September 3rd, 2011

7.0 earthquake strikes near Vanuatu in South Pacific

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 struck Sunday morning off the southern tip of the South Pacific archipelago of Vanuatu, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake struck about 75 miles (122 km) southeast of Isangel, the administrative capital of the island of Tanna, and 134 miles (217 km) northeast of New Caledonia's Loyalty Islands.

A tsunami alert has not been issued for the South Pacific or the U.S. western coast.

Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Vanuatu
  1. the bible

...and are not interested in commercial propaganda, which only works on those blinded by their own blind-faith.

September 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

John 8:12 I am the light of the world. whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of the world

September 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzz

I'm saying my faith is real, God is real, I'm real. I'm here, I care, no misunderstandings

September 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

@bobcat2u:
    Whoa! You guys sure have some nasty things going on weatherwise!
    I hope you and your family are ok...

September 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

@banasy

Yeah, we're doing alright ! Just getting some real rough hits from time to time.
    But actually, this kind of like a summer thunderstorm after some of the storms I rode out. Including Katrina. That one made me a believwer.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts.

September 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Thank you Philip. I appreciate your kindness. And you too,my sista. I know it may sound hokey but comin here after work is one of my favorite parts of the day. And hey bobcat! Break out the bumbershoot! always wanted ta use that word but never had a reason!!

September 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

50,000 fled Katrina, and more people lost their lives running-away from her than those who stayed. While the fires in San Diego a few years ago saw 600,000 people being forced to evacuate...some, like myself, twice. The city of Denver, CO. has no official plans for evacuation from aby kind of attack...by terrorists or from the weather. We've seen what happens when people run. They trample each other.

September 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat2u

@Philip

In a lot of cases like Katrina, it is better to stay put in \stead of getting caught out on the open road. I don't want to even imagine being stranded on the the road in a car with a hurricane coming over top of you. But Katrina will be something I will remember for the rest of my life.
    That's why I try to impress upon people how important it is to pay attention to these things. And I sure do get attacked over it too.

September 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

Of interest, this one fella that I know well took his little trailer-mounted foam generator pulled by his old 1987 Jeep Cherokee the back-way into this little valley outside of San diego filled with mountain retreat "cabins", and covered one of the city's Fire Chief's cabin with inert stable foam, not unlike the foam he used to use while drilling for oil and Ng in environmentaly sensitive areas of the world for over a decade. Every pace in the valley was burned to the ground, save the one cabin. Was the fire dept. interested in this amazing device? No! They even tried to find him and have him arrested for trespassing! he he...he was fishing near Bullhead City, Az before they could get a bead on him. His foam generator is buried in the desert just south of Alpine, CA. and only I know where it is! ha ha 🙂

September 4, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Troll Emergency Meeting

@raven-Request Denied.

September 4, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Funny.
    Mean, but funny.

September 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. raven

@troll e.m. : roger that.( and it WAS kinda funny)

September 5, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mad Hatter

*gibbs slap* to the trolls. And now that I said that I will be trolled. Why I stopped commenting but still enjoy everyone's wit and humor. Yeah the earth is shaking things up. I'm still getting on the flight for hawaii. Will be on the beach digging toes in sand and enjoying the luau. Cheers to everyone!!

September 5, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Yes, the Sab Diego Fire Dept. were probaly more interested in trolling than they were in that fell's invention. Hay! Just like here!

September 5, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. the prophet

Good day lord followers, what can the lord do for you

September 5, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |