August 19th, 2011

Sitter charged after taking baby on ride in back of pickup

A Florida babysitter was charged with child neglect after taking a baby in his stroller for a ride the bed of  a pickup.

According to 911 calls, several people contacted Daytona Beach police Wednesday when they saw the stroller in the back of the truck.

"It's not something you see every day," Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

The babysitter, Keyona Davis, 23, said in a court appearance Thursday that she had a firm grip on the stroller and that she did not realize her actions constituted neglect.

Davis' public defender had argued that the charge of child neglect was too harsh, as the baby was unharmed.

"It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.

Davis replied, "Exactly!"

Davis said she didn't realize that police would consider what she did as "negligent."

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

Davis was released from jail on her own recognizance. Police are still investigating the driver of the truck and the baby's mother.

Post by:
Filed under: Child safety • Crime • Florida • U.S.
  1. sthflachk

For all of you hating on Florida.......Lay Off! Not all of us are complete morons! I am sure where you are from not everyone is as dimwitted as you to lump all people together because they live in the same state. Tell me where you are from and I could list 1 for 1 the articles I find that could win the Darwin award found in your backyard.

August 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

I disagree. Floridians on the whole are stupid

August 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Jack, does that include the people working for NASA?

August 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

yes, NASA is broke

August 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm

I agree.
      I think the "majority" of people in our Idiocracy are just plain stupid.
      And for those of you blaming it on the color of her skin....that's just plain wrong.
      This extreme lack of common sense is running rampant among all races in this country.

August 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Russell

So true. I know of three Floridians personaly who are not idiots.

August 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

I know its not based on where you live. The country has lost its grip on common sense. Granted 30 years ago you could pile in the back of a pick up and drive, no problems but then again 30 years ago you didn't have everyone on their cell phone and only concerned about themselves. We've become I and only when you prevent me from doing what I want, when I want will I pay you any mind. Its a sad state of affairs.

August 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • yetzy

Im from Orlando FL... I still think Floridians are a bunch of common senseless wanna be parents... you are a bunch of id!ots.... Thats why i moved out of there and dont really plan on going back.. ever..

August 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

I am in Oklahoma, that is extremely ridiculous! There are intelligent people, stupid people, chriminal, good citizens, and all kinds in all states. To say otherwise is just showing your imaturity.

August 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bananaman

Cluck Cluck Cluck, here come the hens. Typical floriduh

August 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

It is riduculous to say everyone in a state is bad. No, I don't live in Florida. But anyone with even a tiny bit of common sense would understand that every state has good and bad people, rich and poor, inttelligent and stupid. Anyone who says different is just being very immature.

August 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Only idiots believe Florida is any different than the other 49 states. Its in the news for one reason, C. Anthony. Same thing happens when any big story hits. The media focus its attention there. Remember all the mass animal deaths / end of the world nonsense? This stuff happens every day all over the world.

You don't know jack, Jack.

August 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. like-new Stealth Schwinn

OK, the stroller is not a good idea, but when I was a kid we used to pack the back of a pickup with all who could get on it, and ride 30 miles to the nearest town with a swimming pool. Nobody ever fell off.

August 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • tellyou1nce

you're from the south? huh?

August 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

A childhood friend died after falling out of the back of a pickup. He was maybe 9 or 10 at the time.

August 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

Kid I grew up with fell out of the back of a pick up riding along with a bunch of friends and died. And it's not just if the pick up flips. Bump in the road, dip in the road, the need to brake suddenly – anything that causes the center of balance to shift can lead to those unsecured in the back to be insured or killed. There's a reason it's against the law however, it really should be plainly obvious how stupid and dangerous it is.

August 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • josh

And were you 9mos old and in a stroller?

August 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not Stupid

Its a baby stupid, not a kid.

It is also considered neglect if you have a kid on your lap in the front seat. You know why, cuz if you get in an accident the baby goes flying out the window, or if it/you are buckled up the baby is killed by the airbag.

Ignorance and stupidity is no excuse for breaking the law. That is basically the definition of neglect.

August 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • monster?

im with you on that – these comments from all the super perfect people demonstrate how brainwashed our society has become so that they are used to having no freedom.

I'm all for safety awareness, but charging someone with neglect because they made a mistake is out of control. It's a learning experience, not a criminal offense. (now that ive said that...here come more personal insults from people who have never made a mistake in their life.)

August 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. holdem

tie her tubes now!!!

August 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. scarls

I've ridden in the back of a pickup truck as a child. Of course, that was long ago before car seats were invented and seat belts were mandatory. But I would NEVER let my child (or even my dog) ride in the back of one now. And I certainly wouldn't let a baby in a stroller ride in the back of one. Doesn't take much IQ to know that is a bad idea. A friend from h.s. died after falling out of the back of a moving pickup truck. A preventable tragedy.

August 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • pattysboi

WAY back in 1937, my father, age 10, apparently jumped on a running board of a car, and rode several miles until he fell off and hit his head, Passerby found him in a ditch, out cold, and took him home. Thank Heavens he had no permanent injuries, but still...

August 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT (PARACHUTE QUALITY CONTROL TESTER)

i remember when i was a kid, i would go for a ride in my mom's 69 firebird convertible.. i would climb over the back seat and lay-down in the convertible well and stare at the sky going by....sometimes i would fall asleep...
    i miss those days...

August 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rhonda

How did one of you Fox News guys find this blog?

August 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • OkayNw

Thats funny I was thinking the same thing. LOL

August 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LP1998

Did the police do a drug test on this ignorant, lazy waste of space? Look at her eyes in the photo. She looks stoned.

August 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

The police are busy having donuts

August 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

She doesn't look stoned. She just looks like she can't believe she got taken into custody and put into that ugly orange jumpsuit over something like this.

August 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

She's just shocked because she was counting on this babysitting job now that she can't get free money from the state after the new law about passing drug tests if you are on government assistance.

August 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Robin: Please tell me you're not involved in any way, shape or form, in the food chain? Please?

August 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • peri

I'll take your word for it because I'm sure you are no stranger to "lazy wastes of space" and people who are stoned. You have very little info on this womans life yet you know so much...birds of a feather...

August 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Yermama

If she was holding onto the stroller, who cares??

August 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

she is a moron, maybe an idiot, but not sure

August 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Well I guess we can count you as one of the incredible number of morons in this country.
      Please don't reproduce.

August 19, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. matthew

Joey... Are you serious? State training for common sense instructions? This is stupid. Thats all we need, another tax burden item to train people to act human.

August 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AlongTheWay

I had been wondering what would have made her think this was just fine, but her own comments condem her to idiocy and a steep lack of common sense.
    No proverbial handbook for taking care of a child and keeping that child out of danger? Is she serious? That she even said it as all is stupid.
    And for those who charged her, NEGLECT is not the charge but CHILD ENDANGERMENT.

August 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Really?

I hate when I see people with their dogs in the back of pick up trucks. It's so unsafe!

August 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ladeebugg

We're all too familiar with Florida's history of acquitting parent(s) of neglect. However, I don't feel this woman is going to be so lucky. @NANCYGRACEROCKS

August 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Only half psychotic middle aged house wives disappointed with how their life turned out like Nancy Grace.

August 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Oldie in TampaBay

watch it, Jack!

August 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat2u

What the hell is wrong with people today ? A baby in a stroller in the back of a pickup ! This woman sure needs to have a mental evaluation.

August 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • gingerpeach

Thank You bobcat2u, I can't believe the comments on here from people that think this is no big deal!! Commen sence is out the window now days. Why do people not know these things???

August 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Big stink over nothing.

Unless we are missing something, the woman is an complete idiot, not a criminal. She should be educated, not incarcerated. Glad the kid wasn't hurt - but in judging her, please remember how many of us hung on to pickups, rode on grampy's lap in the front seat of the Caddy, bounced gleefully in the back of the school bus or careened around town in roller skates being towed on a bike -- and we turned out just fine.

August 19, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey

Actually no – we didn't all turn out fine. Plenty of kids were killed and injured – hence the change in legislation.

August 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |