On the Radar: Hurricane Irene, the hunt for Gadhafi, Apple's future, unemployment
A NOAA satellite image shows Hurricane Irene in the Caribbean Sea.
August 25th, 2011

Irene

Officials in a stretch of coastal North Carolina ordered all visitors to evacuate ahead of Hurricane Irene, which damaged homes in the Bahamas on Wednesday as it churned toward the U.S. East Coast. Irene, with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph, could jump to Category 4 strength on Thursday, the National Hurricane Center said. Federal emergency management officials had a simple message for those in or near the path: Be prepared.

Libya

The future of Libya remained in question Thursday even as rebels moved to solidify their hold on power, while fighters battled forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi and the hunt intensified for the embattled leader. Elsewhere, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was to meet in Milan with the interim prime minister, Mahmoud Jibril of the National Transitional Council, and the Libya Contact Group was to meet in Istanbul.

Steve Jobs

The tech world is reeling from Wednesday evening's news that iconic innovator Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple Inc.

What has Jobs meant for Apple, for technology and for the economy? And who is Tim Cook, the executive who is taking over for him?

Employment

The Labor Department's weekly jobless claims figures will be out at 8:30 a.m. ET. Investors are looking for unemployment claims to fall by 8,000, to 400,000 claims. President Obama is honing his jobs plan while vacationing on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.

African famine

The African Union holds a summit meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to pledge help for the victims of the drought in the Horn of Africa. According to the United Nations, some 640,000 children are threatened with acute malnutrition. The U.N. is seeking private and government donors.

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

What?
    My post about bottled-water food-stamp fraud didn't make the cut?
    Too conservative for CNN?

August 25, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. s kel

damn my post on corperate welfare didn,t post either, hummm too liberial for cnn .

August 25, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

SO alot of peoples unemployments benefits have expired Whopee thats a great cause for celebration Good mourning jif and my brother skel

August 25, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Guten Morgen, gung hoe!
    For the record, I don't splurge on bottled water. I drink tap water, and I work my behind off.
    The only occasion for bottled water in my house is a plumbing emergency.

August 25, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Jackie Dyer

There is no need to fight when the biggest thing ever in my 13 years of life is going to happen... 🙂

August 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gung hoe

All the self employed people out of work dont even get counted

August 25, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

We need to loan the rebels our combat dogs to sniff out that piece of crap Gahdafi And when the dogs find him let the dogs feed on him

August 25, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jackie Dyer

If this hurricane is really going to happen, what should my family do to prepare for it?? My mom thinks we shouldn't prepare... what do we do??

August 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat2u

Latest tracking says this is probably going to take a bite out of the Big Apple. Hunker down everyone. Perfect place to have a hurricane party. If you do a have a party, drink a HURRICANE for me. Try one, it's a very good drink. Good luck everybody.

August 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Batten down the hatches, it's going to be a doozy!
    Good luck, everyone!

I absolutely used to *hate* making this drink when I bartended...although they are good, they're just a bit too sweet for me.
    I prefer a dirty martini, (extra olives) as many people here know!

August 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

You are very correct. It is a sweet drink, but a couple of them and your head WILL spin like a hurricane. lol Got introduced to that drink at Pat O'Brians down on Bourbon st. in Nawlins.

My preference is Chivas and soda sometimes with a lime twist.

August 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joseph O'Leary

I saw your piece on Rockaway Beach and hurricane floods. When i was a young boy sitting on my fromt porch, I watched Jamaica Bay and the Atlantic Ocean meet. We also got first hand view of the power of the ocean as it ripped the boardwalk apart and pulled the ramps off like they were not even attached. Mother nature is very powerful and folks should heed evacuation warnings.

August 25, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    I agree with you on so many things that I really cannot understand why you would want to do what you do to anything as spiritually satisfying as a martini.
    Please, some evening before you've had even wine for lunch–or maybe even if you did–before eating anything at all, try it my way.
    (Olives–yucchhh.)
    In a chilled glass, put almost 100% Beefeater gin that was bone-chilled in a metal shaker with ice put there after a splash of Noilly Prat dry vermouth had been quickly swirled and then emptied from it.
    Put in one (1) politely pinched lemon twist that I know you know how to cut without any white mess left inside.
    Olives? I like them black and plentiful for munching.
    I think that I like gin more than you do.
    Anyway, cheers.

August 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. George Bush

Its those damn west coast rappers tryin 2 dis the east coast again! And ur right- I dont care about black people. Espescially when they come over, drink all my cuervo, dont even smoke me up and then get elected as president because they are so opressed.

August 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Will the real George Bush please stand up and spell oppressed.
    How about potato?

August 25, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Barak Obama

It must be some white man conspircy thing. I'm the first black Pres. This ain't suposed to be happenin under my watch man.

August 26, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. tim

Why don't all three of you go play in the sand pile with the rest of the children and leave the blogs for us grownups.

August 26, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |