August 17th, 2011

U.N.: Syrian president says military operations have stopped

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in a phone conversation Wednesday that military and police operations in Syria had stopped, according to a U.N. statement.

The secretary general's office released a read-out of the conversation, during which, according to the statement, Ban also expressed alarm at reports of human rights violation in Syria.

During the conversation, al-Assad told Ban that "the military and police operations in Syria have stopped," it said.

Al-Assad has been under enormous international pressure to end a months-long military crackdown on anti-government protesters calling for free elections and an end to his regime.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria
  1. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "Bashfull Bashar"

Should be another crate of slingshots on their way. 😉

August 18, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. justin

Something tells me this a lie.

August 18, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

I believe that there could be a real peace in Syria if those sleazebags in both London and Washington would only quit financing the Syrian rebels! They won't and that's where the problem lies!!

August 18, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. like-new Stealth Schwinn

I think this is the real RUFFNUTT above. There was so much highjacking last night that I didn't want to post.
    I agree with the person, RUFF or not, who said that DC is involved.
    It reminds me of THE FIGURE IN THE CARPET by Henry James.
    "One nation, under God, all over the world..."

August 18, 2011 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. like-new Stealth Schwinn

In my work, I hane met members of the ruling family of Syria. I knew members of the family of the Shah of Iran.
    They were all very nice people. I cannot think of them as evil.
    Whenever you have anything, many humans will be jealous and want to take it away, even if you are a kind and generous person.
    Nations will want to take it away from you.

August 18, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. ***dude***

What a bunch of crap. These guys r thugs. We want democracy!!!

August 18, 2011 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pedro

IVe known and worked with HIndu people from India and Muslim people from Pakistan and everywhere else. The muslims were super nice with a good sense of humor. The people from india were all butt wipes. We need to stop supporting scuzzz from india.

August 18, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. tom

I agree 100 percent. Those from India are the rudest most hate filled people in the world.

August 18, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jean Sartre

Yes, and water isn't wet and the sun isn't hot...

August 18, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cult of Personality

All that really needs to transpire in the middle east is, we need to send a special ops. team, the likes of Navy SEAL Team Six, or even the Israeli Mossad, to assassinate Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Iranian dictator, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Libyan dictator, Moammar Gadhafi, al Qaeda's new leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Taliban leader, Mullah Mohammed Omar, Hamas leader, Khaled Mashal, Hezbollah leader, Hassan Nasrallah, the Sudanese dictator, Omar Hassan Ahmad Al-Bashir and the Somali dictator, Sharif Ahmed.

ONLY THEN will we be able to achieve PEACE in the Middle East.

August 18, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Wrong, Cult. What really needs to happen here is to have Obama and his gutless European allies thrown in jail and tried for crimes against humanity since they're the true culprits in this sad chapter of the history of the Middle East!

August 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. like-new Stealth Schwinn

No, ***dude***, they are not thugs.
    I have known Muslims from Syria, Shah-ruled Iran, Egypt, Kuwait, Yemen, Senegal, and Morocco.
    I know Muslims who were born in America.
    They are good people.
    The unrest in that region is not actually caused by Islam.
    Islam is an excuse for fighting worldly battles.

August 18, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. like-new Stealth Schwinn

Obama has called for the President of Syria to step down.
    I support Obama, but I disagree with him in this matter.

August 18, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Hassidic

Very, very funny. President Obama calls for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down. Does anyone in their right-mind really believe this is going to happen? I only hope this does not lead to another NATO-led invasion involving the USA into Syria. If so, this could potentially start a conflict between the USA, Syria, and of course, Syria's number one ally, Iran. It would be a bloodbath.

August 18, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ackbar Moaba

Step down. Just make sure that the new guy lets US use your airbases too as per our original agreement made just prior to the invasion/occupation of Iraq. Other than that, just step down.

August 18, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

That is not the real RUFFNUTT.
    The real one is the king of one-liners.
    The poster above if Dick, the right-wing thug troll.

I wouldn't believe a word the Syrian President says.
    I definitely do not want an invasion by US troops.
    We need to stay out of this one.

August 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Here goes another mindless Tea Partier trying to be funny, stealing other peoples' names in the process. It never ends!!!

August 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |