August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. brad

i like pitbulls, they are quiet, gentle, intelligent and loyal. but, i've seen a lot of young families wanting to adopt them from our shelter when the alpha handler is not regularly at home and they have a 1 or 2 year old already and another on the way. there is a time and place for a pit bulls and also a time and place for a miniture poodle. unfortunately these folks found out the hard way.

August 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

mmm. ok. only buff single unemployed dudes can own pit bulls. so that leaves about 99% of the population ineligible to own one or vulnerable to a pit bull mauling. so why is it that we don't just let this breed die out by neutering and spaying all existing pit bulls?

August 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • humberto

Your sheepdogs make the best family pets .

August 12, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

There is never a time or place for these dangerous dogs. They bite, that s what they do. It is obvious. Yes small dogs bite to, but poddles usually don't kill people.

August 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • humberto

Condolenses to Mr. G Napora, we are very saddened to hear of your loss.

August 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AnimalLover

Having owned several pitbulls, other large breeds, & small breeds over the past 30 years I can honestly say that I nor has anyone close to me been bitten by a Pitbull!!!! However, I have been bitten numerous times by small breeds !!!! AND I have been bitten breaking up dog fights....but I have sense enough NOT to attempt to break up a dog fight by myself between powerful breeds!!!! Even Cesar Milan knows better!!!! ANY dog will bite you during a dog fight & can attack you because it can think you are attacking it because it was being attacked when you came along to intervene!!! Sadly, the dog & lady were both victims.

August 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • CommonSense

Lets see, 10 bites from an ankle biter or 10 bites from a viscious large breed who is nothing but muscle and teeth...hmmmmm decisions decisions....

August 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nakpme*

What are u, an idiot? Do u think this is the first sorry about those blood thirsty UGLY dogs? Pit bulls should ALL be put to death. That is a breed worthy of extinction.

August 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

you're such an animal lover, you wish to keep around a breed that would kill other less dangerous dogs (obviously, if a person cannot intervene in a dog fight with a dog capable of killing a person, it would likely kill the other dog - not that i believe that is what happened here).

August 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mark Yelka

Ugly dogs that inspire fear. What kind of person would want such a creature? Control freaks, social misfits, thugs, and people living delusional lives. Very few people want neighbors that have pit bulls.

August 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

You're an idiot

August 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Yelka

Yes, that's exactly what many people say to pit bull owners. Nor just a few people. Whole communities. Laws.

August 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I own 2 and my neighbors love them both, they are always outside with the kids. Properly trained pits are great dogs, none if my neighbors have had any complaints for over 10 years now

August 12, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

See how Nick replied to your post, Mark? Looks like you nailed it–thug, misfit, control freak, and delusional. Sounds a lot like the description of somebody who would answer a post by saying, "Idiot."

August 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Yelka

A safe dog is one that despite bad handling or training does not cause harm. All dogs have the potential to cause harm, but pit bulls have ever so much more potential. Performing well under ideal conditions is to be expected. What matters is performing well under bad conditions. Pit bulls get a failing grade.

August 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steph

It's really sad and frustrating to read some of the idiotic and hateful posts here. Dogs are meant to be controlled, if they are babied like so many of you point out, they will think they are the master of the house. If they think that, they will be aggressive and dominate others in it. Whether this is by biting, peeing, growling or whatnot it doesn't matter. Unfortunately for pitbulls, they have a stronger jaw and neck than any other breed, which means their bite can be much more damaging. Also, their jaws lock, so they can't always let go. Dogs are not mean by nature. They may be territorial,which would esplain several of the attacks people are referencing. But all the pits I've known have been sweet dogs. But their owners treated them like dogs, and put them in their place. My rott wouldn't hurt a fly. He was attacked by a little mutt, and instead of killing it, he pinned the thing to the ground with his mouth, without biting it. Left it scared and shaking on the sidewalk. Don't lump all dogs of a breed together. Pitts can be aggressive, yes. But that doesn't mean they should be banned.

August 12, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

I agree with most of what you said... except for the locking jaw. Pitbulls do not have locking jaws. They have strong jaws and they are relentless when they attack. But their jaws do not "lock."

August 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

No dog's jaws "lock". Pitbull jaws do not "lock". They simply have an enormous muscle base for their bite

August 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MW

Don't know if its been mentioned but the breed known as the #1 most likely to bite its owner are the spaniels. They suffer from a genetic condition called "rage syndrome" And pit bulls were bre+o fight dogs so they will naturally be dog aggressive, they were not bred to hurt or kill people, its been taught to them and unfortunately is now part of their temperment.

August 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Misjoh

Not true. They were bred as bull baiters, like boxers. And they used to be the symbol of our nation and known as great family dogs until the past few decades. It's due to gangs using them to fight that started this reputation. It seems that she was most likely breaking up a dog fight and got attacked by the more aggressive dog. The dogs had a history if fighting so they should have been separated way before this tradgedy.

August 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Me

Good point AnimalLover... She may have been trying to break up a fight between the two dogs. I wonder why this dog wasn't neutered...

August 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

My guess is that it wasn't neutered because the owner had some sense of pity that he didn't want the dog to have that happen to him. Dog that are not neutered are much more aggressive than those who are.

August 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • humberto

Your better off putting the mutt down.

August 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beddy0524

I currently own an Am Staff and an Am Staff / Great Dane mix. I also have two cats and often have smaller dogs in my home visiting. If these dogs are raised and trained properly, they are no diffetent than any other dogs. I had a small Poodle / Chi mix when I adopted my first Am Staff, and the Am Staff respected the little 11 lb poodle as we laid boundaries and respect. However, a neighbors un-socialzed pit attacked my poodle one day and wanted to kill it...i put my hands in her mouth to get her to release my little pup, and didn't bite me. She was a pit that loved people, but hated other dogs. Her fault? No, her owners who under fed and confined her to a 5 x 8 "yard" and never took time and care to train and exercise her were at fault. Some may have a predisposition towards violence due to over / inbreeding, but most are gentle with children, other animals and adults. This is a tragedy, but I hope this doesn't start the "ban the breed" nonsense.

August 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ames

People who continue to think Pitbulls are the problem are not worth responding to...I'll always love Pitbulls but hate what man has done to them.

August 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beddy0524

Amen!

August 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Agreed

August 12, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

Yes, it's a shame what man has done to this breed, but there's no going back now. They should all be neutered at birth and the breed allowed to become extinct.

August 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. js

It would be much better to get bit by the vicious small violent dogs then a pitbull? I would take 1000 small dogs attacking over a pitpull. I guess certain people don't understand little violent dogs rarely cause death.

August 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

A little dog could not kill an adult, but they can cause some serious damage, even death, to an infant or toddler. I adopted a dachshund from a shelter I volunteered at who was returned several times due to his aggression. I was warned about certain situations to be careful of, but I found out about others on my own the hard way! This dog had been a stray, so he guarded everything. He was also mistreated, so he was fearful and defensive. Let me tell you, this dog could have easily torn an infant or toddler to pieces. Over time and with some good, consistent, positive training, he has stopped biting and become quite the little love bug. But I still would never trust him with a small child.

August 12, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Don

If my neighbor had a pit bull, the police wouldn't have to worry about shooting. I would. Go ahead and jump all over me–don't care. If my neighbor brought home a pit bull, it wouldn't last a week. And this is why. Sure, poodles nip at you–might even bite you. But a poodle's not solid muscle with a 400 psi jaw and it hasn't been bred to kill. Pit bulls should be outlawed and the breed made extinct.

August 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beddy0524

Do you know how many put bulls are service dogs to disabled people? And how many go to hospitals as therapy dogsto help patients rebound quicker? My dogs are the ones that can approach any dog – stray, smaller and bigger! Mine have never been in a fight with an animal or human...please don't blame the breed for the misdeeds of irresponsible owners.

August 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nakpme*

I absolutely agree with your post!! Make these blood thirsty, ugly creatures a thing of the past already.

August 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CSR

Read the article:

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they’d back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Doesn't sound like these were the 'bad' owners many of you proclaim you are not. Perhaps the breed itself IS the issue.

August 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beddy0524

If the dog was not neutered, that is irresponsible, not just for temperament reasons, but health and reproductive as well.

August 12, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ytumamatambien

I personally have not been around that many pits but I would not trust them. Pitbulls have bad reputations for being aggressive I would not have one around my children. The story clearly stated this couple had the dog since it was a pup and it still turned on her and killed her and her unborn child. I hope the husband comes out of it ok.

August 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. M Go Blue

Seriously people ! Can't you read! These people had these dogs for a while and they had no problems!!! This just goes to show you this breed of dog can turn on you in an instant! Do Not Own One!

August 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chuck

Pitbulls should be exterminated. End of discussion

August 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dunracin

This shouldn't even be news. Idiots with instinctive killer animals are only asking for trouble and these people had their time bomb go off.

August 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |