August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Barry G.

Sadly and tragically this does seem to happen frequently with pit bulls, more than any other breed of dog.

That tells me something.

August 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mira

No it happens with every breed of dog its just that the moment a Pitbull attacks someone its all over the news. If a golden retriever, Akita, or chihuahua attacks someone the news rarely cares. Pitbulls are not bad its the people who mistreat them and don't know how to deal with this particular breed of dog that gives them this bad rep.

August 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicky

90% of fatal dog attacks are by dogs that have not been spayed/neutered: There is not a single case of a fatal dog attack by a spayed/neutered pit bull type dog (National Canine Research Council);

81% of dogs involved in bite incidents were not spayed/neutered (Texas 2002 Severe Animal Attack and Bite Surveillance Summary)

August 12, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • timd

I call BS on Mira. Show me one instance of a golden retriever killing somebody.

August 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

Any big dog can kill a defenseless person, I worked at a dog pound, I see all kind of crazy dogs and not just pitbulls, dovermans, chows, golden retrievers, labs, ect.

August 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mira

I was raised with a pitbull and she was a very loving and caring dog, they are very loyal to their owners and can be a great pet in the right owners care that is. I think its how people raise and treat them that gives them this bad rep. Any dog can be dangerous not just a pitbull, if you mistreat a dog, heck if you mistreat a cat! they will eventually retaliate and attack you to protect themselves.
    I believe that there are no bad dogs just bad owners who shouldn't own dogs because they don't know how to deal with them.

Something about the story sounds strange to me especially since they had him since he was a pup. There could have been something wrong with him maybe he had rabies? or had mental problems? since dogs can have mental issues, maybe she did something to him? you never know the true story behind it and I think the pitbull breed as a whole should not be blamed for one dogs actions. He was also not neutered! I mean that's a simple solution to any dogs aggressiveness, I have a male chihuahua who I could not get neutered because he is allergic to anesthesia and he is a terror! that is why I am a avid believer in spaying and neutering your animals.

August 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • MV

Pitbulls are horrible dogs and should all be shot!

August 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Wash

Any animal with teeth is dangerous. If Chihuahua's were any bigger, they'd be considered the most dangerous breed! Besides, this story sounds fishy to begin with. Guy comes home, finds his wife dead in a pool of blood, and blames the dog? Was there blood on the dog? I find it highly unlikely that a dog they've had since a puppy is just going to up and kill their owner.

August 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mira

Exactly what I was thinking it sounds strange to me unless he was mistreated or had mental issues the story itself sounds very odd. And I agree with you about chihuahua's because they are and can be very viscous but no one pays them any mind because they are so tiny and the most they do is bite your foot. I have had both a pitbull and Chihuahua and the chichi would attack the pitbull and anyone who came near me for the matter, and my pit was actually terrified of the Chihuahua. Any animal can be dangerous if they are mistreated.

August 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • mj

Sure – if a jack russell or chihuahua were any bigger they might maul someone to death – BUT THEY'RE NOT. The dog bites you, you kick it across the room. Problem solved. You cant do that with a pitbull.

August 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

Mj is a good example of someone who shouldn't have pets and shows that's he will most likely be attacked if he did... and he's a woman beater

August 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pmk1953

If I came home and saw that my wife had been killed by my pet, you would probably have trouble identifying what TYPE of pet it used to be. If someone's pitbull killed a member of my family, the dog AND the owner will perish.

August 12, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The dog whisperer

If you are a drug dealing thug get a pit bull. If you have a family get a shepard. Just looking into a pit bulls eyes you will see an animal waiting to snap. Not all of them, but ive see the nicest pits snap and it aint pretty.

My neibors dog was attacked by a pit and it took me wishboning its hind legs while my buddy kicked the crap out of it to get it to stop. I told the owner if I see it out again he will be finding the dog dead on his door step.

Pit bulls r a bad breed thanks to all the micheal vicks that breed them to be. Im sorry for this families lose and hope this is a lesson to all.

August 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

The irony of this comment just proves my point. You think Shepherds are family dogs. Well, two Shepherds mauled someone in Austin this week, but it didn't make the National news. Why? Because the National news isn't out to ruin the Shepherd's reputation like "pit bulls." It was at one time though. Everyone hated them– was convinced they were "genetically different," all of the dumb comments on this board from ignorantm uneducated people would have been said about the Shepherd. The dog of "choice" for thug life just changes. While everyone was hating the Shepherd because the Nazis used, them, the Pit Bull was an American hero, gracing our WWII posters, on the Little Rascals, on Buster Brown and RCA ads, the "Labrador retriever of that time." Everyone was terrified of Shepherds. The dog changes overtime, but the myths and fears stay the same, but AMericans are too stupid to remember– they still think its the dog and not the human.

August 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dog Groomer

To those who think that these incidents occur often with pit bulls you are mistaken statistically speaking the Chihuahua causes more dog bites, its called redirected aggression, a dog will see something that makes it bark and sadly if the dog is approached or not called back properly it will bite. I have been bitten more times then I can count but not one of those bites was caused by a bully breed or any typically aggressive dog. It's all about your mindset when you approach smaller dogs are just more likely to react. If you chose to own a pit bull intense training is a must or else you will slip up and with highly dominate breeds you will come off as weak and the dog will turn

August 12, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. content_pessimest

All these Pit Bull apoligists on here are morons.

August 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. James

This article says she was pregnant & "unclear how far along she was". That does not matter whatsoever in my mind, the dog killed 2 people, unknowingly. What an awful news story, amongst alot of them.

August 12, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. I Hate Filty Dogs

I call BS on, no bad dogs just owners. Pits are a breed to KILL!!! They are dangerous dogs and should be put down. I love all animals!!! I just don't understand how this lady didn't kill the filthy mutt with her bare hands??? I've had to do that myself and it hurt me inside to kill an animal than my time in the ARMY. A human CAN KILL a pit with there bare hands and I'm living proof!!! There vicious dogs with NO PLACE IN SOCIETY, unless your a drug dealer.

August 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dmac

Your statement is as ignorant as racism. Are certain ethnicities of people more dangerous than others or are children raised by bad bad more likely to grow up to be bad people?

I suppose you are then a proponent of genocide as well?

August 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Randt

Happy the dogs shot dead I wish I could have killed her. hopefully my friends will kill there pit bull after they read this.

August 12, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. timd

If a pitbull attacked my family I would kill it without question and then I would seriously consider harming the owner. Let's face it, the types of folks typically attracted to these dogs are the dumb@ass thuggish types who let their pants sag and don't tie their shoes are more interesting in projecting an intimidating posture than doing anything remotely constructive with their lives. Bunch a flat out d!cks is what they are.

August 12, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. atlantian

OMG!!! I JUST LOVE DOGS!!! especially with mashed potatoes and gravy. mmmmm

August 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Name*jen

Great another incident that hurts my pit bull's reputation!

August 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Eastvillage

Pitbulls are just flat out dangerous. In spite of the good ones.

August 12, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dddddd

They are known to have bad tempers.So why the hell have one. And don't tell me you have one and it would never do this ,read the the it says the same they never had a problem but guess what it happened.

August 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |