September 1st, 2011

3.4-magnitude quake hits Virginia

A 3.4-magnitude earthquake rattled Mineral, Virginia, early Thursday, nine days after a 5.8-magnitude temblor in the same area shook up much of the eastern United States.

Thursday's quake, which struck at 5:09 a.m., was centered four miles south-southeast of Mineral at a depth of about three miles, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Natural Disasters
  1. JJ

Wierd people. Right wing left wing who cares? The article is about a small earth quake. People in the east are not accustom to such things so for them it is news.

September 1, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Terrance Wood

^ I didn't post that! ^ Some employee of the State of Antarctica did that.

September 1, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Some JIF posts above are not by JIF.
    The earthquake post is mine.
    The description of my wife's walking is not mine.

September 1, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. g.r.r.

It will be interesting to see if virginia gets hit by a 6.0, if cantor will continue to scream that money for FEMA must come from elsewhere.

September 1, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Terrance Wood

In all seriousness, JIF, have you used the 'Report abuse' link? You'd think they would have implemented a way to filter such a problem, by now.

September 1, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. the prophet

Join the revolution let's clean things up

September 1, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. David

Good grief George in PA! You must be a fan of Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann with such tea party lingo. The right-wing thugs in Washington are dropping bombs in the Middle East with those disgusting American made drones. This is a daily occurance. This has to stop! When will it end! Those right-wing Washington thugs have to go. It's as simple as that.

September 1, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, undies.
    Tell your "friend from Alaska" that I said to FO.
    I'm the real JIF, and I approve this message.

September 1, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. the prophet

Governments are not telling us the truth behind theses accurances, too must state secrecy while we the people have been impoverished by their subordinations

September 1, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jim Diamond

As a Virginian, I apologize to the country for the embarrassing Eric Cantor. It is a testament to apathy at the voting booth that this dolt got elected. He is a poor choice for a leader, and acts like a little boy more than half the time..."if Eric doesn't get his way, he stews and sulks". I will work to be sure he does not get re-elected...he is truly disturbing and gives the state a black eye. Go away Eric...go away!

September 1, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • chhezdoodles

boo hoo, I don't like Cantor. I'm personally going to make sure he doesn't et re-elected... Yes, I'm sure you are more than capable of changing a majority of Virginia's political affiliations.

September 1, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Beaverdam David

Sorry to say, he's my congressman. Just how many pounds of lemons must he go thru a year to keep that sour look on his face. Even his fellow jews here are embarrassed by him.

September 1, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The 7:52 Joey Isotta-Fraschini is a fraud. I am the true JIF. I have an ulcer. I'm in PAIN! I must rest and skip work for today. BTW I approved this message.

September 1, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Terrance Wood

Joey, not that you seem to care–I'm not your adversary here. Unless, you otherwise would prefer to launch further baseless grammatical assaults. Then, I'm only an adversary in your own mind. If only this tin foil would turn off the voices.

Earthquakes happen all the time. I don't see the point in trolling here, except someone that is willing to accept that A = A = false. Might you have said something, to upset someone? Nay, that wouldn't ever happen to someone so willing to say, "FO."

September 1, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. Eric Cantor

Good Grief Jim Diamond,you must be a member of the tea-party with such right-wing mumbo-jumbo. Obviously,you support the war in the Middle East. Where is your shame Jim! How disgusting!

September 1, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. TheGlow

I LIVE in Northern Virginia, I could care less about this story. The earthquake was out of the norm, and I'll be honest and admit that I was a bit worried about going back to my high-rise apartment as I had no idea what, if any buildings have a minimum magnitutde they're built to withstand in a region that rarely experiences earthquakes. And you know what happened the day after the earthquake hit and I slept comfortably in my place? I forgot all about it until I got into work and everyone was talking about it.

This serves no purpose outside of getting people all riled up for something that's no big deal.

September 1, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. Terrance Wood

TheGlow, I agree. All it did for me was to help dissolve my Chantix, from all that frequent vibrational goodness.

September 1, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |