September 3rd, 2011

7.0 earthquake strikes near Vanuatu in South Pacific

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 struck Sunday morning off the southern tip of the South Pacific archipelago of Vanuatu, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake struck about 75 miles (122 km) southeast of Isangel, the administrative capital of the island of Tanna, and 134 miles (217 km) northeast of New Caledonia's Loyalty Islands.

A tsunami alert has not been issued for the South Pacific or the U.S. western coast.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Vanuatu
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

I really didn't completely believe my friend when he said we"re living in the end times. I now know I won't be like those of Noah's day and ignore the obvious signs of the begining of the end. Wait and see when the last few wars are in progress, remember my post here, please! please don't ignore God don't wait, don't be like fools festing on your contentness of this world and your life here.
    I know some of you may think I sound like a freak but it's not really, just look around and listen.
    What more can we progress in, is there something beyond the COMPUTER!!!!! aww , you know what I mean.
    God is the ONLY one is will NEVER forsake you! trust me.
    LOVE YOU ALL, through Gods eyes. 🙂

September 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • 101010101

people have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time and it still hasn't happened yet, i doubt any earthquakes, volcano eruptions, or storms are a sign of the end of the world...call me when we know a giant meteor is on its way to earth and maybe ill get a little worried.

September 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darwin

There's just one problem with that line of thinking 101010101, look what that earthquake/tsunami did to J@pan. As for volcanoes, if Yellowstone were to erupt it would pretty much be the end of life as we know it. You should fear and respect these things a little more. I think of us as ants..... and Earth as a giant foot. However, I don’t suggest living in fear either. When it happens we’ll be powerless to stop it anyway. I just live like everyday is my last.

September 5, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jordan scene©

The question I'd like an answer to is; is this an actually upward trend in earthquakes and tropical storms, or is this just the media trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill? Up until recently I haven't been that interested enough to pour over USGS records and weather records to see. But ill just assume this is nature taking its course as always.

September 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martha

It's just nature taking its course. Check out USGS, there are hundreds of quakes.

September 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • PJB

Interestingly, this last 6 months or so have included more seismic activity than any other similar time period since historical records exist. While this is a tiny time period compared to geologic time, it is significant from a mathematical viewpoint.

September 3, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • 101010101

Or we can just record them better through technology which was not available in the past

September 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • RS

To answer your question, there IS a trend of increasing rate of natural disasters occurring in **POPULATED** areas (tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.). Natural disasters as a whole are still occurring at an arguably standard rate globally, though. I do not know the exact reasoning as to why (I would suppose human expansion? But that answers your question I hope.)

September 3, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Do a quick check of the most powerful quakes in history. I'm sure people in the period 1957-1965 were thinking the same sorts of things.

There is some evidence that major seismic events cluster. We may be in a cluster now, as we were in the 50s and 60s.

September 4, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzz

opps, hope you don't mind...but while I was google insecurity I found these passages, thought maybe some of you would find them useful for what ever is going on in your life.

Rev. 21:7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

John 3:9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

James 1:4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

September 3, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |

Posting passages from a fiction novel doesn't mean anything.

September 3, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Jordon scene©
    Okie Dokie... The door to the ARK will be closing in ten minutes.

September 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Martha, thanks for proving my point!

September 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzz ü

This one's for all the Good Germans who helped the Jews in the holocost... 🙂

September 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jordan scene©

@Jazzzzzzz, I will never be one to discount your beliefs, but I will not be boarding any Ark, literal or proverbial, its just not for me. Although I do feel Holy scripture often carries a good message, it isn't something I choose to live my life by. As Martha said, this is the course of nature, and I believe in letting nature take its course. I will have to check the USGS one of these days when I have a particularly slow day at work. I hope this 7.0 EQ doesn't result in any kind of tsunami or related natural disaster, I think we've had enough of those for this week.

September 3, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzz ü

Ok, and I won't be the lecturer.
    Good night and nice to meet ya. 🙂

September 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fernace

Yes, yes it is indeed the end days! Next year is our last & I, for 1, am gonna "Party Like It's 1999" !" I was dreaming when a wrote this, forgive me if I go astray, but when I woke up this morning coulda sworn it was judgement day.....So 2012 party over, oops outta time, so tonite I'm gonna party 'til it's 1999! " Thanks, Prince!!

September 3, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzz ü

@ Fernace... LOL cute and the ARK door will always be open for ya pal 🙂

September 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jordan scene©

Thankyou for you consideration though nonetheless, Jazzzzzzzz! Have yourself a good night and a good holiday weekend. Fernace, I would also party like its 1999, but there isn't much to a party when you were only 9 years old lol.

September 3, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jehovah's witness

This is the perfect opportunity for me to educate you all on all the wonders of our lord and savior Jesus the Christ.

September 3, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL!

No, there is no wonder in any myths.

September 3, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Are you allowed to have a computer? Or is it just alcohol and caffeine that are forbidden?

September 4, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Antonio

Please to all who have hears and eyes! look we are being warned get your hearts and souls ready for the upcoming events For the lord jesus is coming! If you haven't, please give your heart to christ for he is the ONLY one who can save you!
    John 3:16!

September 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL!

Once again, a myth can do nothing.

September 3, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. raven

It's nice warm weather...

September 4, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |