September 1st, 2011

3.4-magnitude quake hits Virginia

A 3.4-magnitude earthquake rattled Mineral, Virginia, early Thursday, nine days after a 5.8-magnitude temblor in the same area shook up much of the eastern United States.

Thursday's quake, which struck at 5:09 a.m., was centered four miles south-southeast of Mineral at a depth of about three miles, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Natural Disasters
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

That's not a very big earthquake.
    A friend from California told me, "the people in the East don't know what to do. We were taught how to stay safe."

September 1, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh yea?

That may be so, but I somehow doubt if it snowed 8 feet in one day you would know what to do...where I come from? That's tuesday.

September 1, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • undies

A friend from Alaska told me, "Joey Isotta-Fraschini is an idiot".

September 1, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • whoknew

Well I'd like to see you West coasters deal with an earthquake, hurricane after hurricane, blizzard after blizzard in the winters, AND the happenings of 9/11. We East coasters are pretty tough! You would cower and run to your cigar and wine bars.

September 1, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Sorry folks,I didn't post that offensive post above. Some joker is using my name to make a fool out of me. He must be a fan of Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann to use such tea party lingo. The right-wing thugs in Washington have more focus and more energy in the horrible war than any earthquake, even if it is in Virginia. When will they stop! The war cannot keep going. Those war supporting Washington thugs have to go. It's as simple as that!

September 1, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Huh?

You DO realize that the Republicans aren't in charge of the war making policy anymore right? You realize that only Obama can end their deployment now?

Anytime Barry feels like it, he can. But he hasn't. And he won't. He's a puppet, just like Bush.

September 1, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan the Red

Frankly, the 'correction' was dumber than the original post. Please talk to your shrink about that paranoia issue some more. You may be surprised that some of us on the right don't really care about you at all...

September 1, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • JonnieDanger

Oh no DantheRed, that comes as no surprise at all.

September 1, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nick

This is not strong at all. There were about 20 larger earthquakes in the world that day. Feels like this was reported to induce a bit of a scare in the wake of all the recent natural disaster occurrences.

September 1, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Exactly. The problem is most news outlets are run by people with the mindset of children trying to appeal to the general populace who have the mindset of children. Its all about shock value and "Gasp, oh my gosh, look what happened... again!" It's insulting and sad.

September 1, 2011 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Or it was reported because it was the largest earthquake in Virginia in over 100 years. This is a strange occurrence for Virginians who don't normally experience earthquakes. People are bound to be scared of the unkown.

September 1, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
    • whoknew

True. This wouldn't have been newsworthy if it hadn't happened right after the last one, and Hurricane Irene. No fear here. We actually thought it was pretty cool!

September 1, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. RuffNutt

Good post Joey Isotta-Fraschini,thank you. You said it all.

September 1, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Nick

There goes another troll. He's stealing my name. I never posted the above. Some tea party clown is using my name. I'll tell you what gets my goat,RuffNutt. You have all these right-wing extremists posting their right-wing bla bla bla when will it end! It makes me so sick! Won't be long before that clown banasy steals my name and posts her tea party mumbo-jumbo. Disgraceful!

September 1, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Billford S. Sykes

More hype, folks.

September 1, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Hayley B

I felt it in Locust Grove, VA. Although not that big...I've lived on the east coast my whole life and until last weeks 5.8 I never felt an earthquake before...SO anything we can feel is a big deal to us!

September 1, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jim big buck

when will the big eartquake hit? I ready for some biscuits and gravy from hardee's yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeee

September 1, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. George in PA

Their slogan is "Virginia is for lovers", maybe they really do feel the "earth move under my feet..."

September 1, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. David

Come on CNN. If you are going to report on the 3.4 quake, you need to mention the other 15 smaller ones that have hit the area in the last week. Folks, check out the http://www.usgs.gov website for a list of quakes.

September 1, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. Huh?

Sorry folks,I didn't post the above. Some tea partying clown is trying to be funny. GW and the right-wing thugs got us into this obscene war. Those war mongers have cost the tax payers billions per month. This puts us more and more in the red. I'm disgusted in Washington!

September 1, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My wife makes a bigger earthquake when she walks across the room

September 1, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • whoknew

So do many women these days – look around – our country has an Obesity EPIDEMIC! Could be the reason we have had so many earthquakes in this country – Colorado, now Virginia. Where they don't usually happen. Lay off the McDonald's people!!!!!!!

September 1, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

We had an earthquake upstate years ago–an hour's drive north of NYC, near the Indian Point nuclear facility and the Ramapo Fault–that moved a fence on our property to about a 30-degree angle. There was a loud, sustained rumbling noise like a train or truck coming through the lawn and house on a cloudless day.
    All authorities denied that an earthquake occurred but admitted that there had been many inquiries about "something."
    I don't trust the government completely, regardless of whom we elect.

September 1, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Beaverdam David

I live a few miles from Mineral, VA. It was enough to wake my wife and I up and scare the cats off the bed. Felt more like an after shock.

September 1, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Terrance Wood

I see this quake wasn't strong enough to free idle minds from the workshop. I didn't post this; it was all in your head. I am a good person, an important person. The world wouldn't be the same without me. The ground is rustling, and it's saying, "I'm not touching you!" This quake was caused by Buddhist Monks, their war-mongering agenda of destruction, and the recent breaking of the some sixly seal, as performed by Wanyan Aguda. Those religious nuts the ones stealing all our tea, our grass, and our hay. Everything is going to be OKAY .

September 1, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |