September 2nd, 2011

Gulf system intensifies into Tropical Storm Lee

[6:35 p.m. ET] A state of emergency has been declared in Biloxi, Mississippi, in anticipation of Tropical Storm Lee, Mayor AJ Holloway told CNN.

[2:30 p.m. ET] A slow-moving tropical system with the potential to douse summer-ending beach plans and bring up to 20 inches of flooding rain to parts of the Gulf Coast strengthened into a tropical storm Friday afternoon, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Tropical Storm Lee could bring winds of 65 mph when it makes landfall this weekend, CNN meteoroloigist Sean Morris said.

The state of Louisiana and 10 of its parishes had declared states of emergency as of Friday afternoon, Gov. Bobby Jindal said. LaFourche Parish and the city of Grand Isle also issued voluntary evacuation orders, he said.

"This is going to be a slow-moving storm. It's going to bring a lot of rain," Jindal said.

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour also declared a state of emergency for portions of southern Mississippi expected to be affected by the storm.

The storm was likely to reach land in the next 48 hours, forecasters said.

The storm is over water as warm as 90 degrees and atmospheric conditions that are limiting its development should become more favorable to strengthening over the next 24 hours, CNN meteorologist Sean Morris said.

Tropical storm-force winds are being reported at several oil rigs in the Gulf, according to Morris and the National Hurricane Center.

The current track suggests a possible landfall west of Morgan City, Louisiana on Sunday morning, Morris said.

Tropical storm warnings were up for the Gulf coast from Pascagoula, Mississippi to Sabine Pass, Texas.

Post by:
Filed under: Tropical weather • Weather
  1. nancy

We pray everyone will be ok.

September 3, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

i think they should name the storm "Tropical Storm "general" Lee "

September 3, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@ruffnutt: would the horn play dixie? Lol

September 3, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( fuel maker and chemist )

that would be the strom warnning signal..

September 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tim

@CultofPersonality; this could actually produce a lot more rain than Katrina which is what caused all the damage then. Not to worry however, they have a much more intelligent Governor now. He's already called a state of emergency which gives FEMA the authority to go in and held. The clowns in charge during Katrina took 4 days after the hurricane hit before doing so.

September 3, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. tim

Help not held-my mistake.

September 3, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. tim

@Leeintulsa. @theprophet. @blocked. Actually it's the dumb @ss program they use to censor out certain words, for instance, you can't post the word consti tution without splitting it because of t it. You also can't use the word r ape even though they use it in an article. It's just a moronic program nothing else.

September 3, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( fuel maker and chemist )

but you can say..–> big giant pulsating dick... just dont say ja-pan

September 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat2u

@banasy
    re: Your question to me at 2: 54 pm on Sept. 2 in the space junk story.
    You said Ork, my eyes saw OK. I apologize for that. My eyes are getting old and obviously dyslexic.
    In answer to your questions :
    1. Yes, I am from Ork.
    2.No, I joined the 21st century and now where solid color suspenders.
    And as a side note, I still have my egg parked in my garage.

Peace and prosperity,
    Mork

September 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

And what of Mearth? He's gotta be a young man by now 😉

September 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Princesse de Lamballe

@tim:
    That's exactly right.
    It's a computer filter program.
    No real conspiracy here...

September 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Hi, bobcat2u.

I had an egg parked in my garage once.
    It was an AMC Pacer.
    How are you this fine Saturday?

Hi, TS leeintulsa.

Still fighting the good fight, I see.

Ruffie, still fighting the elves, I see.
    Get em, big guy!

Hello, JIF.
    Always nice to see you.
    I'm thinking of changing my name to Princesse de Lamballe...keeping up with the whole "Marie Antoinette" saga.
    What do you think?

September 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: someone has to.. And you'll always be banasy to me..

September 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat2u

@banasy
    Hi !! We're currently getting swamped down here due to TS leeintulsa. lol
    Wow ! AMC Pacer. I haven't heard that name in like eons. We better be carefull, we're starting to tell our age. My grand daughter tells me I'm so old that I invented dirt.

@leeintulsa
    Hi !! You should have aime a bit more to the west. They needed this rain a lot more over in Texas. Better aim next time.

September 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@bobcat2u: i tried. Like i said, i was getting pretty lit by the end. There's alot of dancing involved. Which means alot of inebriant..

September 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat2u

@leeintulsa

In regards to Mearth ! He is doing very well. Thanks for asking. And I gave Mindy a new nickname. It's Three Old Horses. You know, NAG – NAG – NAG

September 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

bobcat2u:

I hope you and yours keep safe and secure.

What are you talking about, showing my age?
    It was my great-granpa's.
    I'm 19.

*******Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!*******

September 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Ah, Jonathan Winters.
    Whatta guy.
    And I'll take Mindy's real-life husband anytime...
    Although I would hate to let Paul go....he's such a good egg....

September 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. leeintulsa

@banasy: can you believe that guys still alive?? Saw him on the first showtime 'green room'

legendary, and kids don't know him

September 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat2u

@banasy

I actually stopped at 39 ! But now I've lost count on when that was. lol

September 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Ah, I'll probably just keep banasy.
    leeintulsa, are there any videos of you on YouTube?
    I would *pay* to see you dancing, especially after inbibing in firewater...

bobcat2u:
    I just say that I'm celebrating the 14th anniversary of my 39th birthday....

September 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |