August 19th, 2011

Sitter charged after taking baby on ride in back of pickup

A Florida babysitter was charged with child neglect after taking a baby in his stroller for a ride the bed of  a pickup.

According to 911 calls, several people contacted Daytona Beach police Wednesday when they saw the stroller in the back of the truck.

"It's not something you see every day," Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told CNN affiliate WESH. "I hope they revoke her babysitting license for that. Would you want her watching your kid?"

The babysitter, Keyona Davis, 23, said in a court appearance Thursday that she had a firm grip on the stroller and that she did not realize her actions constituted neglect.

"It's only if the pickup crashes, the child will be injured or hurt," a public defender said in court.

Davis replied, "Exactly!"

Davis said she didn't realize that police would consider what she did as "negligent."

"It's not like they give you a handbook or anything," she said.

Davis was released from jail on her own recognizance. Police are still investigating the driver of the truck and the baby's mother.

Post by:
Filed under: Child safety • Crime • Florida • U.S.
  1. justin

Who's the guy in the picture though? What does he have to do with the story?

August 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Case

Dunno. I think he's the new tight end for the Broncos.

August 19, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr SC

It's not like they give you a handbook..... What?? It's against the law in South Carolina for a minor to ride in the bed of a pickup truck. I'd bet it's also against the law in Florida. I'll bet she got a drivers handbook when she got her license.

August 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • AGuest9

No, but by 23, you'd think she'd have a bit of common sense. Well...

August 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

It's also against all common sense that it is a good idea to put a baby in a stroller in the bed of a moving truck. Whether it is against the law or not – it was just plain stupid.

August 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

In CA it's against the law for anyone to ride in the bed of a pickup. I thought it was a national law. If it isn't, it should be. at least on public roads. If it's just getting around on a farm that's a different matter.

August 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • NO CLUE

Look at her...do you think she has any common sense?

August 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

August 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rollin'

She was quoted to have said....."I didn't did nuttin'."

August 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • tester

Come on man, that ebonics!

August 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

"Nuttin come fum nuttin." Parmenides meets ebonics.

August 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

Knowledge and values are generally passed down from one generation to the next. Although it looks like the woman lacks common sense, I think she probably wasn't raised to know any better than that. I believe her when she feigns ignorance. Does that make her innocent? No, she should be punished, so she can be an example of bad behavior for others. If we aren't going to educate people, then we can at least make an example of them for others to see...

August 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ree

Even if she wasn't raised to know better, it just seems totally bizarre that anyone could envision that situation and think to themselves, "Yeah, this sounds like a pretty good idea!"

August 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

“wasn't raised to know any better”

What a cop out, exactly how old does one have to be before they are considered responsible for their own actions? O yea.. 18.. she is 5 years behind the curve.

August 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Faith

You don't need a handbook to know you don't stick an infant in the back of a truck. I hope her defender comes up with a better excuse than THAT. Also...I'm pretty sure one doesn't get licensed to be a babysitter, so I don't know what they're going to revoke.

August 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

Actually there are licenses fot babysitters but for some reason I doubt she had one. Oh wait, this is in Florida where mothers can kill their kids and get away with it. Maybe she was licensed after all.

August 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

There are some 10th-rate law schools in Florida, and the bar exam is a joke.

August 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RandyMarshCT

Yeah, stop the handouts. Let evolution do it's work. As comedian (and prophet) George Carlin once said, "What ever happened to the days when the kid that ate too many marbles didn't grow up to have kids of his own?" I feel like this world is headed toward "idiocracy" most of the time, seriously!

August 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Agree 100%! Just like these people that went over the Niagra and Yosemite falls this year. There were people that wanted to make the fences higher. – Not! Just let the Darwin principle do it's job.

August 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Burbank

They walk among us and they're breeding! How scary!

August 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CK

This isn't just about law, it's about common sense, in which she's a severly lacking 23 year old adult! And injury could have happened other than just a crash,what if the driver had to stop quicklky or swerve...then baby and stroller take flight along with her and...BYE BYE BABY ....just like her brains.

August 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Seriously makes me wonder if she was on drugs at the time.

August 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Yep, a "good grip" is nothing if the brakes are hit hard, she's not holding on and their goes the stroller, baby and all. Hope someone called the idiotic defense attorney on that – making a stupid argument is a sure way to a guilty verdict.

August 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chesapeake Bay Girl

She should babysit for her public defender she he or she doesn't think this is negligence. Personally, I wouldn't let her watch my dog.

August 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

I wouldn't trust her with folding my laundry, let alone watch a living creature!

August 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

I put more work into checking out my dog sitters than many people put into choosing their child minders, but I agree. I wouldn't hire her to feed my fish, or water my plants.

August 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Massive Marbles

This was poor judgment on her part. And, if a pickup truck doesn't have the full cab with a back seat where a child can be properly secured in the approved seat for the child's age, it shouldn't be in a pickup at all.

August 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

A child is not an "it."

August 19, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Corvus1

Maybe a handbook on common sense would be a good thing for people like her. Moron.

August 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Burbank

Is there any way we can sterilize these morons so they don't keep reproducing? I'm not lalking about her color, that has nothing to do with it, I'm talking about the IQ.

August 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Catherine

My dog broke her leg falling out of the back of a pickup truck. Trust me, we won't let that happen again. We learned our lesson.

Imagine what could happen to a small child in the same situation. A sentence of probation and the inability to find work as a baby sitter again should teach the necessary lesson to this woman.

August 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GEB

Why is this national news?

August 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Valarie

-Davis' public defender had argued that the charge of child neglect was too harsh, as the baby was unharmed.
    Davis replied, "Exactly!"-
    IF the pick-up crashes??? Really? What exactly was the pd on? Yeah, that's a first rate law school education right there! The charge of child negligence is when a child is put in a situation where the child could be harmed. If adults can't ride in the back of a pick-up then (duh) a kid in a stroller in the back isn't going to cut it.

August 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |