August 19th, 2011

Sitter charged after taking baby on ride in back of pickup

A Florida babysitter was charged with child neglect after taking a baby in his stroller for a ride the bed of  a pickup.

According to 911 calls, several people contacted Daytona Beach police Wednesday when they saw the stroller in the back of the truck.

"It's not something you see every day," Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

The babysitter, Keyona Davis, 23, said in a court appearance Thursday that she had a firm grip on the stroller and that she did not realize her actions constituted neglect.

Davis' public defender had argued that the charge of child neglect was too harsh, as the baby was unharmed.

"It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.

Davis replied, "Exactly!"

Davis said she didn't realize that police would consider what she did as "negligent."

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

Davis was released from jail on her own recognizance. Police are still investigating the driver of the truck and the baby's mother.

Post by:
Filed under: Child safety • Crime • Florida • U.S.
  1. SB

"It's not like they give you a handbook"...some people are too stupid to live...what a waste of skin!

August 22, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. John R. De Lude

One more incident and justification fro making "STUPIDITY" illegal.

August 22, 2011 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Erick

Stupid people are so thoughtless!
    they only have one thing on their mind!!!!!! It me about me and only me that is inportant to me.
    And I now lot Girls & Boys like them and the sad thing is most of them are in 20's and 40's and they say I love my Children and I do every thing for them. Lies lies lies

August 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Taylor13

She has to be the stupidest person I've ever heard of....Are you kidding me you didn't know that that was neglect...Is there not a law in Florida that states that you must be at least 16 or older to ride in the back of a truck? In NC there is...but this woman seems nothing more than a crack head high and in charge of a baby....the parents are stupid and should be blamed too....

August 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jon

There are 31 states (and DC) with laws against riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck. However there are some exclusions such as Missouri's "family owned truck with insufficient room in the cab for all passengers".
    All states have child restraint laws .http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx
    In FL (where this occurred) the penalty is $60 & also have points put on their license. In FL if seats & belts are installed in the pickup truck bed, then it is legal. The sitter being over 18 was exempt.

August 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alichia

none ever should put babys or kids in the back if a truck that is very very very dangus that air can knock the baby breath

August 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. monster?

ok so it was not the smartest thing to do, but seriously people! to charge her with a crime is orwellian! when I was a kid about 10 yrs old my dad used to let me and my brother ride on the hood of the pickup truck and on top of the camper top while 4-wheeling in the rockies. it was AWESOME! My dad was the best possible parent, but nowadays they probably would have locked him up for child abuse.

also before all the child seat laws, my mom had to hold me up as a baby so i could see out the front windshield or id start fussing.

also a felony in todays society....

I turned out okay and my parents were monsters by todays laws.

August 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

"My dad was the best possible parent" You must have fallen off and hit your head a few times.

June 16, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. monster?

Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

Is he serious? "babysitters licence" Bwa ha ha ha!

August 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Angy

My free library has plenty of books on child care.

August 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ldean50

Kids riding in the back of trucks is common in rural America. There was an adult in the back of the truck with the child. A felony? This is obviously a time when the race card is allowed. A felony? This woman will never be able to work anywhere for the remainder of her life once she is a convicted felon. So what is the cut-off age for riding in the back of a truck?

August 27, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • malasangre

get this. in Michigan it is illegal. unless, you are a farm worker.

June 15, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. defragg

SMH here... Too many strange things happen, too often... Same type of person, who would leave a child or pet in the car. Locked doors, windows up in the middle of summer...

September 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kevin

How about a dog in back of a truck? Neglect too?

June 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ichupichu

Actually, in California, if the dog is not tied down with a leash it is a crime.

June 15, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin

Damn, this is news from last year!!!!!!!!!!!! we've been fooled

June 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. iflipyou

stupid? yes. criminal? probably not. definitely stupid though.

June 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jenkoosh

"Because the pickup didn't crash, I wasn't negligent." Really? Wow. Not exactly a MENSA member, are we?

Lady, did it ever cross your mind that ANY pickup can crash at ANY time, and that's why we don't put babies in the back of them??? What if a drunk driver had smashed into your pickup? The baby would have gone flying. You'd have a dead baby, with brains on the pavement. Would it make you feel better that you didn't PLAN for that crash to happen?

You prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Don't ever pretend that you "can't" or "won't" have an accident. It can happen in a split second.

June 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |