggressive instances with this dog than it's probably something wrong, but since it was a pit and not a lab the actions fall back on the breed and not the dog itself. Why is it that when a women kills a man the woman her self as an individual gets the blame, not women as a whole but if a pitbull attacks someone its the breed that gets the blame not the dog as an individual dog???

August 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WomenOnGuard

Some people are lucky to have harmless pit bulls but most are genetically bread between aggressive dogs, for generations! Pups end up with aggressive genes and no matter how nice you treat them, they could and sometimes will turn aggressively against you!

August 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rick Parker

I have four dogs. Two five year old brothers. One weighs 135#, the other 105#. They are wolf mixes, both neutered. One four year old pit bull that was a rescue. He is also neutered. And finally the pack leader, a three year old basset hound, also neutered. The basset rules the other three and has from the day he arrived. All four dogs defer to our three cats. I have seizures and when I do, it's Marty the pit bull that comes to my side and comforts me.
    Dogs, no matter what breed are animals first, dogs second, examples of their breed third and companions last. As long as people allow them the dignity they deserve to be what they are and are treated in a calm and assertive manner and raised knowing you are their pack leader, you can be assured you have a well balanced animal.
    There is no such thing as a 'bad breed', there is only a bad breed for your lifestyle, your responsibility is to find the right breed for who you are and how you live.

August 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

We have a pit lab mix that is the joy of my life So when i hear stories such as this it breaks my heart with what they did to that pit if it was any other breed of dog they wouldnt have shot it

August 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DizzyG

She-it

August 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. amhache

Sorry, but as first responders to a woman being MAULED to DEATH, and then being charged by the animal responsible for it, YES they would have shot it dead even if it had been a f-ing rabbit you moron! I can't believe you feel sadder for that monster than the poor woman. You are an idiot.

August 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • amhache

This was in response to "gung ho"

August 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick Parker

You would have had a good point. But when you resort to rabid name calling and personal attacks, you negate any positive message you may have had. Sad.

August 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. vicdemone

It's her own fault. Pit bulls are not pets.She was so desperate to be "cool" by pretending a wild animal is a pet that it cost her her life. It's just survival of the fittest. She was too mentally unfit to appreciate that pit bulls are dangerous and are not pets. Good riddance to her and her wild animal.

August 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seaguy

What an awful thing to say! The bottom line is that a pregnant woman and her dog are now dead. A husband and would be father are now grieving that loss. This us a sad thing and assigning blame is not helpful, particularly when none of us were there to actually know what really happened. Next time, have a little compassion and think before you speak.

August 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. amhache

Oh and people need to get a friggin clue and have their pets neutered. Every time I or my dogs have been attacked, or witnessed unprovocked attacks at the dog park, it's been by males that were not fixed.

August 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Excellent point. All dogs should be spayed/neutered... especially males.

August 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. james castro

I got a pit and is nice as could be I'm not saying they did or anything but obviously they were mistreated and raised wrong bc I know plenty of nice pits that where raised right.

August 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mj

If a dog has the potential (physically or mentally) to snap and kill a human, its prob not gonna a great idea to have it as a pet. I dont care what you pit bull lovers say – they are stupid, dangerous dogs that are considered a status symbol to dangerously stupid people.

August 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

I have two pit bulls. One is a therapy dog that helps children, the elderly and soldiers returning from war. I hardly think she is a staus symbol Clearly, with your remarks, you are more that type of person than I am. Many people, like me, and the hundreds of other people I know that have them (yes, I do rescue, and know hundreds) get them to help out a victimized and misunderstood breed that is suffering from and undeserved reputation. It is standing up for the literal underdog, not because we want a "status symbol" quite the opposite, but to stand up against ignorance and fear– like any other social movement.

August 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |