Jobs resigns as Apple CEO, to stay as chairman
August 24th, 2011

Jobs resigns as Apple CEO, to stay as chairman

[Updated at 6:57 p.m. ET] Apple CEO Steve Jobs has resigned and will be replaced by former Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, the company said late Wednesday. Jobs will stay on as Apple's chairman.

Apple made no mention of Jobs' health in its statement about the change, but Jobs alluded to it in the letter of resignation Jobs sent to Apple's board on Wednesday and later released publicly.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," wrote Jobs, who has been on medical leave since January. Cook has been filling in as the company's leader.

FULL STORY ON CNNMONEY.COM
Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Technology
  1. James Benet

Hope your health is ok Steve, wish you the best!

August 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom

This guy has done more to change the way we live & think about new ways to get things done than many others. He'll join a number of greats that have many more gives than takes. Long term outlook on the stock should be positive that there's a managed transition with Jobs endorsing the next generation.

August 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Trav

Hmmm... maybe now they'll start putting out computers that don't cost 50% more than other machines that can do all the same things?

Oh well, we can dream.

August 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trav

Hmm... yep, sound like Apple fans.

And I wouldn't buy Dell if they paid me. Building my own machine would probably save just as much as whatever they were paying. They're as bad as Apple.

That would be a nice analogy by the way, if a Ferrari drove like a Honda.

August 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

Don't worry with your perspective Trav...I don't think you'll ever experience what it feels like to drive in a Ferrari...much less own a quality peice of technology...Sad little man

August 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trav

Really?

Sticking an inflated price tag on something does it make it "quality technology," it makes it "overpriced technology." Macs are designed for the uninformed user. That doesn't make them better.

And you're right, I probably won't ever drive in a Ferrari. Let me try my tears, and think about how you won't either since you spent all your money on overpriced technology.

August 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trav

Oh by the way, I wish Jobs well in his health. It would be unfortunate to lose a mind such as his.

But a great mind doesn't make his products any more of a rip-off. It just means he's a good businessman, and people are dumb.

August 24, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul B

Trav, you don't like Apple, and you wouldn't be paid to buy a Dell. You wanna build your own? Trav, are you using the middle school libraries computers again. You get what you pay for spend and you'll buy a Apple, don't spend and you can use the paper cups and the string

August 24, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trav

If you got what you paid for, every Mac would come with a diamond ring.

August 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MASTRODAMUS

I guess his life will be ending soon. Oh well, just another reason for CNN to report on Crapple some more. F U CNN!

August 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trish

You are sick, rude and probably a very lonely person. I feel sorry for you.

August 24, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. zooni

OK all you Apple mindless fan boys. Apple computers are made in China not the US. If they where made in the US jobs would be a concern. The Apple store will still be open. Apple has more money than the US. Why is this. Because like many corporations they have been using subsidized labor in China at the cost of American jobs. Apple isn't your pal, it's a corporation who's sole focus is making money.

August 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John Struemph

Steve, my heartfelt best wishes go out to you. I hope you get better. You have a great vision and have built that company twice. If you cannot continue for health reasons then my prayers are with you, this planet is a better world for your contributions.... John

August 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff

Will miss you Steve. You did a great job!

August 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robert

I traded in my iPhone for a smart phone about 4 months ago.

August 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Arffy

Ok, was watching Wolf Blitzer live on CNN when the news was announced during the hand-off between an upcoming story...I think that Kate Baldwin the co-host must have been going over her comments regarding her next story in her head due to her comment "that must be a pretty wild story" as she rushed into her section of the news....pretty weak, pay attention to what's going on before you droll out such an inattentive remark.

Prayers and thoughts are with Steve Jobs and his loved ones...you have built an Icon in this world...

August 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Trish

Best wishes. Steve Jobs has been such an innovative CEO and a motivator for his employees. I'm sure Tim Cook will take the reigns and continue to implement the world's best technology. All of the expertise lies with Apple.

August 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Name*

May GOD bless Steve Jobs and his family,
    you're in my prayers.

August 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

Got to love how these announce this after the markets are already closed.. ha ha ha ha suckers! Can we say iShorts?

August 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

You guys are going to have some really nice looking iShorts this summer!! bawhahahahahah

August 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Trish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey will you guys do me a favor and visit HelpFaye.ORG , a friend of mine is fighting for her life... Thanks

August 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Glynn.B.Eck

Somewhere there is an HP exec wishing he'd just held out a little longer before shutting down his mobile and tablet line. FAIL

August 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |