September 3rd, 2011

7.0 earthquake strikes near Vanuatu in South Pacific

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 struck Sunday morning off the southern tip of the South Pacific archipelago of Vanuatu, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake struck about 75 miles (122 km) southeast of Isangel, the administrative capital of the island of Tanna, and 134 miles (217 km) northeast of New Caledonia's Loyalty Islands.

A tsunami alert has not been issued for the South Pacific or the U.S. western coast.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Vanuatu
  1. raven

Fine. It starts getting cool here pretty soon. But I love alaska...

September 4, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

I bet. Not cool here yet. I do like winter. *Some parts* anyway.

September 4, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. raven

I really enjoy a hot cup of coco during cold weather. It is so soothing and wonderful...

September 4, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

I always put marshmallows in my coco.

September 4, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. raven

Me too...but they melt so fast. It makes me sad.

September 4, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Just throw in marshmallow shaped styrofoam, and pretend they are marshmallows.

And isn't Alaska rather prone to major quakes?

September 4, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

Hello Bimbo. We were just talking about marshmallows in coco. They melt so fast. Have you ever noticed?

September 4, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

I doubt that would work. It *wouldnt taste* the same Bimbo.

September 4, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. raven

Yea Bimbo...we've had our share... Nothing major lately.

September 4, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Just checking the records on USGS. Vanuatu had 2 big ones, a 7.1 and a 7.2, on Aug 20, so this is part of the same ongoing thing.

September 4, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Hey banasy and raven. Not many trolls after midnight, I see.

September 4, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. raven

I wish that marshmallows would last longer in my coco.

September 4, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. raven

Nice try,troll. But Im not IN Alaska now. Wasnt banasy either. Not sure why youre doin this but knock yourself out, I guess. Simple things amuse simple minds.

September 4, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

Me too raven. I wish that my marshmallows would last longer in my coco. I see your troll is here.

September 4, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. raven

And as confused about your motives as I am, thank you for not being mean while youre pretending to be me. Pretty warped that Im thanking a troll. sigh.

September 4, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |