August 12th, 2011

Police 'put that dog down' after it kills pregnant California woman

Greg Napora of Pacifica, California, came home to a nightmare Thursday: His pregnant, lifeless wife lying on the ground, her face and torso injured from dozens of bites and one of the family pit bulls standing over her, according to CNN affiliates.

Though police say Darla Napora, 32, was pregnant, it's unclear how far along she was. Authorities responded to the suburban San Francisco home after receiving a call from the husband.

"When they arrived, they found the victim laying in her own front living room. She was not breathing, unresponsive and had major trauma to her upper body," Pacifica Police Capt. Dave Bertini told CNN affiliate KGO. "The husband stated that when he got home, at about noon, he found his wife with their pit bull hovering over her."

Kathy Carlson, 63, lives across the street from the white, single-story home where the attack occurred. She told the San Francisco Chronicle that Greg Napora was outside and visibly distraught when police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," Carlson told the paper. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

According to CNN affiliate KTVU, first responders tried to administer CPR to Darla Napora when the blood-covered 2-year-old male dog charged them. They shot the animal.

"The last thing we wanted to happen was for the dog to get out and start attacking bystanders or be loose in the neighborhood," Bertini told KGO. "So as soon as the dog got out of the backyard, the decision was immediately made to put that dog down, and that's why the dog was shot three times by two officers on scene."

The couple had had the dog since it was a pup. The Naporas owned another pit bull, a spayed 6-year-old, which is not believed to have been involved in the attack, police said. As a precaution, it was taken to Peninsula Humane Society for an examination.

Though San Francisco has a law that requires city residents to spay or neuter their pit bulls, Pacifica has no similar law, according to the Chronicle. The 2-year-old dog that mauled Darla Napora had not been neutered, police told local media.

Neighbors told the two television stations that the dogs appeared normal and well behaved in the past. A next-door neighbor told KTVU that the dogs would bark at each other, but when Darla Napora called them, they'd back down. They responded well to her, the neighbor said.

Another neighbor, Tom Lujan, told the station he thinks pit bulls are dangerous.

“I wouldn't have one, and I wouldn't want my family around one,” he said.

There have been no problems reported at the Napora household and no reason to expect the dog to attack someone, police said. Police said there were no prior problems at the Napora household, and no reason to expect the dog would attack.

An autopsy for Darla Napora and a necropsy for the pit bull are slated for Friday.

"Eventually we're going to find out if there's anything physically or medically wrong with the dog that may have caused this attack," Bertini told KGO. "We have already done an extensive interview with the husband, and there are follow up questions that we may ask in the future."

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • California • U.S.
soundoff (1,232 Responses)
  1. megan

I have a rottie who is 9 months old and is a very friendly pup. I took her to the vet the other day and she was bit in the face by a female pitt in the waiting room after the owner assured me she was so kind. The barking, snarling and growling led me to believe otherwise so I sat across the room and on the way out the pitt bit my rottie in the face for no reason. My dog did nothing but sit and smell the floor around her. Everyone says rotties are bad, and some can be, but it was the pitt who was misbehaved in this instance. Made me question how I feel about that breed.

August 12, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ytuque

Many dogs owners are like parents who think their kids are sweet when in fact they're feral little monsters.

August 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ytuque

Anyone who thinks pitbulls are the same as most other breeds has very little understanding of biology with respect to genetics. What do you think Michael Vick and those like him were doing? They were fighting dogs and breeding the strongest and most violent ones to produce even stronger more violent dogs. They have been very successful!

It's not a case of the woman did something wrong, or dogs will be dogs. American Pitbulls are dangerous since they have been bred for extreme violence for over 100 years.

August 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beddy0524

Yes, Vick did that. And all but two of those dogs were rehabilitated. A couple are therapy dogs.

August 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tracy

I am a german shepherd owner and lover, I have ever had a better dog, my dad had GSD his whole life. All were good dogs trained and treated well, and one of his well trained GSD turned mean and territorial, he only liked my grand father. There is not a lot of GSD dog attacks but they do happen and they are deadly! As with any dog that gets a hair up its a** and attacks. All that can be done is keep a close eye on them and treat them right. Oh NEVER keep your dog chained in the back yard! Would you enjoy and stay happy chained in a back yard?

August 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@tracy, GSD's are on the CDC's "dangerous dog list" right along with pitbulls and my best friend the Great Dane. German Shepherds are known for dementia in old age. They often get temperamental and senile in their old age. Like a person with Alzheimer's the can act out violently. When I worked at an animal clinic we had a lot of GSD's on doggy Prosac.

August 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mia in California

I've owned two pitbulls and I had no problems. I think that one has to look at the parents of the pups and learn the history to see if it had any fighters. Mine didn't. Yet and still it pays to be careful. My last pit I had I got at 7 weeks, he was sweet and playful. At 13 months he was poisoned by a neighbor who threw the poisoned food in the back yard.

August 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jimmyd

Here we go again... Someone is about to say ." it's nit the dog, it's the owner" well, it WAS the dog and not the owner that killed her. I've spent 40 years on an ambulance and every single bad bite and every single bite fatality I've seen since June 1991 has been s pit bull . Every single one. I've killed two if them on scene. One with a fire axe and one with a halligan bar (google " halligan bar" to see a pic of one.....

August 12, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gary

I have a 2 1/2 year old pit and she is the sweetest dog on the planet. She loves to give everyone kisses and to her a stranger is just a friend she hasn't met. In fact, whenever other dogs, especially small ones, act aggressive towards her she gets scared and runs to me. There is not a mean bone in her body and I attribute her great temperament to all the love my wife and I show her and the fact that we are never aggressive with her. Stories like this give the breed a bad name; all breeds bite people everyday and people die every year from attacks from many breeds but only pit attacks get reported.

August 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lee

As an insurance adjuster I will say all breeds have been known to bite. However ~ the majority of claims by a long shot come from pitt bulls. Can I make that any more clear? They can not and should not be trusted 100%.

August 12, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • kyle

i don't doubt that but there are still more pitt bulls that attack humans than any other dog. its not even close.. they should not be pets. there were two in my neighborhood that got loose, they attacked two people and killed another dog.. we have other dogs that have been loose but none of them attacked or did any harm.

August 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jimmyd

Whoops should be "20 years" not "40 years"

August 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bill groce

pit bulls rotts dobermens are good dogs in their place witch is gaurding what makes them good Junk yard dogs" is if something is not right they will nutralize it that is their job and they are very good at it i would not recomend them as pets im sorry but that is the way it is i train service dogs and would not train a dog of these breeds as a service dog because they are gaurd dogs i also would not train a chihuahua to be a gaurd dog or a saint bernard tobe a lap dog

August 12, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • colin

I have to disagree. I own two doberman pinschers and they are the best dogs I've ever had. My male is a rescue and was so violent when they found him they were going to put him down. We decided to adopt him and through some professional training and a lot of love and care, he is the most loyal and obedient dog I've ever owned. With owning a dog of this nature, it takes a lot of time and a strong owner. Unfortunately a lot of people get dogs before they research what it takes to train and obtain control.

August 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@bill, Will you please explain to me why my Great Dane thinks he's a "lap dog"?

August 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kyle

pitt bulls are one of if not the most dangerous dogs. they are known to be friendly but can turn in an instant and kill without any warning. anyone who thinks otherwise is oblivious to the truth. not all pitt bulls are dangerous but as a whole they have considerably more attacks on people and other pets than any other breed of dog.

August 12, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Think b4 commenting

Never run across a pack of feral dogs before have you? I have.

August 12, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • MasonthegreatGreatDane

@thinkb4 Yes I am familiar with both as I have worked in the largest animal clinic in Louisville, Ky. My point was that Pitbulls are man made. They are not a pack of feral dogs. Feral dogs come from breeding as do domesticated ones. It's nature/nurture. Feral dogs are dogs that have been left to fend for themselves for longer than a week or two. Dogs get dumped all the time. Some will even get together and form a pack. The will become a bunch of trouble makers and dumpster/trash can divers but they will not hunt nor will they be in the same category as a feral dog. Feral dogs have been feral for generations. It does not happen over night.

August 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

This tripe is the kind of front-page news I'd expect from Fox, not a respectable network like CNN. My mother has had 12 pitbulls since I was born and not a single one has given us problems. We had to put one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known because we lived in a crowded neighborhood and were not sure if he was simply skiddish or if he would bite. Why not just "DOG kills owner?" Nah, it's gotta be that pit bulls are ruthless killing machines.

You'll notice the people who speak so poorly of pit bulls -have never owned one.- Yes, they are aggressive dogs by nature, but they're also playful and lovable. I wouldn't leave a pregnant woman alone with even a chihuahua–they're FAR more aggressive than any pit, so you know.

And this will be the end of it. This is just another nail in the coffin for a very old, very pure breed of dog. But keep spreading the venom–I'm sure if it was a breed of dog you'd been familiar with all your life, you'd be just fine with this. Thanks CNN!

August 12, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • alice

In your response to a chihuahua being more aggressive than a pit bull. How ridiculous! A dog that small could not kill if he tried!! Pits have the aggression, and the POWER to kill! You will hear more of this as these dogs are all over the shelters...ready to be adopted by a normal family who doesn't have the capacity to train or control them. They are a dangerous breed and that's all there is to it!

August 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Raul

Ummm...why would anyone ever want a pitbull?? This is a perfect example of a good pit from a good family going "pitbull"...in other words...it acted on it's instinct. I can't feel sorry for anyone that has a pitbull if tragedy strikes...should have bought a lab.

August 12, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tracy

On the wolf/GSD, I a torn, my grandmother had two. Timber wolf and GSD, the male was kind and sweet, the female wanted to be pack leader. I didn't trust either one. Though the male would have jumped in front of a car for me, I know that if the female attacked the male would have jumped in for the meal to. It is my feeling I have little proof, but again I feel that a wolf is not a domesticated animal, and the GSD has only been around a little over 100yrs, and was a mix of wolf and herding dogs. It is to soon and probably a bad Idea to mix such a new breed with anything, not with bully dogs and not with wolf, it is to many aggressive dogs in one. Be watchful of your beautiful wolf dog, and be sure to stay on top of the alpha issues.

August 12, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. p1tey1

This is very sad. But I wish the media would have waited for the results of this poor woman's autopsy before they start whipping people into a frenzy about pit bulls! We don't know what killed her yet!

August 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. haterr

Any dog starts off friendly. Whatever HUMANS do to said dog, is what sparks this behavior. Assuming, it was the pit bull that killed the woman.

August 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listenup

It's simple statistics. Pitbulls attack more than other breeds. Way more. It's not a coincidence or some strange conspiracy that these stories end up in the news. Nobody "has it out" for a breed of dog. They are more violent, and strong enough to do major damage when they attack – so it's news. Simple. A hundred stories about great sweet pitbulls doesn't change the statistics. They are deadly, unpredictable animals roaming our streets where our kids play. Smart?

August 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |