August 19th, 2011

Sitter charged after taking baby on ride in back of pickup

A Florida babysitter was charged with child neglect after taking a baby in his stroller for a ride the bed of  a pickup.

According to 911 calls, several people contacted Daytona Beach police Wednesday when they saw the stroller in the back of the truck.

"It's not something you see every day," Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

The babysitter, Keyona Davis, 23, said in a court appearance Thursday that she had a firm grip on the stroller and that she did not realize her actions constituted neglect.

Davis' public defender had argued that the charge of child neglect was too harsh, as the baby was unharmed.

"It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.

Davis replied, "Exactly!"

Davis said she didn't realize that police would consider what she did as "negligent."

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

Davis was released from jail on her own recognizance. Police are still investigating the driver of the truck and the baby's mother.

Post by:
Filed under: Child safety • Crime • Florida • U.S.
  1. james

Florida=The Forest Gump State.

August 19, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. James

Correct, there is no handbook for common sense. However, there is a convenienst set of rules that could have been consulted. They're called "laws". Yet more proof of what we get when modern civilization doesn't allow for Darwinism to be completely effective.

August 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ICallItLikeISeeIt

What a fool! I'm sure glad I don't have to wake up every morning to see her mug. Stupid AND ugly...What a mix!

August 19, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. lauraohh

Since when does a stroller qualify as a child safety seat???? If that were MY child and I found out she did that to my child, I would knock out the other three teeth she has in her head......I was going to say brains, but it appears she does not have any.

August 19, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JMMAM

I wouldn't let my DOG ride in the back of a pick up due to safety. What a idiot and her reasoning makes her even more ridiculous.

August 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

How about the public defender? He couldn't come up with something better than that? I wouldn't let that clown near my kid (Had I any) and If he's married with kids, if I were his wife, I'd think twice about leaving him alone with them. His argument sounds like he really believes it.

August 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tim

Is stoopid supposed to be a word?

August 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill

Hey, let's not get too harsh here on Keyona! She's right ....no instruction manuals on any of this kinda stuff. Most importantly, it's Florida donchaknow and riding in the beds of pickups is like ...duh....part of the lifestyle...southern pride and all that good stuff!. It sure will be a relief if we can get big government out of our lives by electing someone like Gov.Perry (yah-hoo!) So kwitcherbellyachin and don't knock it if ya'll ain't tried it. C'mon down!

August 19, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Really???

Car seats are required by law in practically every state. I find it hard to believe this nitwit never saw or heard of child restraint devises by 23 years old. If I were the judge the charge would be endangerment & the verdict – guilty!

August 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. She probably WAS towing the stroller attached to the truck bumper

But the rope broke, so instead she chose the much safer option of putting the stroller in the back of the truck. Let's not forget that she probably lifted the child in the stroller into the back of the truck. I would bet that she did not set the parking brake on the stroller, and that was why she was holding it. Her only mistake was not using duct tape to secure the child to the vehicle.

August 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chazz

The really sick part is if there had been an accident and the baby was injured or killed, the company that made the stroller would get sued for not specifically warning that the device should not be used in the bed of an open pickup truck. Hope the mother can find someone with at least a couple functioning brain cells to be that baby's next sitter.

August 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dvesq

What I find absolutely appalling about this is that she *really* doesn't get it.

August 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tim

@Bill: if your intent was to poke fun at how backwards Florida is you succeeded, however Florida isn't a true southern state anymore, hasn't been for quite sometime. Northerner's from the upper east coast pretty much took away it's southern charm starting in the seventies.

August 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. USA

What a stupid ignorant sow, and people wonder whats wrong with the education system. Do you want your kids going to scholl with that?

August 19, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tricia

scholl?

August 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. If you don't know what negligent means, how can you be guilty of it?

So as long as nobody gets hurt, no laws are broken? So I can drive naked on my racing motorcycle at 100 MPH through a school-zone whilst firing rocket powered grenades and burning the American flag, and it's no-harm-no-foul? America, what a great country!

August 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |