Two mauled in shark attacks off Russia's east coast
A great white shark, such as this one off South Africa in 2009, is suspected in two attacks off Russia's east coast.
August 19th, 2011

Two mauled in shark attacks off Russia's east coast

Swimming has been banned in the Sea of Japan off Russia's Far Eastern Primorye Territory after two shark attacks in the past week have left two people hospitalized, Russian media report.

The first attack occurred Wednesday when a 25-year-old man lost both arms up to the elbow, Pravda reported. He was hospitalized in serious condition but expected to survive, according to the report.

Witnesses said the shark was about 13 feet (4 meters) long with large fins, according to the Pravda report.

The second attack occurred in a nearby area Thursday when a 16-year-old boy suffered severe wounds to his legs, RIA Novosti reported. The boy was hospitalized in Vladivostok, the report said. The boy's diving suit prevented the shark from taking his legs, according to a Moscow Times report.

Authorities suspect the same shark was responsible for both attacks, according to the Pravda report.

Alexander Sokolovsky, a candidate of biological sciences at the Far Eastern Department of the Russian Academy of Sciences, told Pravda that recent storms may have made the waters off Russia's eastern coast more desirable for sharks.

"After a typhoon, the waters here become even better for sharks. The sharks are very sensitive to ecology, but the water here is clear," Pravda quoted Sokolovsky as saying. "They come here for food. When there is a shortage of their common food - fish and squid - they swim here searching for bigger food - seals, for example. Maybe the shark took those two people for seals."

Great white sharks have been spotted in the region before, but these are the first attacks Sokolovsky has seen in 51 years in the area, according to Pravda.

Authorities were putting together a team to find and kill the suspect shark, according to the RIA Novosti report.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Russia • Sharks
  1. PhooBar

Why do people keep thinking life is safe?
    Eaten by sharks, hit by a bus, fall off of a ladder.
    Take your pick.

At least these guys were doing something they liked, before it went down.

August 19, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Quint

I'm not talkin' about pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' about workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' about sharkin'.

August 19, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jaws XX

Is Quint available? You go in the whatta shark in the whatta..........

August 19, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. rls

This is a sample of consequence, related with global warming. I wouldn't be surprised to hear in short future about crocodiles living in lower Volga or lions, living in Northern Dagestan, or coral reefs surrounding Russia's Far East.

August 19, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Garrett

Why hunt down and kill the shark? Swim in there home and take the chance. We kill hundreds of millions of sharks a year, maybe they are trying to get us back every once in a while lol. Sorry about your bad luck, but also sorry they have to hunt down the shark. How many wrong sharks will they kill trying to find the killer?

August 19, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tom

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU&w=640&h=390]

August 19, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jane Peters

Cars still kill thousands and thousands more than sharks every year.

August 19, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • dhondi

vending machines kill more every year.

August 19, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Garrett

So does Lightning

August 19, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Angry Shark

Well it all started when the vodka engorged morons tried to hug me. I heard one say that I was a teddy bear... He grabbed my tail and I tried to swim. Then his friend grabbed my fin. I wanted to just swim away but I couldn't . One of them vomited on me. It was so gross. I was surrounded by vomit and I couldn't swim. I turned around and bit him and his friend. Their blood smelled like alcohol. Very weird.

August 19, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dan

Leave the shark alone, it was an unfortunate accident. I would think by now everyone that ventures into the oceanm for whatever reason knows there are sharks and other creatures that can eat them. I feel sorry for the victims, but the ocean is technically more theirs than ours. If a fishing ship pulls in their net and there is a fish (possibly a shark) in the net they release them – dead or alive. Sharks then do not put together a possy and go after the person that mistakenly caught the shark instead of Tuna!

August 19, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Travis1325

I agree with Dan, you aren't going to teach all other sharks a lesson by killing one that attacks humans. We are still part of the food chain no matter how much we want to think we are above it. We kill to eat like everything else.

August 19, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. boogietime

More sharks are killed by people then people killed by sharks.

August 19, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. zzzzzz

Poor shark. He/she was only satisfying natures basic instinct – hunger. It's unfortunate that those people got hurt, but that's the risk they took swimming in the ocean. Driving kills more people.... let's kill those cars.

August 19, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bukoo

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

August 19, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. seg58

Isen't the water to cold on the eastering side of Russia for sharks or maybe not I don't anyway, if you ever seen the movie Jaws stay out of the water.

August 19, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Nichole

There's a movie called jaws? Sounds scary, what's it about?

August 19, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shark Advocate

It is ridiculous that in this day and age, with all the research data we have on sharks, that people still insist on finding and killing sharks involved in attacks. First of all, great whites are a protected species. Second of all, the chances are slim that it was the same shark involved in both attacks. Third, sharks have vast migratory patterns so even if it was one shark, it's probably long gone by now. Those are the risks we take when we go in the ocean. I wouldn't complain if I was hanging out unprotected in the Serengeti and got mauled by a lion.

August 19, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • dhondi

It is russia, they aren't exactly the most progressive society.

August 19, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. denny

How about the years of overfishing in their seas, and now ours. Unfortunate for the two people injured, but far from the sharks fault.

August 19, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. dhondi

Go into a person's house without invitation chances are you will be shot, go into a sharks house, chances are you will be ignored.

August 19, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |