September 3rd, 2011

7.0 earthquake strikes near Vanuatu in South Pacific

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 struck Sunday morning off the southern tip of the South Pacific archipelago of Vanuatu, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake struck about 75 miles (122 km) southeast of Isangel, the administrative capital of the island of Tanna, and 134 miles (217 km) northeast of New Caledonia's Loyalty Islands.

A tsunami alert has not been issued for the South Pacific or the U.S. western coast.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Vanuatu
  1. Mmmmm

...and Scottish Mamma you have a bit more faith than you give yourself credit for...what was the last canned food item you purchased at the grocery store?

September 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Spinach for spinach soufla? What is the question meant to tell you?

September 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

No question just facts: It was FAITH in the LABEL of that canned product. A BELIEF that you acted on in your selection, in your payment, when you loaded it in the car, drove it around town, and when brought that product in your home, and placed it on your kitchen counter. You did all that based on FAITH in a piece of paper: labeling. Your belief that this is spinach does not become a FACT until you actually open the can and confirm its contents. So Scottish Momma we know you have faith, it's a gift from God...now if you could just expand that talent beyond the piece of paper and apply it to the One True God you would be using this gift to its fullest potential...advertisers understand your FAITH very well and employ it to sell their products or to deceive the consumer...

September 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Hey bobcat not doin much grillin down yer way are ya

September 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Hi, bobcat2u!

Have fun, Scottish Mama.
    My husband had a fishing trip cancel on him, so we're going to plan B:
    We're all going to my mother-in-laws house for some bbq!
    And my granddaughter gets to go see her great-grandma Ruth!
    Yay!

September 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

My husband is getting ready,s,shower and shave.

September 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat2u

@gung hoe
    Unfortunately no grillin going on, but a whole lot of treading water. lol
    Hope you are being able to enjoy your weekend.

@banasy
    How are you doing today ?
    I see you have been engaged in some, shall we say, spirited conversation again.
    Hope you get your feet back on the ground and enjoy your BBQ. Eat a couple ribs for me.

September 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

It's funny how you think you know someone. Then you find out how fake they are. But I'm free of that problem now.

September 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Celestrial guardian

Jazzzzzzz not to but in, but the spiritual person I have thought I see in you, it is about forgiveness. It lightens your burdens and you can move on.

September 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

btw that's not me
      sorry to disappoint who posted under my name

September 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat2u

There once was this little boy who was born with only a head. His mother would put him out on the porch stoop every day, and he would see all the kids going by on their way to school. One day, he asked his mom where all those kids were going all the time, and she explained they were going to school . He asked his mom why couldn't he go to school too ? She told him it was because he was not like the rest of the kids cause he had no body. But, she said, maybe if you wish real hard, you'll one day be like everyone else. So, he wished and wished and wished. Well, one morning he woke up, and lo and behold, he had a body. He ran out of his bedroom and said look mom, now I'm like all the other kids and can go to school. Well, he got all ready for school and was so excited that he ran out of the house and right into the path of a truck which hit and killed him instantly.

The moral of the story --You should quit while you're a head.

September 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Lol...

September 4, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. the prophe

Once upon a time thare was a lonely man whom had no purpose other then critic averyone else till it became so boring to him, so he asked GOD what Is my purpose? GOD replied your purpose is to listen to averyone else. The man refused and died as he had wished. The moral of the story is what you make of it.

September 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

September 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

One would think that news of our own CIA helping Gadhafi all these years would be more upsetting than the news of Gadhafi seemiingly doing it on his own has been these past few months, but it's not. (shrug)

September 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

...and there are several of you here today who have really chewed my ass about staying "on-topic" over the past several months. What's up with that. Whatis the topic here anyway? he he

September 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

@bobcat2u:

ROTFLMAO!!!
    Here I thought I was going to read a nice, uplifting tale, which it actually is...
    I cracked up!
    Thanks for the laugh!

I hope you and your family survive all of this nasty weather!

September 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

I know the true jazzzzzz. She's an ass_hole.

September 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@Philip:

I know, right?
    The topic seems to be no topic at all:
    It's a free-for-all apparently.
    Damn, I got one fire finally put out, (thankfully) and find myself embroiled in another...
    Marshmallows and all.
    🙂

September 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scott

Funny how jazzzzz has preached and has quoated from the bible. Yet she fights with others. She does not practice what she preaches. What a phonney.

September 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT© ( elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior )

sometimes i wonder if jesus has laser vision like cyclops.. or many he is like weapon x and has all the powers..

September 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@Scott:

A wise woman once said something to the effect that trashing someone online falls on deaf ears.
    You don't know her at all.

September 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |