Blue Angels to fly on biofuels
A Navy logo on a Blue Angels F/A-18 Hornet indicates the service's commitment to biofuels.
September 3rd, 2011

Blue Angels to fly on biofuels

When the six F/A-18 Hornets in the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team thrill the crowds at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River Air Expo in Maryland this weekend, they'll be soaring on biofuel.

Each of the six Hornets will be powered by a 50/50-blend of jet fuel and camelina-based biofuel, according to a Navy press release.

Camelina is a high-oil flowering plant grown in rotation on land used for wheat and on land too marginal for food production, according to Sustainable Oils, the company providing it to the military. Sustainable Oils says camelina can also reduce carbon emissions by 80% over jet fuel.

The camelina mix has been successfully tested in several military aircraft, including the Air Force's A-10 Thunderbolt, F-15 Eagle, F-22 Raptor and C-17 Globemaster, as well as the Navy F/A-18. Two Air Force F-16s from the Thunderbirds demonstration team flew with the mix during a performance in May, the service and Sustainable Fuels said.

"This will be the first time an entire unit has flown on a biofuel mix," Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said in the Navy release. "Changing the kinds of fuels we use and the way we use them is critical to assuring the Navy and Marine Corps remain the most formidable expeditionary fighting force the world has ever known."

By 2016, the Navy plans to deploy the Great Green Fleet, an aircraft carrier strike group powered entirely by non-fossil fuels, Mabus has said.

Post by:
Filed under: Agriculture • Aviation • Environment • Military • U.S. Navy
  1. Cesar

The world is an angel, and I am its wings.

September 3, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

Guys, You have no Idea how upset I am! They where here in upstate about a month ago and practicing right around my job site. I had the phone cam out and everything! at one point I was standing on the sidewalk next to my building and all 3 had been banking it, in front, all the sudden I see them appear from behind the building and couldn't lift my phone up fast enough to catch it. dang nabbit ... I could posted it here, woulda been perfect. O well, there's always next year.

September 3, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzz

awwww, Cesar, you are indeed... Good morning to you buddy!

September 3, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior )

I ALWAYS wondered what happen to old camels... they get ground up into camelina and turned into rocket fuel....

September 3, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. Andreas Moser

I saw the Navy Blue Angels in Florida a decade ago. Brilliant!

September 3, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

RUFFLES, how ya doing this fine morning, Pal
    Hug ... 🙂

September 3, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

great.. cept i have a bounty on my head now... knuck is after me and my space ships..

September 3, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzz

? who is knuck, I haven't been posting or reading for the past week.

September 3, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

there is one guy that is after me most of all.. i think it is "issac asimov" he has been espinogineing me a bunch.. luckly i keep my space ships that i control safely outta the 6 galaxy...

September 3, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

knuck is an alliance of evil space captains... in andromeda..
    they are at war with ddc.. goto -> ogame"dot"org universe andromeda.united kindom server...

September 3, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

Hi Jazzz hi RuffNutt.

September 3, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

wooo, ok, I'll get to that one today for sure, just want have some concept of what your talking about. He he
    Hi again Cesar, hope life"s treating you well.

September 3, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

join my allamce "gkop" golden knights of prosperity... and together we will rule the universe!!! dont do like darth vaders girl and chicken out...

September 3, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

My alliance will always be with you RUFFLES
      OTAY

September 3, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

hello.. think one of those blue angel jet engines would fit in the back of my car?

September 3, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzzzzzzz

I'll be there, to help ya shove it in, if you let me test it out . lol

September 3, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. RUFFNUTT (elf slayer & 15th lvl warrior & leader of the "golden knights of prosperity " )

my car could be just like the batmobile...only faster...
    sure officer i'll pull over... "winks",,,, then activatesjet engine... swoosh-> 300 mph later no cop in sight...

September 3, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |