August 19th, 2011

India's Hazare begins anti-corruption fast

Indian activist Anna Hazare began a public hunger strike in the country's capital Friday, accompanied by thousands of cheering supporters.

The 74-year-old campaigner, who is seeking stronger anti-corruption measures in India, was greeted by crowds as he left a jailhouse in New Delhi earlier to make his way to the city's large Ramlila Grounds.

He will stage the two-week protest there after police relaxed their conditions. Supporters say he began fasting while still in jail.

Hazare traveled from the jail in an open-top truck decorated with Indian flags, as thousands of citizens marched along.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: India • World
  1. justathought

===========@adj041=================== You could be right, but I really doubt that there are enough 'die hards' too affect the businesses for very long.

August 19, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Issota-Fraschini

That was not me at 10:51. It was a troll. Why do you use my name troll? I think that you could contribute more if you didn't use other people's names.

August 19, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT (pit bull trainer)

after he is done with the fast... i would like to take him to the waffle house in grandview mo... they have great food if you ddont mind the roaches..

August 19, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. JIF

Hey RUFF: I train Dobermans for myself. Does that count?
    They're great dogs: smart, and wouldn't hurt anybody unless I told them to.

August 19, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. JIF

Also not me at 11:09, but that was obvious.

August 19, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. JIF

"Not I," not "not me."
    This New Education is rubbing off on me.

August 19, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. justathought

=============@mmmmmm9:27========== That was the way your Mom was saying: "Eat them or else......"

August 19, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. justathought

===========@mmmmmm9:27============ That was the way your Mom was saying:"Eat them or else....."

August 19, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Trollenator

Fake Joey:
    The real JIF knows how to spell his name.
    If you're going to slam people and steal their name, perhaps you can spell it correctly.

August 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@Ruffie:

And you thought those were *pecans* in those waffles...

August 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. john dahodi

Rather than agitating to change or impose any new laws to abate corruption, bribery, Anna and many his sponsors should catch the corrupt officers, policemen, civil servants, teachers, doctors, engineers, film actors and producers, industrialists,politicians, businessmen and almost every one except 80% poor people, who have nothing to offer and nothing to gain in getting or giving bribe around Indi...a. These 20% Indians; means almost 22 crore are either routinely or casually involved in small or large corruption. By changing new law, you can only change the white cap to kesri cap nothing else. Both caps wearing goons are highly corrupt for centuries; they must be caught, hand over to the corrupt police force and judges and demand swift punishment on daily and individual basis. Annaji must follow the Gandhian way of sacrificing life for this issue not few days or weeks and using fund from the similar corrupt politicians and industrialists only to change the cap. Pakistan, China and America are really happy to see that India's economy is sliding down to the grave yard.

August 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indian

don't comment on stuffs when you don't know what the whole matter is..and Sir this is in counter for your advice..tell me how can a group of people can go and catch corrupt officers and politicians..???Whatever Anna Hazare is doing whole of the population of India is with him...and India's economy is fine and we can make it...America,china and Pakistan can cry over their issues..!

August 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. George Patton

It looks like these mindless Tea Partiers took over this web page to post their right-wing nonsense under other peoples' names for their self-amusement again. I guess that the rest of us will just have to live with it!!! It must be awfully nice not to have anything on one's mind and that makes me almost envy them!!!

August 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. donald

May God help him to bring down the corruption in India. May God help the poor to bring down the people heart less. I am praying for you Mr Hazare, you are a second Gandi now. Indian people desert better life and equal. I am a Vietnamese and I support the right thing.

August 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joseph McCarthy

I totally agree with both you and George above. I, too hate corruption in government and believe it should never exist. Government should be a science, not a way to grab money!

August 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. saywhat

I wonder why is our media focusing now on India, why this change of heart?
    The policy has been to turn a blind eye to the dark side of India.
    Be it corruption, the extremist hindus killing Christian missionaries & burning churches in N. India, Goa & other places, or the brutal military rule in Kashmir.

August 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lyndsie Graham

It looks like these mindless left-wingers took over this web page to post their liberal nonsense under other peoples’ names for their self-amusement again. I guess that the rest of us will just have to live with it!!! It must be awfully nice not to have anything on one’s mind and that makes me almost envy them!!! Given that I am one of those who steals other people's names, I guess I'll have to eat crow!!!

August 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindsey Graham

Hey you, if you have to troll under my name here, at least spell it right, will you? How so very nice it must be not to have anything bettr to do than to post one's Tea Party nonsense under other peoples' names for their own selfamusement! Once and for all, the name's Lindsey, not Lyndsie!!!

August 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |