August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. Kira

Pitbulls are dangerous dogs! My husband's uncle use to own one till she turned on him and almost bit him. They had her since she was a baby and they treated her great however, she still went crazy! I have a wolf hybrid and I would rather take my chances with a dog mixed with a wolf than a pitbull! These dogs should be outlawed. They are too dangerous and they snap for no reason.

August 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

The same could be said about your dog. Wolf hybrids have been known to attack and kill children, turn on their owners. I find it ironic that you are attacking the pitbull breed.

August 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kira

@Me.. If you your research like I did before I even thought about getting a wolf hybrid the attacks on children or adultswere by wolf hybrids that were always chained up and not being socalized with other animals or humans. My wolf hybrid is 115lbs and is a liitle bit over 1 and since he came home we have socalized him and NEVER put him on a chain. He is always playing with my children and every once in a while my cat even shows him who is boss. He is timid just like a wolf but loveable like a dog. He is 12% german shephard so he is very protective of his pack( my family) So it's not ironic that I "attack" pitbulls because I don't hear in the news that a wolf hybrid brutally killed it's owner as often as I hear pitbulls kill their owners

August 12, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@kira, I think the fact that Wolf Hybrids are a lot more rare would play in to the fact you do not hear of them attacking as often as Pitbulls. Pitbulls are over bred, used for crime, and are often sought after by people who should not even own fish. Wolf Hybrid are by no means safe to own and In my opinion should not be owned by a novice dog handler.

August 12, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Misjoh

You don't hear about wolf-hybrid attacks on the news because they are not a popular breed. Wolf- hybrid attacks usually result in the victum actually being eaten. Thankfully, wild animal hybrids are not as popular as they once were or we would see more stories on them. A pitbull is a dog breed that has been around since the 1500s. A wolf-hybird is a new thing; they are not domesticated making them more unpredictable. Fact: the breeds with the most attacks on humans changes due to popularity of the breeds. Pitbulls only get the headlines because it creates such a stir. They are not the only breed that attacks and kills; they are just the one that gets the most readers.

August 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cains

Dogs deserve no better than chain. Chain them. Time to put them chained in the back yard. That's horrible story and I feel sad about the death of the women.

August 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

What a fantastic idea you have! You've not notices that tools do chain their pits in the back yard. It is to build up their neck muscles for fights. A dog is a social animal. Leaving it chained and unsocialized is also how dog fighters get them to aggresse.

Go back to playing with guinea pigs. You're not ready for the Big Folk Discussions.

August 12, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MasonthegreatGreatDane

This is just MY opinion and I do not claim it to be fact but I think most bites/attacks come from human error. Most people have no clue how to act around dogs. We do not speak each others language as we are different species. Some of the things we think are endearing are down right insulting to a dog. For example, we hug and kiss but to wrap and arm around a dog in their language is rude and dominating. You can not kiss a dog with out being close to it's face and to get in a dog's face means to challenge. I am guilty of all of those things and my 130lb Great Dane tolerates it gracefully but do not think for a second I would allow a stranger to do the same. To many people own dogs that should not. People who don't have proper fencing, food, training resources, or knowledge in general. I live in a beautiful neighborhood and my neighbors think it's ok to open their doors and let their dogs run free in the subdivision. I am the only person who leash walks and I have to at odd times or my dog is being harassed by every dog around. It's stuff like this that can go wrong and get people hurt. I treat my dog like a baby because he is my baby. I also show him respect and I get the same in return. He has been neutered, I keep him healthy, fed, brushed, and exercised. He lives inside with my family as he is apart of the family. I have spent hundreds training him. I will still never trust him completely because after all he is still a dog. I have an 8 foot tall privacy fence that separates me from my neighbor. They have a 3 year old and I will not be taking any chances. I also took an extra 500,000 liability policy on my home owners insurance. My point is no matter what the breed you have to be responsible. If you can not provide or do the things mentioned you need not have an animal. If you can not contain it, give it vet care, feed it, train it, or you refuse to go out of your way to learn anything about the species you want to live with then just leave the cute puppy where you found it. I also think that parents should teach their children dog safety. I can not count how many times children charge at us full speed on the street to get to my dog. They do not know my dog or me. We could both be dangerous. Speak to your children on how to approach, pet, and act around animals. You will always have dogs who snap for no reason at all. They can have mental illness just like any other species. You can not expect anything different from a dog than you can a person. We kill one another far more than they kill us. We talk all this mess about treating them like dogs and not babies but ask them to tolerate more than we tolerate ourselves! We expect them to behave better than we do and at all times! It's kind of funny. Oh and for those of you who say that a Chihuahua can not kill someone look up dog bite statistics. A couple years back a woman was bit on the ankle by a Chihuahua and did not seek medical attention. The bite became infected and she had to have her leg amputated. She didn't die though.....

August 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Well said!!

August 12, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRCLMTY

"I can not count how many times children charge at us full speed on the street to get to my dog. They do not know my dog or me. We could both be dangerous?"

You can not be serious! You really expect each and every child to be properly trained on how to approach you, at the penalty of being severely injured? This is madness. And pit bull lovers say it's the owners, not the dog – so the safety of our children depends on each and every pit bull being correctly raised? More madness!

August 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. yep

Every single specimen of that breed should be eliminated from the face of the Earth!

August 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

Let's try somethign more humaine. Let's try Breeder Responsibility. Buy only from breeders who breed out the aggression, not breed in the aggression. you get what you shoped for.

August 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • overreactor

Can we include you in that as well? So as not to waste the equipment rental

August 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • pulsars

Brenda, I think you mean humane. I don't think you're ready for "Big Folk Discussions" either, go back to school.

August 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • dru

Another ignorant statement by an obviously mis informed person. I have had pit bulls all of my life. I currently own 2 2 year old intact males. I have a 4 year old daughter they absolutely adore, a 13 year old son with whom they also respond to commands. They have gone through 3 levels of obedience training, are socialized several times weekly and are very submissive. They are being bred with females who will go through the same things so as to breed out any aggression, although they have wonderful temperaments. There are many more attacks on people by other breeds, that do end in death. Michigan: Three reproductively intact Australian shepherd mix dogs attacked and killed a 41-year-old man in his small trailer/camper, located on the property of the person who owned the dogs. The owner of the dogs, an elderly person, was a friend of the victim, and at the time of the incident was in hospital. News reports state that the victim received as many as 200 puncture wounds, covering most of his body. Neighbors say the dogs were very aggressive, and the dogs also attacked two friends who went to visit the victim, only to discover his mutilated body inside the camper. As this story and many others not involving pit bulls will show.

August 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

@ pulsars
      I just love how people ignore a valid point because of a minor spelling error to somehow make themselves appear to be smarter. Were all on a flippin blog, not editing a dictionary. Unless you have something to say directly related to this news article, don't bother posting.

p.s. I realize this post isn't directly related to the news article

August 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • TS

This pregnant woman most probably also loved her pits just a half second before they attacked her. I am sure the love was flowing out of her while that pit was continuing to bite at her preganant belly and face, can you imagine the love oozing out of that womans face for her pit, after all he was raised by her with love and had never atatcked her before.

all you morons claiming how your pit sleeps with your baby, talk to me after the attack happens.

August 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mark Yelka

Performing well under ideal conditions is to be expected. What matters is performing well under bad conditions. Reality is the latter. And, pit bulls perform badly... hence, their reputation.

August 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

Very true and spoken with great sense.

August 12, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beddy0524

When my little dog was attacked, my Am Staff did nothing...just stood there. With a dog fight and my screaming, I'd say she behaved beautifully under extremely bad conditions. Most people couldn't have remained that calm....i didn't! Until you've experienced it, you can't say what reality is.

August 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brenda

All dogs are what we make of them. Remember when collies were going blind? And Dobermans were suffering brain damage because we were breeding down their skull size? That didn't go well for them.

All dogs are what we make of them. Unfortunately, now is not the time to own this breed–not until the "breeders" (again) begin training out the aggression instead of breeding it in.

August 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. velocitie

The people who own pit bulls seem to have an issue with boundaries with regard to these animals. Ask these people whether they would have a shark or a bengal tiger as a pet, and it's highly likely they's say "no." Yet for some reason these same people have difficulty clearly discerning between "safe" and "dangerous" with regard to this species of canine. And it's ok if these people have this problem with perception, but I draw the line with where my property begins (and public property is my property too: I pay taxes). These creatures' freedom to randomly and instinctively kill stops where my and my sons'faces begin, regardless of whether pit bull owners understand or accept these legal boundaries.

August 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MasonthegreatGreatDane

I would like to know why this guy was 2 years old and still intact.

August 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sid

Come on, a dog is an animal n a animal is an animaj however we try to domesticate it the animal qualities remain. Its sad that this lady had to pay with her life.

August 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

There's all kinds of breeds of dogs that a person could own. Same thing goes for cats. Not too many people would want to own a Panther, for obvious reasons. I personally think being able to tame a panther for a house pet would be awesome. But I couldn't count on it to not attack me or anyone else if it somehow got p'd off. Pitbulls and Rotties are notorious for sudden outbursts, as cool as they are, they're better left to live in the wild with the wolves.

August 12, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kira

Why should they be in the "wild" with the wolves..? They should be exterminated! They were breed to kill, it's in their blood.

August 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Me

Pit Bulls are dangerous, period. They are cute and all, but they are unpredictable and aggressive, not a good combination. I wish they were more stable dogs, but the hard truth is NO. SORRY!

August 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rachel

Humans kill more humans a year than dogs ever will so I say we exterminate and ban all humans. That'll top the killings. By the way idiots, the human race doesn't own the planet and the sooner you get off your high horse and realize that the better off we will all be. So wipe your tears and put on your emotional big boy pants and stfu.

August 12, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

more people need to go to prison for real like when marjorie knoller went to the slammer for fifteen to life for her presa canario's attack. if you have a pit bull, though, i hope you won't end up in prison because i hope it will just maul you to death instead of some poor innocent child or a neighbor.

August 13, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. tracy

I am pure and simple an animal lover. I have a GSD, and a pug, I am very lucky that both seem to be a good dog. However my moms wiener dog almost severed a tendon in my hand,no reason, he was not fixed at that time. He is now and well still is not trust worthy. I had a well trained pit mix, that being the problem, she was a pound puppy mix and had never shown aggression to anyone until a little girl she didn't like walked in my house and lunged at her and by chance I was able to grab her harness. She lunged at one more person and that was my little girl, this was all in a two week period. I put her down two days later. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss my dog, but I did the right thing, oh she was spayed, but it was the right thing to do. It is not always the owner or how the owner raises the dog, mine are all well socialized and get lots of play time with me and other dogs. Some times a dog just snaps. Will I ever have another pit mix or even a pit? No, do I feel pits (as history shows)are prone to be more likely to snap? Yes. But my point is just that sometimes a dog just snaps. I also read somewhere that mix breed focusing on mixed bully dogs tend to have more issues as their brain chemistry is off. Just a thougt and I have no prof. It is always a shame to hear of a death human or animal.

August 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pittie lover

hi, i own a couple pitbulls, they both interact with my children and niece no problems at all.

Oh wait... i put them thru proper obediance training and had the male neutered and oh my god i actually take them out to socialize with other people and dogs....

Now if you walk on my property uninvited will they rip your head off? yes but so will my border collie.... if we are outside the house will they? nope they will let anyone pet them, unless you try to touch my kids they dont allow that.

August 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dog owner

you say that your cute dogs will rip someone's head off if they go in your yard? YES you say? this is not a cute sign of protection, it is aggression – this is how "mean" dogs act. don't be fooled. I also have a pit, and NO he would not hurt you if you (or your child) shows up in my yard. You'd be lucky if he'd notice. He does not see people as a threat no matter where they stand. If you knock on my door at 3 am – he will bark, but he won't even approach the door! he comes in my bedroom to wake me up. It's not his job to protect me, he's my pet, and that is how he acts. keep an eye on your dogs – they sound like they could bite someone.

August 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Think b4 commenting

Dogs are dogs. Someone mentioned "it is how they are raised". Perhaps acknowledging that these animals have a brain and can live relatively independent of man would be a good first step towards understanding that we, as humans, like to believe we control every outcome but we are really quite overconfident in this belief. Having a pitbull as a pet is about as smart as having a monkey for a pet. Sure, they are cute. Sure, they can be trained. And sure, they can kill.

How often do you read "family's pet terrier kills wife/mother"?

Just a few words on fending off a dog attack, never turn your back, keep fists closed and arms close, get the head under control as quickly as possible, pin the sholders and crush the throat to kill. Don't panic! If you are bit, keep your objective in focus, control, pin and crush. If you have a gun, this would be the time to use it. The same is true if you have a knife (which you should have at the very least...a pocket knife...or you are not serious about being prepared).

August 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@thinkb4, "it is how they are raised". Perhaps acknowledging that these animals have a brain and can live relatively independent of man" No they really can not. I am not sure if your have a dog but I know mine would starve to death and die with out me. I do not feel I control everything but there is a BIG difference than the domesticated dog and wolves. I have seen people drop hunting dogs on my grandfathers land. They are left to fend for themselves and do you know what happens? They do not eat the very things they hunt and they starve to death. My Dane caught a ground hog and played it to death. I would not have a Pitbull myself as I do not feel I could handle their needs but we made them as a breed. They were designed by man as a domesticated dog. I think there are many reason they are in these type of situations more often than others.

August 12, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

To Think b4 commenting, MasonthegreatGreatDane makes a great point. And by the way, a pitbull is a "terrirer." The full name of the breed is Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier... If you've ever seen a dog show, pits are in the "terrier" group. Perhaps you wanted to say "family's pet beagle" or "family's pet maltese."

August 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |