September 1st, 2011

3.4-magnitude quake hits Virginia

A 3.4-magnitude earthquake rattled Mineral, Virginia, early Thursday, nine days after a 5.8-magnitude temblor in the same area shook up much of the eastern United States.

Thursday's quake, which struck at 5:09 a.m., was centered four miles south-southeast of Mineral at a depth of about three miles, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Natural Disasters
  1. Terrance Wood

Sorry folks,I didn't post the above. Some joker has hi-jacked my name. My goodness. Are you a fan of Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann? You must be. Will you please cut it out. Just stop all your right-wing mumbo-jumbo. You're not fooling anyone. You and the right-wing thugs in Washington have to go. It's as simple as that!

September 1, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  2. J.T.M.

The only reason that this is hitting the news is that here in Virginia we just don't get earth quakes. If this was calif. we would not even think about it.

September 1, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Terrance Wood

Your poor grammar is unbecoming of you, Terrance. What's the matter, can't think of anything more original to say? You can't troll a figment of your imagination.

September 1, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Skull Pirate

I knew I felt something this morning. (I live in Spotsylvania, VA)

September 1, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jesus

The Big one is coming!

September 1, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bertie

Not to worry, it was just my youngest daughter throwing a temper tantrum!

September 1, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. John B

I'm going to be VERY upset if the East Coast falls into the ocean after everyone said it's going to be the West Coast first. Just ticked I tell you!

September 1, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. R.J. Connors

It is a well-known fact that the practice of 'Fracking' causes small quakes, even swarms of small quakes, similar to the effects of magma moving in a volcanic zone. It creates a similar action of compressed gases and liquids upon otherwise stable rock formations. Small quakes CAN trigger larger quakes simply by creating new stresses where they would not normally exist. Fracking is the practice of pumping high-pressure waste liquids into the earth to crack rock in order to release natural gas and force it to the well. I would be curious to know if it is being used in Virginia.

September 1, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • RS

I did not know that about fracking. I would like to know more.

September 1, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschin, vain, compulsive, idiotic dudei

@ Terrance Wood:
    Any time that one achieves anything unusual and gets a good bit of attention, many humans will resent that person's success and even his existence.
    That's back to my piano teacher's lecture when I was eleven years old.
    The good persons here do not resent me or my attempting to share knowledge that has helped me.
    I'm off to the gym. It's legs day in my rotation, then I have a full afternoon of giving lessons to professional musicians.
    Signed,
    6%-bodyfat, Obsessive, Vain Idiot JIF

September 1, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrance Wood

I think all that typing you've been doing is causing the subduction zones to shift. That trolling you're doing, it is a mighty telling sign. You've lost touch with the resonance of the Earth. It's not touching you!

September 1, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschin, vain, compulsive, idiotic dude

The above name was my intention above, not "dudel" or whatever printed.
    Just plain "vain dude."

September 1, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. bubba

thats great,it starts with an earthquake,birds snakes an airplanes,lenny bruce is not afraid...lalallallallallallallallall

September 1, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Trish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, will you guys do me a favor and visit HelpFaye.ORG. A friend of mine is fighting for her life.. Thank You

September 1, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrance Wood

I'm going to die if you do not send me 1 gazillion dollars of those stolen charity funds you're receiving by trolling massive amounts of commenting forums. Please, don't let me die.

September 1, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. the prophet

Las Vegas will be hit next with a massive 7.9 and the territory will drop 1000 feet below sea level

September 1, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrance Wood

Do you know what happens to a false swearer? Take a look at Malachi 3.

September 1, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jesus

We have less then two months until the end, or the end as we know it 😦

September 1, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrance Wood

I knew I was here, for a reason. All nonsense aside:

You, and 'the prophet' are good reasons to remain, for this short time over. You both should read Ezekiel 3, as it is for which I speak to you, against your paths. Neither of you speak for God, nor are either of you His only begotten. The only unforgivable Sin is to blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which proceeds from Him. Unlike many men, I can wield the Sword of Life, and yet, it will not swing against humanity, in two months. So says the LORD of Hosts.

What does a believer in Chirst, have in common with a follower of Belial? Ask yourself that. Such words, proceed from the one without a yoke.

The Father, who has sent me, has these words for you. Nonetheless, what does it matter; when one prefers to follow Hate, Fears, and Lies? These words are truly for those that accept the Holy Spirit:

Fear not and let Him carry your burdens.

September 1, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. the prophet

You want to talk about false, all that our Governements do is false, all that the we are though is false, The Lord’s messenger will prepare the way for the Second Coming

September 1, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Terrance Wood

Your heart is failing you for fear.

September 1, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |