Verizon workers will end strike
Union workers picket outside a Verizon Wireless store on August 17 in San Francisco.
August 20th, 2011

Verizon workers will end strike

Thousands of striking Verizon employees will return to work on Monday, as the company and the unions have made progress in negotiating a number of local and regional issues, Verizon said Saturday.

The employees will return to work without new collective bargaining agreements. The company said both sides have agreed on a process for moving negotiations on the big issues forward.

The 45,000 union members have been picketing since August 6 to protest concessions that Verizon is trying to get from its employees. Those concessions include the elimination of two paid holidays, the freezing of pensions, the alignment of pay raises with job performance, and the union's contribution of $100 per employee towards health care premiums.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Business • Telecom • U.S.
  1. Shnookie

Can you hear me now?

August 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Im with the CWA and bust my a** everyday for my telecom company and wouldn't mind earning extra pay on job performance. However, that is not what will happen. I recieved an unsatisfactory yearly eval from management 2 years ago because I dislocated my ring finger on the job as an outside service repair tech. It didnt matter that I had above average to excellent numbers in Production, Work Quality, Attendance, and Job Knowledge sections. The section regarding Work Safe practices overrode the whole eval. I went to the company clinic, he popped my finger back, bandaged me up and I went back to work 3 hours later. Who cares, Unsatisfactory for the whole year. Another tech also received a poor eval also because he got poison ivy on the job. How do you not expect these kinds of things NOT to happen to outside technicians working on the network? So now I wonder, if this is implemented, what kind of weasel like policies would be used to keep employees from getting raises who earned them?

August 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • vafiostech

@mike I agree. missed my "numbers" first time in 10 years while working in 30 inches of snow lost hours and hours finding buried hand holes with nothing but an adress

August 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Neutron

I go to work and bust my a$$ every day – i don't need a union to 'protect' me. I just do a good job. Why can't verizon workers?

August 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Beck

Hey let's not beat up the workers how about asking some of the overpriced executives to take a cut. This is what is so wrong nowadays everyone attacks the worker for asking for fairness rather than fight where the real problem lies in our economy with the rich out of control with their greed, time to wake up and stop believing the smoke and mirrors projections given to the masses, supplied by the fat cats.

August 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rojopa

Union members can turn themselves into thugs and terrorists. How many of you are out there I wonder?

August 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe doh

not enough retard, not enough.

August 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack johnson

You mean like the tea baggers

August 20, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Whiney Libs

As it should be. Unions CAVE again.

August 20, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobby

It's definitely not the Jimmy Hoffa era of unions anymore!

August 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • egm

seems castor has a much better handle on the situation than the union folks. when are you people gonna wake up and realize that jimmy hoffa is dead, long ago dead, just as unions should die and soon. you folks are what drove the price of EVERYTHING you are associated with up, to the detriment of those who were not getting union wages and benefits. time YOU fine folks begin to pay your own way. if not, there are 14 million amercians who would love the work and dont need the union thugs to do it. so sorry SEIU and trumka, your days are numbered in private sector as well as public, you have ripped off the rest of us long enough.

August 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobby

This is a reply to "egm", I don't recall any union members compensation totaling more than $101,000,000.00 over the last 5 years. I'm referring to Ivan Seidenberg (Former CEO of Verizon). Not to mention what his "golden parachute" may have been to walk away!

August 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. castor16

They could all easily be replaced by unemployed Americans who are more than willing to kick in some for their own pension and health insurance.

August 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobby

No! They can't! Obviously you've already been screwed by your employer and believe that it's now ok for that to happen to everybody!

August 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • RICK

AMEN TO THAT

August 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bobby

August 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RICK

oh and btw, I know "retired" verizon workers who are now "consultants" for you guessed it.....verizon.

August 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

Verizon should be ashamed of itself. But of course they are proud of the disgusting thing they've done.

August 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gerald

Mike , did your finger just decide to dislocate its self? Accidents happen because people fail to identify hazards. Same with the poison ivy incident. Any worker who works in an environment were he or she is exposed to hazards such as poison ivy should know what poison ivy looks like and take the necessary steps to avoid contact. Employer's have a right to expect employees to work safely and job evaluations and policies designed to promote safe work should be expected.

August 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe doh

gerry sounds like the ass kiss that is destroying a lot of good workers. gerald why don't you come on down to moe's for a cold one and a chat. i am sure you can open a can of ass whoop for yourself

August 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

That might be possible working in an office Gerald, like remembering to close your desk drawer when turning to chat with your co-worker or to not staple your finger to your TPS report, but its a whole other animal when you are outside in the field and held to the same quality/time standard for every job regardless if the loop is 3 blocks or 5 miles in length, if its sleeting or 95 deg, its light or if its dark, if its a brand new cable or its been there since 1948. More chances for accidents happen out in the field everyday than would ever happen in a whole year inside an office. The odds are against you. Also, my finger didnt decide to dislocate itself that day. That was the day that my company assigned work vehicle's rusty compartment door decided it had enough of the 45mph wind gusts and broke free and caught my hand. But its always the techs fault, isnt it Gerald. And it will certainly always be the techs fault when they don't receive a raise based on 'job performance', won't it Gerald. However that definition is defined by some bean counter who has never worked a day outside in their life.

August 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TheMovieFan

Test.

August 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RedFlag

I don't see any different between Union and extreme Muslin . Look at how they act on the picket line !

August 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bobby

You're either a white collar pencil pusher or unemployed! Which is it?

August 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alfietcr

The company is enjoying record profits, and they still want to cut costs. The usual target for cost cutting is the employees because itss the easyest way to lean your company. Performance based pay means this: the company desides wether to raise your pay or not...dont fart on the company or else ull get a Normal performance review and not get ur pay raised. What company wants to raise pay and lose proffit?? no company wants that, eexpecially one that wants to cut costs. Agree to performance based raises and YOU WILL NEVER SEE A RAISE. And the union basherss would agree one me on that one, i mean, if u owned a company, would you raise salaries and cut into ur profits??

August 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pray this Prayer

The ILLUMINATION OF
    CONSCIENCE predicted by Our Lady in Garabandal in 1961 will take place soon to
    save the world.

The Warning is taking place to:

1. Prove to all that God exists.
    2 Bring everyone to Jesus and the Way of Truth.
    3. To help save us before the final day of judgement by giving us a chance to ask for
    forgiveness for the sins we have committed.

What will Happen?

TWO COMETS WILL
    COLLIDE IN THE SKY.

The sky will turn red, it will look like fire & then you will see a large cross in the sky to
    prepare you.

Everyone over the age of 7 will experience a mystical encounter with Jesus Christ which will last
    anything up to 15 minutes.

Pray this prayer to be prepared: Oh my precious Jesus,embrace me in your arms and allow my head to rest upon your shoulders so that you can raise me up to your glorious kingdom when the time is right. Allow your precious blood to flow over my heart that we can be united as one.

August 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreeThinkger

Okay, I's sure some idiot simpleton will make fun of my typos (things like..."you went to college"), but I think you know what I meant. But then, you probably aren't smart enough to figure it out!

August 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreeThinkger

Meant to put this on my post. Just finished running 3.5 miles and the brain/finger connection is a little slow....

August 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • proudfather

very strange post for this article ^^^^^^^^ weirdo

August 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. FreeThinkger

It's about time they went back to work, stupid bry babies. I spent 6-years in college getting my enineering degree (paid for it all myself working full time while I went to school, not federal aid), and my pension is frozen (has been for a coupel of years) and I pay into my health care, why the hell shouldn't these whiners. It's ths stupid unions and the union members that think they deserve buckets of money for little pay that are dragging my country down. I'm for making unions illegal and let the lazy butts get what they deserve. Hard working Americans will succeed and lazy butts can live in cardboard boxes under bridges for all I care.

August 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • FreeThinkger

IIt's the passion. I am so sick of crybaby unions driving prices up and quality down. Figure it out America!!!!

August 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe doh

i am for making freethinkers illegal.

August 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • verizon worker

Tell that to the family of the woman in Long Island who DIED because her phone wasn't fixed even though the company was out there 3 times. Union workers would've done the job right. BTW you're not the only one who put themselves through college. I got a full scholarship and was smart enough to realize a union job is one where I am protected from the pettiness & hatefulness of people like you.

August 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "Corporate Greed? - Hands Off S.S.?"

@verizon worker

So why did'nt you go out to Long Island and fix her phone?

August 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |