August 19th, 2011

Sitter charged after taking baby on ride in back of pickup

A Florida babysitter was charged with child neglect after taking a baby in his stroller for a ride the bed of  a pickup.

According to 911 calls, several people contacted Daytona Beach police Wednesday when they saw the stroller in the back of the truck.

"It's not something you see every day," Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

The babysitter, Keyona Davis, 23, said in a court appearance Thursday that she had a firm grip on the stroller and that she did not realize her actions constituted neglect.

Davis' public defender had argued that the charge of child neglect was too harsh, as the baby was unharmed.

"It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.

Davis replied, "Exactly!"

Davis said she didn't realize that police would consider what she did as "negligent."

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

Davis was released from jail on her own recognizance. Police are still investigating the driver of the truck and the baby's mother.

Post by:
Filed under: Child safety • Crime • Florida • U.S.
  1. deb

It's not like they give you a handout or anything....it's not like I have an ounce of common sense or anything.....it's not like anybody told me that a baby in a stroller in the bask of a pickup truck is probably unsafe....all day gotta do is tell me.

August 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • deb

***sorry....BACK of a pickup truck*****ya'll know what I mean 🙂

August 19, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gandalf the Brown (cat)

MEOW!!!
    Obvious line of "reasoning" –

1) We need to go get some beer.
    2) Babies need to be in a car seat.
    3) We don't have a car seat.
    4) A stroller is a seat on wheels, sort of like a car.
    5) Stroller does not fit inside pick cab.
    =) Put stroller in bed and hang on.

August 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

You forgot, Hold my beer and watch this.

August 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elise

The scary thing is I can totally see that happening.

August 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Replace beer with crack and I think you’ve got it.

August 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Feast of Beast

That's a lot of woman, she would make a fine feast.

August 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. greg

Lol, when I was a kid, my dad did worse. Was it a smart thing for her to do, no. But we as a society are pretty damn PC these days. I never wore a seatbelt, rode in the back of the truck all the time as a kid. Never wore helmets. I agree that those are all good things and help to keep people safe, but people are crazy these days when you don't feel like wearing a helmet or a seat belt.

August 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dinae

yeah, well, children shouldn't die because of adult stupidity, whether it's 1962 or 2011.

August 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

Sorry, I agree that with some things people do go overboard, but you know what...that wasn't even her kid for her to put it's life in danger...yeah people did stupid things years ago, but they often did not know any better....don't tell me she doesn't know any better when all you see are ads for care safety. No excuse!!! They should make her pay a stiff fine and put her through some child rearing classes. I should hope that no one uses her as a sitter henceforth!

August 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. greg

That women actually has pretty features, but she like so many American women cares more about her hair then what she eats or exercising. I can't tell if she is a big girl or not, but she definitely isn't in good shape.

August 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LR

A true credit to humanity.

August 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. la

There are some really stupid people in Florida. What is up with that?

August 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Feast of Beast

It just sucks. Florida is like a big rotten salad of things that don't go well together. Of course there are always exceptions (actual smart, courteous people). There are many, many good things I could mention about Florida. Um....

August 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mike

When you cut education, you end up with people caring for you kids with no common sense, Worse yet she is endangering someone else's kid,

August 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wezy2005

I'm i in the FREAKEN TWILIGHT ZONE???...i mean really this broad is defending her actions and so is her public defender.Oh so i guess just because by the GRACE OF GOD the child wasnt hurt so she should be cleared and free of prosecution.

Oh yeah,this world has had enough of these DUMB AZZ humans.I think its time!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • eric

you do realize her public defender is her court appointed lawyer and it is their job to defend their client no matter what the case, or what their personal opinion is on it. so why are you so surprised that they are defending their clients actions.

August 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AGuest9

Unbelievable. Then again, it's down south, so totally believable.

August 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • OA

It is Florida,
      I lived in Florida for 8 years; whenever I visited any other state, I would doubt my self if Florida really belonged to the United States. 🙂

August 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

That was a rude comment. Just becuase this woman is stupid doesn't mean iit is because she is from FL. Maybe she is your sister.

August 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ProperVillain

If this was 1984 the cops wouldn't have even blinked. I rode in the back of a pickup truck all the way to Huntington Beach when I was in my teens, no big deal....

August 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeanne

Ummm Hello..... this was an infant!

August 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave

Give me a break. Everyone did this when I was a kid. Accidents happen, but as long as the driver was being careful, it's really not a big deal. Forcing kids to be in those horrible child seats WELL past toddlerhood? Honestly, what's happening to this country??? MUCH ado about nothing.

August 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

"Accidents happen, but as long as the driver was being careful, it's really not a big deal." Dave do you really believe yourself? They call them "ACCIDENTS" for a reason. How many people do you know go out with the intention of colliding with another vehicle or other object? A driver can be the safest in the world, but you have absolutely NO control over other drivers colliding with you.

August 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • pwc94

"Forcing kids to be in those horrible child seats WELL past toddlerhood?" Do you have any idea how many lives are saved every day because of those "horrible child seats"? Many European countries have laws requiring child seats far beyond what the US requires. Guess what – the mortality rate of children in car accidents in those countries is far below the US. Possibly due to the use of those "horrible child seats", don't ya think?

August 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NYC Man

Well, sure she's a complete idiot but I say they should go easy on her because she is probably an otherwise unemployed and uneducated person. It's not like she left the kid on the roof of the car while driving or something really insane. She just made a really stupid moron mistake and now knows better, so they should just let her go with community service and ban her from babysitting.

August 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. daphnerp

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

So what about some common sense...does not seem like she has any common sense.

August 19, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cult of Personality

Keyona Davis says: "It's not like they give you a handbook or anything." Is this lady retarded?? A handbook?? Oh, yeah, sure, okay...And I suppose you need a handbook on how to change a baby's diaper too with explicit instructions...Give me a dang break !!

August 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |