Two mauled in shark attacks off Russia's east coast
A great white shark, such as this one off South Africa in 2009, is suspected in two attacks off Russia's east coast.
August 19th, 2011

Two mauled in shark attacks off Russia's east coast

Swimming has been banned in the Sea of Japan off Russia's Far Eastern Primorye Territory after two shark attacks in the past week have left two people hospitalized, Russian media report.

The first attack occurred Wednesday when a 25-year-old man lost both arms up to the elbow, Pravda reported. He was hospitalized in serious condition but expected to survive, according to the report.

Witnesses said the shark was about 13 feet (4 meters) long with large fins, according to the Pravda report.

The second attack occurred in a nearby area Thursday when a 16-year-old boy suffered severe wounds to his legs, RIA Novosti reported. The boy was hospitalized in Vladivostok, the report said. The boy's diving suit prevented the shark from taking his legs, according to a Moscow Times report.

Authorities suspect the same shark was responsible for both attacks, according to the Pravda report.

Alexander Sokolovsky, a candidate of biological sciences at the Far Eastern Department of the Russian Academy of Sciences, told Pravda that recent storms may have made the waters off Russia's eastern coast more desirable for sharks.

"After a typhoon, the waters here become even better for sharks. The sharks are very sensitive to ecology, but the water here is clear," Pravda quoted Sokolovsky as saying. "They come here for food. When there is a shortage of their common food - fish and squid - they swim here searching for bigger food - seals, for example. Maybe the shark took those two people for seals."

Great white sharks have been spotted in the region before, but these are the first attacks Sokolovsky has seen in 51 years in the area, according to Pravda.

Authorities were putting together a team to find and kill the suspect shark, according to the RIA Novosti report.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Russia • Sharks
  1. Justen beiber

I hope the sharks come on land a kill people. We hmans went into there environment. Kill this shark and the next shark will just eat the next human who enters his domain.

August 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marshal

I agree! That's what they get for overfishing sharks, not to mention how they cut off the shark fins (for a stupid soup) and drop them back into the ocean.

August 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max

Its stupid that THE peaple try to get in THE sharks terretorie for. Whitch reasen,?????
      Nothing they dont do it to us either so i think your right

August 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • pacman357

Well, duh. We already have that. Haven't you heard of landsharks?

August 20, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

This is idiotic. The shark did not go out and say, "hmmmm what human being am I going to eat today?" People take risks when they decide to swim in the ocean/sea/lake whether it be drowning, getting sick from bird droppings, and in this case getting attacked by the shark. It is not going to do anything to make the injured all better as if it never occured by killing the shark. And how will they know for sure that would be the shark that attacked. Let's remember everyone, sharks are living creatures and if we are in their territory, then you assume the risks. I cannot believe people are even considering killing this shark.

August 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. michelle

o dear

August 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ric

leave the --- sharks alone.

August 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I would say that being that the shark attacked two humans, it *is* a human predator.....

August 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kana

I would say you know little about sharks

September 29, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Really????

We should respect the ocean and just leave sharks alone... We are in "their" world when we enter the sea; they don't enter "our" world.

August 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rastus

If you think about it, the ocean is just a huge aquarium and when you enter it, you may be mistaken for food. Too bad for the both of those people.

August 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

They should just catch em, then some passive probing; lost, out of the elements, these sharks need to be in SA, sharks annomous, and be re-habilitated, like if we tagged them to learn about em, how would there transmitters guide them? or recievers perhaps, my teeth are wired to my brain, that's why it hurts so dam bad when I get them fixed...Just something I wonder.

Kids around me have a lightning whistle when they go swimmin, did we already accidently kill the "shark detector species" by accident? Maybe a fern on the bow of old salty beards vessel? Who knows, can't rule out a shrimp either, maybe ya can, maybe some weird species of lava dweller is the "shark detector siren", that be so much better then a Skud whistle in my book!

Yours Truely,
    Flawed specimin

August 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

When I say catch em, I mean, just hook em up with a nice area to free range, then smell em, give em some smells, etc,
      theres enough uncut six pack holders on this earth to do it, it's true, distrubution is a real problem

August 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nap3null

And what are we gaining by killing "the" shark? Even though mankind is supposedly intelligent, we are the most ignorant of all creatures created.

August 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

I agree with you, Nap3Null.

August 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wasted1

That shark is definitely an alcoholic.

August 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vistarian

Humans kill and eat all sorts of animals. This is bad. Animal milk and fat contains harmful enzymes, wrecking our arteries and hearts. If you stop eating meat and animal fat immediately, you can avoid diabetes and heart diseases. Americans are too big and very heavy for their own good. Time to change your eating habits, America. Its beautiful to be fit and slim. Obesity is ugly.

August 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Save a cow! Eat a vegetarian today!

August 20, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
    • john

enjoy your grass and we'll enjoy our meat but thanks for your concern about our health means alot

August 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. gabriel Macaco

if the shark left the ocean and went in to those peoples houses and shot them to dead,then im all for killing them,if those guys went in to the water and the shark "acted" shark,then i say the shark was hungry

August 20, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Mike:
    I couldn't make heads nor tails out of either of your posts.
    Your truly,
    banasy©

August 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. charra

People are. Over fishing the oceans so you are the new steak tar tar swim at your own risk. Dumb and dumber..

August 21, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. Quint

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

So many pansies in this world. I bet they would just float there and let the shark eat them,( maybe offer them a tofu leg.. Haha) seeing how their in the sharks environment and all, kinda like a fish flake in a goldfish bowl. Get real! Can you say community fish fry, yum

August 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Loretta

I think you all should stop argueing about what people should do to gods creatures. Sharks were here before use so we just need to deal with it. Because if you take the time to study them you might under stand them.

September 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |