Irene update: Death toll at 43; 2.85 million still without power
Hurricane Irene unleashed floodwaters in Shelburne, Massachusetts.
August 30th, 2011

Irene update: Death toll at 43; 2.85 million still without power

[Updated at 6:42 p.m. ET] The death toll from Hurricane Irene stands at 43 across 12 states, with officials in New Hampshire reporting a death linked to the storm.

Here is a state-by-state tally of the deaths:

New York - 8
New Jersey - 7
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
Delaware - 2
Maryland - 2
Florida - 2
Massachusetts - 1
New Hampshire - 1

Authorities are trying to determine whether an additional death reported in New York is connected to the storm.

Read details of the deaths.

[Updated at 6:13 p.m. ET] The death toll stands at 42 across 11 states, with officials in Maryland linking a second death to the storm.

[Updated at 3:44 p.m. ET] A total of 2.85 million customers still are without power because of Hurricane Irene, the U.S. Department of Energy says.

[Updated at 2:48 p.m. ET] The death toll from Hurricane Irene stands at 41 across 11 states, with officials in Florida linking a second death to the storm.

[Updated at 2:46 p.m. ET] The death toll from Hurricane Irene stands at 40 across 11 states, with the New York State Office of Emergency Management reporting two more deaths in the storm.

[Updated at 10:23 a.m. ET] A total of 3.3 million customers are still without power due to Hurricane Irene, the Department of Energy said Tuesday.

[Updated at 8:59 a.m. ET] Emergency officials report at least 38 people in 11 states have died as a result of Hurricane Irene.
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
New York - 6
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
New Jersey - 7
Maryland - 1
Florida - 1
Massachusetts - 1
Delaware - 2

[Updated at 7:42 a.m. ET] Emergency officials report at least 36 people in 10 states have died as a result of Hurricane Irene.
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
New York - 6
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
New Jersey - 7
Maryland - 1
Florida - 1
Massachusetts - 1

[Updated at 7:24 a.m. ET] Authorities in Massachusetts have confirmed another death related to Hurricane Irene.

A man was electrocuted in the town of Southbridge after he touched the railing of an aluminum porch that also had been struck by a power line, said Peter Judge, a spokesman for the  Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

The death brings CNN's tally of hurricane related deaths to 28.

Post by:
Filed under: Hurricane Irene • Hurricanes • Massachusetts • Tropical weather
  1. s kel

AzHitman . Lol you a beliver?? In what lack of compassion?

August 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sam The Gay Crossdressing Cowboy Snake Ghost

Sssssss... Tee Hee... Ssssss....

August 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

It is my name, citizen.
    And, f@*k off.

August 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. To be seen

Like when a "holy man" frowns and contorts his face while praying in public to be seen by others, those like him feel compelled to show a public face of sympathy each and every time a disaster occurs.

August 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. citizen

"banasy" is not a real name, let alone your real name as you say.

August 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

citizen, I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
    banasy is a real name, and it is mine.
    Like it or not.

August 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. citizen

The same ones who feel compelled to show a public face of compassion defend openly gay priests caught red-handed having multiple relationships with other males.(many of whom are under the age of 18)...even going so far as to minimize their crimes as if they were mere sins.

August 30, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Legal dilemna for holy men (off topic. do not read)

A holy man standing trial for molesting strictly boys is in a bit of a dilemna. If he doesn't admit being gay, the prosecuting attorney could then demonstrate that this "holy" man could control his urges, for he had demonstrated this when he was around girls. The jury would then conclude that this man should face the harshest penalty. If he admitted the reason he only chose boys was because he was gay, the jury might be more inclined to show some compassion.

August 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

citizen, compassion only has one face, compassionate.
    What you're talking about is much different.
    I abhor pedophilia.
    If that's what you're talking about, I am against it.
    I abhor pedophiles who are priests.
    If that's what you're talking about, I'm against it.
    I do *not* abhor gay people.
    I do *not* abhor gay marriage.
    I abhor AIDS, too, but *not* the people it afflicts.
    I have never belittled the grave suffering of pedophile or r@pe victims, either.
    Never.
    I also abhor thread hijacking, which you are attempting to do.
    I a done with this subject.

August 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@citezen:
    I also abhor people who try to blackmail their friends in order to get them to agree with whatever they say.

NOW I'm done!

August 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cypher News Network

Nobody knows anything about anything, because of all the word games and misinformation being played. It's no wonder people get hurt or worse. You're not only expected to be a mind reader, but a master cypher. Things are made confusing on purpose. How dare any of you act superior.

August 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@CNN:
    Superior to what?

August 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Banasy's Baby

Happy Birthday, Mum!

August 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. justathought

WOW!!!! I didn'r read all these posts, but reads like a Christian vs. atheists forum. I thought it was about the latest news. But, I'll put in my two cents worth, actually question. Why is it so bad of God to take someone out of this sin infested world to a more glorious place to live? I would think that death would be something to celibrate not to critisize a crule God. If there is someplace better than this world to live I would sure like to go there! Death isn't so bad.

August 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cypher News Network

@Justathought: Christians are not true believers. They worship a man, not God. They are no better than the atheists. Jesus told people not to worship men (including himself), but they aren't listening. Now the cult of personality has gotten out of control.

@banasy: Superior to anyone else. Nobody is better than anyone else. I'd like to do an audit of all these know it alls lives and see how many mistakes I can find. 🙂

August 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cypher News Network

@justathought: It's not bad. I welcome death and I wish those who inflict serious pain on others pay for it for an eternity. We are being fooled into believing that all the fun of being young, all the thrills of falling in love and all the good things we know are only here in this life and this universe. I personally want all the good things of this planet minus the hate, lies, corruption, stealing, cheating and backstabbing. That is my heaven. It does exist despite what some here may tell you. Welcome death. It's your only way out of here.

August 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bribarian

Maybe this is a dumb question and flame me if you want, but how do you die in a hurricane you knew was coming? What is the actual cause of death in these cases?

August 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |