Verizon workers will end strike
Union workers picket outside a Verizon Wireless store on August 17 in San Francisco.
August 20th, 2011

Verizon workers will end strike

Thousands of striking Verizon employees will return to work on Monday, as the company and the unions have made progress in negotiating a number of local and regional issues, Verizon said Saturday.

The employees will return to work without new collective bargaining agreements. The company said both sides have agreed on a process for moving negotiations on the big issues forward.

The 45,000 union members have been picketing since August 6 to protest concessions that Verizon is trying to get from its employees. Those concessions include the elimination of two paid holidays, the freezing of pensions, the alignment of pay raises with job performance, and the union's contribution of $100 per employee towards health care premiums.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Business • Telecom • U.S.
  1. RUFFNUTT

seems like most phone companys suk now...

August 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • roger

Yeah but we lucked out and got out before it all went south – huh?

August 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat2u

So the union busting continues.

August 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

*Sigh*
    Same as it ever was.

August 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

better than shipping the job to india..

August 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

@RUFFNUTT

Bad thing is, most of those jobs are already over there !!

August 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DaddyRabbit

Fire any members that distroyed equipment. Put the thugs in jail and make them pay for what was distroyed.

August 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

It seems you destroyed the "e".

August 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SkyKing

So the workers trust Verizon.
    Smooth move, ExLax!
    'Trust Me' is how Verizon management says 'F*** Y**'

August 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Juan

what happened? no paycheck for two weeks so it was hurting pockets. I say fire them all. I am in Verizon management and though I was not deployed on strike duty, I deal with these unionized techs every day. Uneducated, lazy, rude are the words to describe. Overpaid and under delivering.

August 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Fascist.

August 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbie

they probably feel the same about you. hate to think you exemplfy typical management of verizon. they must be sooo proud.

August 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bates

Im a Union employee for verizon and you are a sorry manager...you are a jerk who hides behind that management position.....Most of us save our dollarsa for the strike....Thats why we bring home more than you.....go ahead and keep making your executives rich while yore just a pond in their game.....check mate we will win this fight because we stand together.....jealousy will get you no where.

August 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Frazier

seems to me that you are also overpaid with poor management skills. Kind of make me think what type of people hired you and expect concession from the union.....

August 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • un1onm4n

Speaking as a union employee, you represent to "us", or to me specifically, a large portion of the problem.

I work hard, I work responsibly, and I leave at the end of the day satisfied that I, an adult, did the job I was supposed to do. If, as you state, you feel the company should "fire us all", then perhaps you need to re-examine your career choice.

How hard do you work, exactly? How dedicated are you to this job, this company, and these customers? More than me, or the large percentage of my fellow union workers? Doubtful.

Venomous words like yours, whether stated anonymously or not, aren't in anyone's best interest.

Consider why you say the things you do, before saying them.

August 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Hey Juan..dont worry a RIFF is coming your way...every quarter right? I will wave while your on the unemployment line

August 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobby

Verizon management means "Duh... How do I get the ladder off of the truck"?!?!? You probably don't know the 1st thing about dialtone!

August 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BobNAlabama

Pay raises SHOULD be aligned with performance! Otherwise, the union membership is analogous to a communist work force – there's nothing to gain from performing your job well.

August 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bubba

"the alignment of pay raises with job performance" .... no wonder the union is crying, their members might actually have to do some quality work to get a raise instead of guaranteed increases no matter how much of a poor performer they are.

August 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Robert

Any union sucks

August 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. olepi

Verizon is making record profits, so naturally this is the best time to squeeze the unions for more concessions.

August 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sameeker

What kind of concessions has management given?

August 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I believe Juan's post at 2:46.
    I know, John: I'm a Fascist too.

August 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mark

"...the alignment of pay raises with job performance...". Wow, this wasn't already required? Why are employees who are worthless/lazy/inept getting pay raises to begin with? If you can't do the job, you don't earn a pay raise – same as in the private sector.

August 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |