Saving the small town post office
The post office in Weston, Georgia, is one of many that the U.S. Postal Service is considering closing to cut costs.
August 12th, 2011

Saving the small town post office

The U.S. Postal Service has published a list of more than 3,000 post offices it will consider closing to cut costs. Many of these closures would take place in small towns like Weston and Parrott, Georgia - neighboring communities about three hours southwest of Atlanta.

Residents of Parrott, a town of 158 people, have started a petition to save their post office. They cite a variety of reasons for wanting to keep it, including security, convenience and the identity the institution provides.

People want to know how they'll get their mail, stamps, packages, medicine and social security checks.

The postal service stands to lose $9 billion this year. Factors like a large drop in mail volume in recent years and the national economic downturn require tough steps to make the agency solvent, it says. However, it plans to listen to the concerns of people affected by closures at a series of public meetings set to begin in September.

Listen to the full story here:

Listen to more CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe
to podcasts here.

Post by:
Filed under: Georgia • U.S. Postal Service
  1. Christopher Dycha

As our society "advances" I am sure these pieces of Americana will slowly disappear and I will miss them. When we vacation and walk the shops in smaller communities, these buildings always add charm and character much like a covered bridge over a country stream or a single room school house. We must proceed forward but there must be a delicate balance as well. I've seen these sort of places that lasted decades be replaced with modern businesses that changed hands several times within a short span. From a Subway to a wireless phone outfit to a taco shop, etc. Constantly having a "For Lease" sign posted in front. Christopher Dycha

August 13, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Ya know if we was to rid ourselves of the small town post offices we will lose that part of americana forever Just think we have this town in michigan thats name is Hell and the first thiing visitors do is get post cards and mail them to family and friends Now tell me can you do that with e mail

August 13, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Måd Råp3r

Breakdown of the mail I receive:.

95%-junk mail
    4%-bills
    1%-holiday cards

While I agree about the loss of Americana the USPS is hemmorhaging money at a ludicrous rate and if something isn't done it will vanish entirely.

August 13, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Katy Hill

Lucky you! A quarter of the mail I receive belongs to someone else and mine has "delivered to the wrong address" written on it quite often.

August 13, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Pink Pather

Hey may I have your address , I have some holiday cards I wanta get rid of! LOLOLOLO

August 13, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. jim

@Josh Taylor: then get off already. Church's empty? Sounds great to me.

August 13, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Josh Taylor

@Jim what about you? aren't you going to do the same? Or are you going sit on your computer until

Look at you. Look at everyone. You and everyone you know are too internet addicted and materially obsessed?

As for the churches, nobody cares if theirs going empty. I care about the churches and I believe we need revival. Everyone is way too materially obsessed. I barely open my email, I use the post office, and you want me to go digital to pay my bills? For Shame.

The Only way for the USPS to survive is to put an end to the internet and make everyone see the light that there's a big world outside that needs to be explored, post offices that need to be supported, real friends to make, and The Savior that everyone needs. I was commanded by the good lord to get everyone off the internet.

August 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@josh taylor: good luck with that.

August 13, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pink Panther

Sorry folks,I didn't post the above. Someone is trying to make me look like a fool. The obscene war has drained the USPS so that now our domestic staff will lose their jobs. The right-wing thugs in Washington are ruining this country with their right-wing mumbo jumbo. This has got to stop. It's as simple as that.

August 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Good post Pink Panther,thank you.

August 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

@pink panther: Oh, please. The post office has been going down for a long time, before any of these wars started. With email, UPS and a dozen others, they've been losing money for years.

They try to compete, they just can't. Whether i get mail or not, the mailman has to come by every day. Unlike UPS, and others. That's alot of overhead.

I used to have to mail bills. Don't even do that anymore with billpay.. Paper checks won't be far behind.

August 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. s kel

thats why i like doing things the old fashioned way, like mailing a letter, ect...sooooo much in this country we have to preserve, people we are losing our love and understanding of our history. For example our civil war battlefields and being encrouched by suburban sprawl. save our past for our future. Post office included.

August 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. max

are we supposed to feel nostalgia for these part-time post offices? maybe we should feel nostalgia for the pony express and bring it back...

replace em with a vending machine and a metal box at the grocery store. pick it up and take it to a central sorting location.

August 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

There's a reason they call it 'history'.. Like milkmen before them, the mailman's days are numbered.

I'm sure, as with covered bridges and single room schoolhouses, historical societies in some places will maintain and preserve some of them. Like the pony express, they'll live forever in history books.

I even do my taxes online.. No lines on the 15th for me..

Anyone remember milkmen?

August 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

That wasn't me OR Pink Panther posting.
    Dick, my troll, has stolen Pink Panther's name.
    Way to go, Dick.
    Now please, change your boring posts up a bit, would you?

August 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

I believe in the USPS, but I guess times are changing. I wonder what the USPS and banasy's troll will be doing in 10 years.

August 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

Good grief fake banasy of 9:46 PM EST,will you kindly stop hi-jacking my name? It isn't funny,you joker. You sound like such a right-wing partier. Sorry folks,I can't control the clowns around here that steal people's names. This simply has to stop immediately. It's as simple as that!

August 14, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pink Panther

Good post banasy,thank you. You said it all.

August 14, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mad Hatter

@leeintulsa. I remember them.

August 14, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@mad hatter: 1, huh? Lol. I hope postmen fare better than that.

As i recall, it was around 73 when the milkman stopped coming by the house. Oblivion in less than 40 years..

August 14, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |