August 19th, 2011

Sitter charged after taking baby on ride in back of pickup

A Florida babysitter was charged with child neglect after taking a baby in his stroller for a ride the bed of  a pickup.

According to 911 calls, several people contacted Daytona Beach police Wednesday when they saw the stroller in the back of the truck.

"It's not something you see every day," Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

The babysitter, Keyona Davis, 23, said in a court appearance Thursday that she had a firm grip on the stroller and that she did not realize her actions constituted neglect.

Davis' public defender had argued that the charge of child neglect was too harsh, as the baby was unharmed.

"It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.

Davis replied, "Exactly!"

Davis said she didn't realize that police would consider what she did as "negligent."

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

Davis was released from jail on her own recognizance. Police are still investigating the driver of the truck and the baby's mother.

Post by:
Filed under: Child safety • Crime • Florida • U.S.
  1. BenA

There is no way you can justify her actions. Saying "It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt" is like saying "if I shoot directly at you and miss, it means I wasn't trying to kill you!".

August 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SilentBoy741

"Look officer, you flipped out when I let the kid drive - you flipped out when I put him in the back. Make up your mind, will ya?!"

August 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tewrobert

Only in Florida!!

August 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Just where are you from Robert? Idiots are everywhere, even in the white house. I am betting your neighbors are tired of idiots to.
      -Florida Resident

August 19, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tim

Definition of child neglect-putting a child at risk of bodily or mental injury, just how was it that she didn't think this was neglect? And to her defense team, child neglect doesn't mean that the child was necessarily injured it also can mean that the care giver put the child at risk of getting injured which is what happened in this case and therefore the reason why she is guilty.

August 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • cor

Well, as "whacked" as it is, I don't think I would call it "neglect", I would call it "endangerment" which I think is actually worse.

August 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rozita

" 'It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.' " Which is only one step away from disaster–which meets the definition of imminent risk. I guess that was the best that the public defender could do when confronted with that video.

August 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BrainySmurf

Unfortunately, educated people are having less kids than the non educated... Our future is going into a dump!

August 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. yeehaw

YEE HAW

August 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cor

A Seinfeld show quote comes to mind: "George: Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on this thing, because if I had known that sort of thing was frowned upon..."

August 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike collins

LOL! I especially love the "it's not like they give you a handbook" line!

August 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

There are government-sponsored babysitting classes, but I bet this type of episode was never included. I can just see it now being included in those prison-based classes for new mothers who are abbout to get out: "Now don't ever place your baby and its stroller in the back of a pickup truck or you'll be right back here." The sorry thing is that normal pickup trucks were never engineered to transport babies and toddlers in the cab either unless Mom sits in the truckbed. (I know those extra-cab size may work, but, years ago, we found that ours didn't seem to do a good job of protecting the family baby benind the seat.)

August 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ken

Not really surprised. After all this is the state that let just let a killer off. It's also a state who's populace doesn't even know how to vote correctly in an election-yes you poke the chads all the way through people or if you're using a butterfly ballot you mark the candidate after properly checking the ballot, it's not rocket science people.

August 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Ken, a lot of those Florida chad problems were due to heavy voting. The chad-collection boxes filled and the poll personnel were not allowed to empty them. I know that because my son and I at different polling places asked for the boxes to be emptied when we realized our punch would not go through as it should have. Funny thing, those were replaced for the next presidential election with computers that did not necessarily register what the voter had picked. So a double touch for the democratic candidate registered as a vote for the republican in our precinct. We know now to always go over the finished ballot and printout, if one is given, VERY carefully. None of this was due to Floridians' stupidity.

August 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Ken, I meant to mention that my request was about noon of the voting day, so the problem had to have gotten worse for voter through the day.

August 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Will

This is another case of the law enforcement and courts in Florida trying to get back at Casey Anthony's acquital by sticking it to other mothers and caretakers who do something that would not have been more than a curiosity or "Why did you do that?" or considered an accident even a few years ago. AND Was the person taking the picture driving? Law enforcement knows that using one's cell phone while driving should be cited, but they don't do it. There are so many accidents, even some with deaths, due to cell pnone driving. By the way, I still see lots of families too large for the cab pile into the back of their pickup trucks to get where they need to go. I haven't seen any of them hurt or killed because of it.

August 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike collins

please tell me you're kidding...

August 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • BisSir

And that proves its not dangerous? Try relying on your common sense.

August 19, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Mike & BisSir: I'm just saying a lot of things are risky, some of them illegal. But they rarely catch the eye of the law. Just think of how many drivers you saw texting today, and those who blatently ran a red light.
      Further, humans are not born with common sense. What we consider common sense is based on our backgrounds, the culture in which we live and what we learn from our families, neighbors, schoolwork, guidebooks, from our own experiences –perhaps trial and error, etc. Faced with a new situation, one draws on all these. In fact, the concept of common sense is a derogatory term used against others who have not learned the same set of rules and who do not do what we think we would do in the same situation. And, of course we want to punish them for it. Further, some have said there should be parenting classes. There are/were. Most school systems have cut out the Family living (which includes family planning methods and childcare) and home economics classes that might have helped this young woman "have" better common sense as others see it.

August 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike collins

LOL!!! I think the PARENT (yes, i'm sure it would be singular in THIS child's case...) who decided it was ok to let this rocket scientist watch their kid should be arrested too!

August 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Daniela

This is absolutely absurd. If there are laws about transporting a child in a car seat, how is this not neglect? We have a bunch of idiots out there in the world.

August 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TODAY

New commercial for DODGE pick up...You can even drive your baby safely while she's in the stroller...LOL

August 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jbug

I didnt realize a person needed a "HAND BOOK" for common sense!!!!!!!!

August 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • TODAY

"Common sense for Dummies"...LOL

August 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. boogietime

So what is the problem here? Did she drive through a car wash or what?

August 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |